Superteams Killing Pro Cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hont

Guru
There are lots of things that concern me about pro-cycling: doping, mechanical doping, corruption, the domination of the Tour (and the trial by media of whoever wins), the behaviour of some roadside fans, the predictability of flat stages, the reliance of teams on sponsorship, keeping track of Pippo's tattoos...but I'm not really worried about a handful of teams dominating. The best riders will always look to be a leader elsewhere than be content with the crumbs from the table.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
The class element here is not irrelevent. Although it has been changing in recent years, Rugby Union (*in England and Scotland at least) has always been a sport of the relatively privileged, those who have easier access (because of family money and upbringing) to things like university education so they can make these kinds of decisions. I'm afraid it's just not the case that those who have access to these things have 'earned' them any more than those who have less easy access.

Cycling, like Rugby League and Football and Boxing amongst others, was for a long time a working class sport, and in many ways, it still is. The highly educated are a minority amongst professional cyclists, and so your comparison is not really valid. For many people who don't have the range of opportunities of most of those who have traditionally played Union*, sport offers a way up and out. People put their bodies on the line for the sport, its sponsors, media, the fans etc. - because that's what they've got. And they don't necessarily have all those other options to fall back on. So, in these cases, it does make far more sense to think about what the sport's authorities and teams can do for those people after they can no longer compete.
I'll think you'll find by reading the thread, that its not my comparison at all.

I was just highlighting the fact that you need to think your future in pro sport, when its a short career. As no one owes you a living once that career path is over.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I'll think you'll find by reading the thread, that its not my comparison at all.

I was just highlighting the fact that you need to think your future in pro sport, when its a short career. As no one owes you a living once that career path is over.

Nothing wrong with my reading ability thank-you. I am saying that your argument is too simplistic and ideological, and ignores the differences in opportunities that sportspeople in different sports tend to have. In other words the situation deserves a more sympathetic and thoughtful response than 'no one owes you a living'.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Nothing wrong with my reading ability thank-you. I am saying that your argument is too simplistic and ideological, and ignores the differences in opportunities that sportspeople in different sports tend to have. In other words the situation deserves a more sympathetic and thoughtful response than 'no one owes you a living'.
Maybe im a believer in you get nothing in life for free........you work, you get paid. Simple as that. Not everyone is born into the same oppurtunities or with a silver spoon in their mouth.

Work, get paid, live........simple as that in my eyes

Citius

Jowwy seems very intent on making the point that ex-pros are not owed a living. Are any ex-pros actually demanding a living?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTY2o7YKKum_vVU3FwwEF6zjNi4rulD9L-lvfEV4SUIxVgu5_Djtw.jpg

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
I'm pretty sure the PFA run some sort of scheme to help old pros who have fallen on hard times.
that's because they represent the players, not the sport…

oldroadman

Veteran
I'm pretty sure the PFA run some sort of scheme to help old pros who have fallen on hard times.
The PFA is a union, not a governing body. It's also awash with money like most things in professional football.
Governing bodies cannot be responsible for retired competitors, who made a choice to compete and may have done very well, or not. How they arrange their financial affairs for later life is a personal matter.

I went to the Alps a few years ago and asked around to see if I could find Willie Voet as I had heard he was now a bus driver, but I failed to find him. It was the same year as Landis cheated on. Here's me getting a phonecall from my wife to tell me that Landis was 16 (I think that was his maximum advantage?) minutes ahead..

1915149_102279659783700_3512077_n.jpg

When I finished the call I said to my elder daughter (who took this picture) "I'm sorry, they are all cheats"...

That reminds me, that cheating git owes me 30quid in data roaming charges trying to follow the action via text updates on some dodgy PDA linked to my phone.

Landis not Marmion.

Top Bottom