Swapping slightly worn rear tyre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
My rear tyre on my hybrid is showing signs of wear . Just losing thread pattern so I have decided to swap it with the front tyre which still has a pretty good thread on in . I presume this is OK or am I missing something . I new to this maintence stuff . This is the first time I've had a tyre off in twenty plus years and it was harder than I remember but with much swearing and brute force and ignorance it got done . all good practice for when I need to do at the side of the road

U

User6179

Leave the old one on the back , worn tyres tend to be more puncture prone so better a back end puncture than front end one especially at speed down a hill , when the backs totally knackered then I would stick a new one on the front and the old front one on the back .

tyred

Legendary Member
I think he wants to swap the worn rear with the less worn front. Many people will say this is dangerous but I don't agree and always have the best tyre on the back as it carries the most weight and is most likely to fail or puncture.

I wouldn't bother to swap them around to even out wear though, just replace the back tyre when it's totally knackered.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Yes swapped them round front to rear and vica versa. Rear was not badly worn just losing track pattern just balance out the wear

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Bad idea, what you should do is keep the back tyre on until it is worn out then fit the front tyre to the rear and put a new one on the front.
The reasoning for this is it's pretty easy to control a bike with a rear tyre problem but difficult to control a front so the 'best' tyre should always be the front one.

Mobytek

cycles, cars, motorbikes have the same rule - new on the front, worn to rear. On cycles and motorbikes with the rear being the driven wheels, the tread is less of a concern over the front steering wheels.

On cars, similar reason, unless you have FWD whereby the part worn rears go on the front and news on the back thus keeping the level of tread similarish and not having brand new tread which can cause large differences to the handling of the vehicle when you get the new ones fitted...

So going by the first paragraph - the front is where you need the grip to turn and displace water etc, whereas the rear is less of a need other than preventing wheelspin (!). New on front, move worn front to rear - unless you have odd wheels like a butchers bike!!!

potsy

Rambler
And tread is irrelevant on bike tyres. It has no function.
Unless it's a mtb, then it may come in handy ;)

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Thanks for all the replies even if some contradict others. I should have said the reason I thought about switching the tyres was during my break in Cornwall on some off road routes I struggled for traction on some uphills so thought some tread may be beneficial . I have swapped the tyres but not given it a test ride . I will do this then make a decision it not a major job to swap them back more pratice.

Citius

I should have said the reason I thought about switching the tyres was during my break in Cornwall on some off road routes I struggled for traction on some uphills so thought some tread may be beneficial

Tread on road cycle tyres is irrelevant, so if you are expecting 'more tread' might give you better grip on the road - it won't.

zacklaws

Guru
I think he wants to swap the worn rear with the less worn front. Many people will say this is dangerous but I don't agree and always have the best tyre on the back as it carries the most weight and is most likely to fail or puncture.

When you get a front wheel blow out at speed down a steep hill, it will open your eyes a bit to how dangerous it is to have a worn front tyre and the better tyre on the back. Blowouts on the back are controllable, blowouts on the front are not. After a front wheel blow out, you would soon rush out to get a new tyre for the front........as well as a pair of new underpants.

I know from experience. twice, and these were with tyres in good condition, one being almost brand new and it was shredded to bits whilst trying to stop, so if it can happen with a newish tyre, the odds of it happening with a worn tyre are increased

Last edited:
Top Bottom