TdF conspiracy theories

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ayceejay

Guru
Isn't it odd that so many of the top riders have crashed out this year?
The latest was Contador whose forks snapped (or so I heard).
Many of the bikes including Sky's Pinarellos are new, even experimental designs so is there something about the bikes or the roads - riders skills or is there something darker afoot?

It's carnage every year but normally the top names avoid it. And he fell off, no broken forks.

I read somewhere that he had broken his knee due to a fall.
Tibia. Then he got back on and rode to the top of the next col before deciding it was a tadge painful. Sergio Henao broke his knee in the Giro and Andy Schleck ripped most of his meniscii in this years tour.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
The bike was broken whilst in transit on a team car, and not the bike that crashed out.

BSRU

A Human Being
Isn't it odd that so many of the top riders have crashed out this year?
The latest was Contador whose forks snapped (or so I heard).
Many of the bikes including Sky's Pinarellos are new, even experimental designs so is there something about the bikes or the roads - riders skills or is there something darker afoot?
Contador has stated he had only one hand on the handlebar due to eating at the time and he hit a pot hole which caused the crash.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I can't see any grounds for anything darker
It seems that:
Cav was a racing incident. Possibly precipitated by over-agression on his part.
Froome had a bit of bad luck with his initial fall, and injuries from that plus weather triggered his later two falls. Possibly precipitated by the fact that he doesn't seem to be very good at not falling off his bike.
From reports, Bertie was a racing incident, rumours of bike failure have proved to be unfounded. I'd not heard the rumour about forks. Possibly precipitated by over-agression on his part.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I'm surprised that the commentators haven't been reminding us:

You can be a hour ahead;
You can be a hundred points in front in either green or polka dot competitions but

You don't win anything if you don't get to Paris.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Tibia. Then he got back on and rode to the top of the next col before deciding it was a tadge painful. Sergio Henao broke his knee in the Giro and Andy Schleck ripped most of his meniscii in this years tour.
Yeah, I did see the stage on TV. It looked pretty painful when he got back on and tried to carry on.

every year there are crashes and carnage. there are a lot of nerves and accidents happen, it's a matter of luck (for the most part) not to have a bad one. this year has been wet, so there's been more 'little' crashes that have caused damage.

i think we all assume these riders are used to this, but the Tour makes them nervous - it is the world's largest (annual) sporting event, tensions are high.

social media doesn't help, a rumour starts and snowballs.

screenman

Legendary Member
I think Sky have a secret weapon that is taking them out one by one, this will mean when Porte wins they will get huge coverage in another country. It is all controlled by Rupert who is up in one of the helicopters.

Top Bottom