TdeF 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
Let's face it, who wouldn't want to wear a maillot jaune with a cock on it...?

B0isAIVCMAAjyME.png

Well, technically, two cocks including the manufacturer's logo :thumbsup:

The Couch

Über Member
...I can see that the ASO might not want to have the polka dot jersey go to someone who is not the best climber* AND the green jersey go to someone who doesn't win a stage.
Without actually Google-ing it...I believe probably the same might apply to the Yellow jersey
Hasn't it (or making it a bit more broad, the leader jersey in one of the 3 GTs) been won without winning any stages either? So someone wins a Grand Tour, but never crossed the line first :smile: (I believe one of the biggest struggles for the "newbies" who start watching pro-cycling)
*Quintana aside when was the last time the dots went to the meilleur grimpeur? Chiapucci?
I am totally in favour of them doing everything in their power to stop Pierre Rolland getting the KOM jersey.
Still...most of the time the ones going for the KOM jersey make it an interesting spectacle (e.g. *Winky* Majka ;)) and probably in many instances they do manage to win one of the climbing stages as well.
But of course I do agree, the KOM jersey wearer mostly ain't the best climber either indeed

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Hasn't it (or making it a bit more broad, the leader jersey in one of the 3 GTs) been won without winning any stages either?

Classic pub quiz question. Firmin Lambot is the answer.

Actually, I just looked it up and there have been a few more (can't believe I forgot Lemond). Roger Walkowiak in 1956 is apparently the only TdF winner to have never won a stage...

His name entered the French language in the phrase "à la Walko", which means "won by an undeserving or unknown rider".

I don't recall Ryder Hesjedal winning a stage when he won the Giro but I checked and of course Garmin won the TTT. Does that count? Was Ryder the first Garmin rider across the line?

Last edited:

The Couch

Über Member
I don't recall Ryder Hesjedal winning a stage when he won the Giro but I checked and of course Garmin won the TTT. Does that count? Was Ryder the first Garmin rider across the line?
Does that count... not really :smile:
(although to be fair at least he was most likely one of the driving forces in the team, unlike TTT where the GT rider doesn't have to do anything)

Was he the first rider to cross the line... no (but it wouldn't have made a difference to me anyway ;))

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Didn't Armstrong win once only winning a TT?
Maybe Wiggo too?
I appreciate that TTs are stage wins but...

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Surely Indurain won his Tours with TT wins only?
Not got time to look it up.....
He generally had the grace to allow someone else to win mountain stages that he had essentially won. One of the reasons he remains my favourite rider

The Couch

Über Member
Didn't Armstrong win once only winning a TT?
Maybe Wiggo too?
I appreciate that TTs are stage wins but...
A timetrial win is a personal win, so for me that counts definitely as a stage win
A team time trail isn't really a personal win, putting e.g. put Andy Schleck together with Martin, Wiggo, Phinney, Froome, Dennis and Kwiatkowski they'll most likely win the (long) TTT, but I wouldn't count it as a stage win for Schleck

Anyway, sorry for the diversion of the topic ;)

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Anyway, sorry for the diversion of the topic
It's the silly season, so divert away till TdU or San Luis!

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Goes uphill rather quickly for such a big unit, doesn't he? :whistle:
Indeed, those massive lungs and that massive heart helped!

I doubt very much Mig wasn't juiced, everyone was back then - but it's interesting comparing Mig to other recent multiple Tour winners. He always kept to himself and never made a big fuss about himself, and virtually no one ever talks about him doping. Now, compare that to LA...

Massive respect for the dude, still my favourite champion, no ego whatsoever...

Hont

Guru
I doubt very much Mig wasn't juiced, everyone was back then - but it's interesting comparing Mig to other recent multiple Tour winners. He always kept to himself and never made a big fuss about himself, and virtually no one ever talks about him doping. Now, compare that to LA...

I agree he did appear to be a classy guy, but if you're a doper, you're a doper. What kind of guy he was doesn't alter the fact that he cheated.

Top Bottom