England : Kent Summer Cinque Ports Ride 6th Aug & 3rd Sept

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
20160725_102655.jpg

After a successful Beer and Beach Huts ride on the Kent Coast last weekend several people have mentioned other parts of the South East coast which offer great cycling opportunities.

This ride is from Ashford International Station, through the Kentish lanes and villages then down onto the marshlands of New Romney, breaking around 15 miles for a breather and a cuppa and then onwards skirting the coastline around Dungeness before heading back along the marsh roads to the ancient Cinque Port and town of Rye in East Sussex. From here after a break people can choose to complete the circular route back to Ashford or relax a while longer, enjoy the old town and let the train take the strain back to Ashford and beyond.

The ride is all downhill to Dungeness and pan flat onwards to Rye. For those that like a rolling hill or two the return route from Rye can be adapted to suite.

Back in 2012 @Flying Dodo organised a circular route from which this ride is born and one which has been mentioned was very enjoyable so much of the credit must go his way. This is his GPX of the route.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/1340202.
Going with local advice and updated cycle paths it will be tweeked a little but the route and elevation is basically the same.

Something to bear in mind. After leaving Ashford the route can be very exposed especially after we drop off the sea wall around Littlestone and once again leave Dungeness so ensure you have your Factor 50, head coverage and water. We will be stopping en route but if its a hot day it could get uncomfortable.

I have two dates in mind, both Saturdays, 6th August or 3rd September and i will go with the date that the majority can make.

Keep and eye on this post as i will update with photos over the next couple of weeks to give you an idea of the area and terrain.

6th August
@Hill Wimp
@ianrauk
@User13710
@deptfordmarmoset
@User ?
@Stephen Piper
@User10571
@rb58

3rd September
@Hill Wimp[/USER
[USER=13710]@User13710

@rich p ?
@Salty seadog[/USER]
@Stephen Piper
@StuAff
@deptfordmarmoset
@Diggs
@User10571
@All the gear no idea
@HertzvanRental
@Nigel182
@jojo2512
@anothersam
@Tim Hall
@Fab Foodie ??
@topcat1
@hopless500 + Paul
@Charlotte Alice Button
@User
UPDATE 23/7/16

Both dates will run and meet at Ashford International at 10am outside International Departures.
20160725_102536_001.jpg

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm provisionally available for both those dates.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Interested. Acts of Southern Railway likely to cause problems for me getting to & from Ashford and Rye though....

An old riding bud of mine (actually has a CC profile but hasn't posted on here in years) lives in Rye. He might have some recommendations for food stops etc, I could ask him if it's of use?

U

User10571

I'm potentially available for either date, although if my sis decides to have a barbie for my nieces birthday on the 3rd I could be tempted by the bubbles.....
One thing to bear in mind for this ride is that once you have left the outskirts of Ashford, the ride is very exposed.
There is no shade, anywhere.
If it is a hot day, and you do not have sufficient hat / water / factor 30, you will be toast, and not in a good way.
DAHIKT

OP
OP
Hill Wimp

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
I'm potentially available for either date, although if my sis decides to have a barbie for my nieces birthday on the 3rd I could be tempted by the bubbles.....
One thing to bear in mind for this ride is that once you have left the outskirts of Ashford, the ride is very exposed.
There is no shade, anywhere.
If it is a hot day, and you do not have sufficient hat / water / factor 30, you will be toast, and not in a good way.
DAHIKT
Sound advice. I will put a mention in the OP.

Top Bottom