tandem..first ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
The wife and myself have a "kids prezzie to use". Tandem ride..
now i fancy doing Rutland 24miler with pub lunch...she wants 9 mile Grafham water...

so are these things a challenge or just a case of front rider takes control like on a motorcycle...

how hard can it be?

Over too you

Starting off first time is a bit tricky. Practice it a couple of times to get the coordination right.

Pilot has control of brakes and steering - but, trust me, the stoker sure as hell appreciates communication about bumps, potholes, sudden changes of direction, and that you are about to ride through bollards (don't forget you are effectively riding an artic!).

And it is FUN!

Mrs M

Guru
My pal and I rode a tandem on a school trip around Millport many moons ago.
I was a bit tricky at first but once we got the hang of it it was great fun :smile:
Go for it :bicycle::bicycle:

classic33

Leg End Member
You'll find out if you really trust each other. Takes a bit to getting used, starting & stopping. And as the stoker you get the chance of taking it easy as well.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
The wife and myself have a "kids prezzie to use". Tandem ride..
now i fancy doing Rutland 24miler with pub lunch...she wants 9 mile Grafham water...

so are these things a challenge or just a case of front rider takes control like on a motorcycle...

how hard can it be?

Over too you

If I don't hear from you again I'll know you didn't survive the experience.

Sheldon Brown's take

"The captain has two major responsibilities:
  • To control the bike, including balancing it whether stopped or in motion, as well as steering, shifting, braking.
  • To keep the stoker happy! A tandem isn't a tandem without a stoker. The captain must earn the stoker's confidence,must stop when the stoker wants to stop, must slow down when the stoker wants to slow down."
:laugh:

How? Stokers can't usually freewheel independently.
My young 'un put her feet on the frame, well out of reach of the pedals. She thinks I don't know.

Top Bottom