Surely LHT 26" vs 700 mm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kstep7711

hi I'm new to the site and new to touring. I have been riding for a few years now and am retiring this year so I plan to ride from Daytona Fl to San Diego Ca next fall. Here is my question. I have been riding a treck fx with 700 tires and I average 50-60 miles a day but now I want to buy a touring bike for the ride.

I really like the Surly LHT but in my size it has 26 rims, will that make much difference and if do can I put the larger wheels on it? Or is there another tourer I should consider instead. I will be pulling a trailer for my dog and gear. Please let me know what you think as all input will be very helpful.
Thanks, Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
26" wheels are preferable on smaller frames, they avoid toe-clip overlap, which is important on a loaded bike. They keep the steering geometry optimal rather than bodged for over-sized wheels. They keep the head-tube long for better headset performance.
Mid-sized LHTs are available in both wheels sizes. Which size do you need.
26˝ wheels in 42–62cm frame sizes,
700c wheels in 56–64cm.

Aarkeus

Regular
From my research I believe 26 inch wheels are stronger so that should mean less chance of spokes breaking. Not sure how much effect on distance they would have compared to 700c but then does that matter?
Aark.

Top Bottom