TDF = watching in Yorkshire..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorvernRob

I've got a cottage in Low Bradfield for Sat night so can walk out on Sunday Stage 2 and find a good spec to watch, may have to go a bit to find a climb.

Does anyone have a map for Stage 2 with ballpark estimated times?

The best bet from there is either Oughtibridge Lane which I expect will be very busy, or the climb after Ewden Bank between Midhopestones and Bradfield which is where we will be watching it. I expect it to be fairly quiet there as it's not a residential area, it's around 2.5 miles from Low Bradfield.

As I've posted above, Ewden bank is a narrow 25% descent with 2 hairpins, one of which they'll go around at the bottom then climb again towards where we will be positioned. So, the peloton should be very spread out and have to slow right down for the descent and turns, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if there is a crash on the descent as it's pretty evil. It's even worse going the other way and climbing it though!

There were crashes there in the 2008 tour of Britain including Tom Boonen. Some good info on the area here: http://blog.veloviewer.com/strines-the-final-40km-of-the-tour-de-france-2014-stage-2/ I ride these roads regularly and didn't actually realise how steep they are percentage gradient wise, just that they're leg burners!

Edit: the place where we will be watching is around 2.50 into the second video in the link above, up on the right above the wall should be a great place to watch the riders coming down and back up towards you.

Last edited:

NorvernRob

If anyone is coming to Yorkshire to watch stage 2 around the Bradfield area feel free to give me a shout, I'll be up there with a mate on the Sat morning for a recce and pootle around before Sunday.

7onagrifter

Giant TV screen to be erected on green land aside jenkin road:wincobank sheffield stage 2, great place as the 33% gradient aint long but could well cause major disruption +190km into the stage? Jawbone hill Oughtibridge is another good vantage point but as mentioned it may be chokka?
Will be watching stage 1 on the big screen if anyones around Wincobank area Saturday?

tigger

Über Member
I'll be watching from Bradfield too. I'm taking my wife and 2 young kids so logistically I needed a good child friendly base for the day, so that ruled Holme Moss out unfortunately. I've paid the money and booked in at the Planet X event in Bradfield village hall. Looking forward to it!

http://www.tdf.planetx.co.uk

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
North Yorkshire are saying an hour before the caravans, would be useful if there was an exact listing somewhere
http://northyorks.gov.uk/article/29116/Can-I-ride-on-the-route-on-the-day

This is what the Le Tour Yorkshire website says :

CAN I RIDE ON THE ROUTE ON THE DAY?

You can ride on the stage 1 and 2 routes on race days. The route must be clear 30 minutes before the caravan comes through, approximately two hours before the race itself. This guidance may change on the day, so please follow direction from race stewards if you are asked to clear the route.

Once the last police vehicle in the race convoy has passed after the race, cyclists can ride on the route again. The roads will stay closed to vehicles for a period to allow the crowds to leave. When it is safe to do so, official and operational vehicles will come on to the route to remove any infrastructure, clean the streets and collect staff before the road fully reopens.

Normal rules of the road apply, so make sure you cycle on the correct side of the road. Even though the roads are closed to normal traffic, official and operational vehicles and emergency vehicles may be on the route, so be aware. Cyclists should ride safely and responsibly, and be mindful of vehicles, pedestrians and other road users on the route.

NorvernRob

North Yorkshire are saying an hour before the caravans, would be useful if there was an exact listing somewhere
http://northyorks.gov.uk/article/29116/Can-I-ride-on-the-route-on-the-day

Yeah I saw that too, the original one which I think was Kirklees Council said 2hrs, but then that one and the Sheffield one says half an hour or so before the caravan arrives. It doesn't like it will be an issue unless there are some over-zealous marshals knocking around.

Edit: Just seen the other link posted above, seems the 2hrs and 30 mins are both right, just that it's the caravan and actual race timings.

sheddy

Legendary Member

NorvernRob

The weather forecast isn't looking good for Sunday afternoon at the moment. It can easily change before then though, I'll take more notice of Friday's forecast.

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
We are heading down from Central Scotland tomorrow afternnon, staying in Kendal tomorrow night then over to the buttertubs pass on the Saturday, we have the car booked in to a car park outside hawes and the farmer has said its best if we arrive before 5AM, If i knew that I wouldn't have bothered with the hotel in Kendal as I would have just driven down to hawes during the night, am thinking of taking a few pillows in the car ad having a wee sleep In the car to recharge the batteries before heading up the buttertubs pass late morning

Top Bottom