Superteams Killing Pro Cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
'ball kicking' does not have a salary cap I don't think, but it does work in N American sports, very few endless years of domination by a few select teams there in pro sports.
There are Salary Caps in Rugby League too.

Issue is that beyond the superstars, most athletes retire at 30 to 35, with no other life skills, no work experience. And then struggle to find work, as the salaries aren't high enough to live off due to salary caps.

I don't agree with it, but if you want the highest levels of fitness and ability, then salary has to be unrestricted.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
How much revenue does a pro cyclist generate in comparison to a top level footballer?
Different model. How many chances do you get to see top level athletes performing for free?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Youngsters just coming into pro, top level rugby league. Won't be on much more than £20k per year.
I'm sure there's way to see that for free but the top level almost inevitably perform in inturned arenas with walls all round that mean you have to be either in the trade or pay. Pro riders ride public roads and watching is free unless you want a sight of the very final. And personally, I'd never pay to watch the finish of a race in a pen.

I'm sure there's way to see that for free but the top level almost inevitably perform in inturned arenas with walls all round that mean you have to be either in the trade or pay. Pro riders ride public roads and watching is free unless you want a sight of the very final. And personally, I'd never pay to watch the finish of a race in a pen.

Sorry! It's late! I totally misread your statement. I thought you was asking how often you see the athletes performing for free. As in, how often they're not paid. Not, how often can you watch the sport for free :biggrin:

Either way, I think all professional sports which have a limited career span, have a duty to ensure that those that retire from it. Have enough to continue living at a reasonable standard.

oldroadman

Veteran
Sorry! It's late! I totally misread your statement. I thought you was asking how often you see the athletes performing for free. As in, how often they're not paid. Not, how often can you watch the sport for free :biggrin:

Either way, I think all professional sports which have a limited career span, have a duty to ensure that those that retire from it. Have enough to continue living at a reasonable standard.

Well, maybe, but professional sport is a career choice with all the associated risks. A few do very well indeed, the rest get by and have to think what they do after retiring, because in my experience, a comfortable retirement is not an option for the majority. Like everyone else who works for a living, no job is for life and you have to move on and take opportunities when they come. Just because a 10 - 15 year career is over in sport, that sport does not owe you a living. Wise heads who earn a bit invest it, not splash it on flash cars and the like, simple economics, investing pays longer term, and long after the fans have forgotten who you were (if they ever knew when most riders are simply domestiques doing their job).

Well, maybe, but professional sport is a career choice with all the associated risks. A few do very well indeed, the rest get by and have to think what they do after retiring, because in my experience, a comfortable retirement is not an option for the majority. Like everyone else who works for a living, no job is for life and you have to move on and take opportunities when they come. Just because a 10 - 15 year career is over in sport, that sport does not owe you a living. Wise heads who earn a bit invest it, not splash it on flash cars and the like, simple economics, investing pays longer term, and long after the fans have forgotten who you were (if they ever knew when most riders are simply domestiques doing their job).

True, they need to take that on board. Admittedly I am not a Cycling (as a sport) fan, but I am a huge rugby fan. Those kids spend a lot of time, and destroy their body, and don't get the opportunity to learn other skills. Which is, at the end of it, for my enjoyment, and for the enjoyment of others. Not a lot earn the money to invest, or even get a flash car. Most of these guys finish their careers at £50k per year. There's only so many media roles in the sport available, only so many coaching jobs available.

Any sport that relies on spectators, or using athletes to generate revenue. I believe has a duty of care, either to ensure these guys are still well educated and prepared for life after a short sports career, or earn enough to not end up in a dark place.

Footballers could probably play a couple of years in the premier league and retire very comfortably. Not many other sports over here offer that. Rugby players, cyclist, we as fans, are expecting them to be training full time, performing at the highest level. Where getting other skills would detract from their performance we want to see. There's enough money in these sports to pay these guys, it just needs to be split more fairly.

oldroadman

Veteran
True, they need to take that on board. Admittedly I am not a Cycling (as a sport) fan, but I am a huge rugby fan. Those kids spend a lot of time, and destroy their body, and don't get the opportunity to learn other skills. Which is, at the end of it, for my enjoyment, and for the enjoyment of others. Not a lot earn the money to invest, or even get a flash car. Most of these guys finish their careers at £50k per year. There's only so many media roles in the sport available, only so many coaching jobs available.

Any sport that relies on spectators, or using athletes to generate revenue. I believe has a duty of care, either to ensure these guys are still well educated and prepared for life after a short sports career, or earn enough to not end up in a dark place.

Footballers could probably play a couple of years in the premier league and retire very comfortably. Not many other sports over here offer that. Rugby players, cyclist, we as fans, are expecting them to be training full time, performing at the highest level. Where getting other skills would detract from their performance we want to see. There's enough money in these sports to pay these guys, it just needs to be split more fairly.

There's also enough money in most businesses to pay basic level workers more and ease back on executive salaries, but it does not happen. Sport simply mirrors life, that is, it ain't fair. As to whether there is enough money in cycling to do what is suggested, then who will be the brave team owner who says "right guys, all salaries are reduced so that the lower paid riders can get more and sort out a pension for when they retire". Hmm...as in life, in sport you have to sort yourself out and do what's necessary to secure a future by using the money you receive well, as any financial planner would tell you. because the sport does not and cannot have a responsibility for every single rider including those who are perhaps less ready to take sound advice and plan for the 45 years + that remain
after retirement.

OP
OP
bikeman66

bikeman66

It is really interesting to see how my original post has developed in to a much more comprehensive debate. It's the great thing about forums like this.........everyone has a slightly different point of view and the deeper in to it you get, the more the wider picture forms! Good stuff!

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Jamie roberts plays rugby at the highest level there is. Still managed to train to become a doctor to take care of his future after rugby. You either want it or you dont.

Nothing in life is for free. If you want a good life work for it. No one owes you a living.

Jamie roberts plays rugby at the highest level there is. Still managed to train to become a doctor to take care of his future after rugby. You either want it or you dont.

Nothing in life is for free. If you want a good life work for it. No one owes you a living.

Typical union player. Dr from a rich boy uni :biggrin:

His wiki profile said he graduated in 2013 after 8 years of studying, at that time professionalism in union was still questionable, and may have been considerably more lax than now

jowwy

His wiki profile said he graduated in 2013 after 8 years of studying, at that time professionalism in union was still questionable, and may have been considerably more lax than now
Your just making excuses. Simple as that.

oldroadman

Veteran

Good gracious, does one sniff a hint of regional prejudice in the air? :rolleyes:

jowwy

Also to add a side note....union became professional in 1995. Jamie roberts starting training to become a doctor in 2005 during the professional era.

So again......if you want a good life after rugby. Earn it, just like everyone else. Just because you was once a pro rugby player, it doesnt mean the sport owes you a wage for life.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
So again......if you want a good life after rugby. Earn it, just like everyone else. Just because you was once a pro rugby player, it doesnt mean the sport owes you a wage for life.

The class element here is not irrelevent. Although it has been changing in recent years, Rugby Union (*in England and Scotland at least) has always been a sport of the relatively privileged, those who have easier access (because of family money and upbringing) to things like university education so they can make these kinds of decisions. I'm afraid it's just not the case that those who have access to these things have 'earned' them any more than those who have less easy access.

Cycling, like Rugby League and Football and Boxing amongst others, was for a long time a working class sport, and in many ways, it still is. The highly educated are a minority amongst professional cyclists, and so your comparison is not really valid. For many people who don't have the range of opportunities of most of those who have traditionally played Union*, sport offers a way up and out. People put their bodies on the line for the sport, its sponsors, media, the fans etc. - because that's what they've got. And they don't necessarily have all those other options to fall back on. So, in these cases, it does make far more sense to think about what the sport's authorities and teams can do for those people after they can no longer compete.

Top Bottom