Stolen Ruby Elite Specialized 2009 -taken on 5/9/09 fromTooley Street, London Bridge, London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Hi all

This is the second time in less than 6 months...following good pratice on locking up the bike in both cases.

Search the stolen forum and you will find part one when my bike got stolen last time.

Bike was stolen today (5/9/09) on Tooley Street in London - near London Bridge

It is a 2009 Specialized Ruby Elite blue with black bits on the frame 51cm, the frame number is WUD70643554B
There were 2 black specialized watercages on the bike, polar computer components -speed sensor on front wheel and cadence sensor on crank arm. Look Keo Sprint pedals (I'm certain a lot of this will be removed and replaced with crap components but not the original stuff)

Was protected by Kryptonite New York Lock - does anyone have any experience of claiming their anti theft protection money and is it paid on top of my insurace (my premium is going to hit the roof when I renew it next year) and a Force4 alarmed lock - am kicking myself that I didn't take the Abus X PLus with me as well as that usually comes along but I suppose one less lock to replace.

Reported to the police and will be looking out on gumtre/ebay over the next few days. Hope the insurance is quicker than last time- love this bike but part of me wonders how long until the next replacement is stolen.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not good - do you have the busted New York Lock - they will need that for the claim.

Which NY lock was it - I've got the Forgedit Mini....

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Hi Fossyant

No lock of course- it was taken with the bike -both locks - makes the scheme a waste of time - I will try and get it of course as obviously the lock failed otherwise I would still have my bike.

The lock was a New York STD 3000

orienteer

Might turn up at Brick Lane market tomorrow (Sunday). Worth going along with proof of ownership, best to call a cop before confronting any seller.

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
the last time it turned up on gumtree- police were useless - do a search on this forum and you'll get the full story of theft no1.

It won't likely turn up at Brick Lane as the bikes sold down there are usually sold for pennies - this bike was last advertised for £600 - less than half of it's original price- let alone the upgrades to componentry on it.

Kuota M

I am so sorry to read your news. These thieves who steal our bikes make me sick.

I was told by a policeman a couple of days ago that I could:

1- follow up by going to Brick Lane walking around and seeing if I can see my bikes for sale
2- approach the seller as an interested party without letting.
3- check the bike fully for signs that it is my bike then say to the seller you will have a think about it
4- dial 999 and wait for the police to come

The way I see it is like this: You weren't there when it happened, you were not assaulted and therefore have no bad residual memories of having your property taken from you and you are insured. The quicker you are riding again, the better you will feel.
This is my experience.

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
this bike is unlikely to be trundled down to brick lane as people buy bikes from there for cheap - the people who stole this bike were professionals as the locks would need an angle grinder to get through and other bikes were left on the rack so they knew the value of this bike. The last time my bike was stolen - same type- it was sold on gumtree for £600 - they'd taken off the computer sensors and changed the pedals- it was sold for less than half the value of the bike-much much below the value. Police didn't help me last time - doubt they will this time- was waiting in the police station last time when it got sold as the police refused to accompany me but they wouldn't be direct about this.

Checking online -this bike has gone up by nearly £500 - that with another £100/£200 for locks means I am likely to be forking out that near £700 on top of my insurance claim.

Is it worth it? Joy from cycling a good bike and having to go through this again in a few months - got the bike on C2W and have paid for the tax free amount more than a few times now- will have funded a couple of very cheap bikes for some enthusiasts out there.

ttcycle, sorry you are feeling so low about this.

I've responded to your other thread too. I had three bikes nicked in a very short period of time. Actually, technically four. Two were datatagged. One was nearly recovered by the police but they were too slow. That's the one my partner was mugged for - I left her with it for thirty seconds whilst I fetched her bike from the shed.

Despite knowing the thieves - they were part of a gang of kids who hung around with another kid who lived over the road, justice hasn't been done. It's sickening.

I hate bike thieves. I hate any thieves, but particularly bike thieves.

There will be future cycle to work schemes. Just get yourself cycling again. Try a second hand Spesh Dolce, Trek WSD etc., get it filthy and keep it filthy, sticker bomb it, hand paint it. Make it your trusty work horse. With a few tweaks I'm sure you will get it just so - and when your ripping the legs off carbon roadies you get a smug feeling to go with it.

In the mean time you can save up for a replacement Ruby, or maybe something different this time?

carrock

is this it on e-bay

I was looking for a ruby for my wife and saw this on e-bay-blue/black in london- for sale finsihing on 18th November

No frame size, when i mailed the seller he replied 18" so obviiously knows nothing about how road bikes are sized, so this raised my suspicions and I checked out his history....

And he's sold 6 bikes in last 6 weeks....hmmmmmm

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Thanks for this Carrock - I'm going to investigate it.

Doubt the police will act on it but worth a try I guess!

carrock

stolen bike

I'd get on to the police and also to e-bay- I was suspicious that the seller copied and pasted an ad and didnt seem to know when I emailed asking for the frame size- he said 18". ( not 45cm or whatever )

Has also sold 6 other bikes in last 6 weeks- all with vague descriptions.....

Good Luck!!

carrock

stolen

Yes- my wife wants a Ruby, was looking at the 2010 elite is now £1600 compared to £1100 last year- although with Roubaix type frame so I was looking for a good secondhand one, and this came up on e-bay

The seller is also advertising a 2008 Stumpjumper, with a similar lack of knowledge

Personally, I would never buy a bike from e-bay without proof of purchase, handbook, warranty, and wouldn't buy from someone who has an obvious lack of knowledge.

On a more positive note- my wife will be selling her 53cm Bianchi Camaleonte flatbar road bike with 105 components and carbon forks if anyone's interested.Still with 10 months bianchi warranty and proof of purchase- £500 OVNO

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
if you find out that it's yours let us know. Some of us would be willing to accompany you when you pick it up...

Top Bottom