Tea and sympathy needed, please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Amanda P

Amanda P

Legendary Member
barq said:
I think colds at this time of year are a pretty miserable business

Thankyou. The response I was fishing for! It is miserable - but probably not so miserable as a migraine.

Still, at least Waffly has Waffles to comfort her.

Me, I've only got you lot. :sad:

Night Train

Maker of Things
peanuts said:
I can drink scotch every night for a week or so with no apparent ill-effects then whammo huge migraine that takes 3-4 days to lift. Same with chocy overdose

Another common cause is certain plants in the summer like rapeseed and elder etc . Worth checking yours and your neighbour's gardens for any likely sources.

Certain perfumes and after-shaves can give you a bad headache within 2-3 minutes but will usually subside with half an hour or so of removing the source.
A rare cause is pressure on nerves and infection in sinus or tooth roots but you would usually be aware of swollen face and glands and ear ache and jaw ache as well as migraine.

Some migraine sufferers even suffer with light sensitivity
I was like that with mine. I now avoid a lot of foods and drinks and avoid perfumes and aerosol sprays. The migraines have almost completely gone now but have been replaced by cluster headaches that can give a dull, nauseous ache for weeks on end. Have been on medication to stop them and it has been fairly effective so far if I keep taking the tablets every night and not drink too much.
Homeopathic Belladonna is quite good too.

I saw a large snake at work yesterday!

Metre or so long, and as thick as a partially inflated tube.

No way I was going near that!

wafflycat

barq said:
I think colds at this time of year are a pretty miserable business, and Waffly, as an occasional migraine sufferer, you have my absolute sympathy. In my case I was lucky enough to improve after a course of antidepressants for another ailment (depression, funnily enough :sad:). Feverfew from my herb garden was also useful (if eaten in time).

They made mine even worse. Possibly because I wasn't suffering from depression! Mind you, the level of migraines I got when taking them, could well have made me depressed :biggrin:

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Waffly, I get very occasional migraines, but I've found ove the years that if I can lie down in a darkened room within two or three minutes of getting that blind spot in the eye, they last only a few minutes. Apologies if this sounds simplistic, but hope you receive it in the spirit offered.

wafflycat

I do, Gerry :sad:

I've tried pretty much everything. Now, I just lie down & try to sleep if I can. Preferrably in a darkened, quiet room. Then I wait for it to go. One of the downers is what I refer to as post-migraine fatigue. Once the actual pain has gone, I am *exhausted* as if I'd gone through a great physical effort. It is really *odd*

A

another_dave_b

I used to get migraines occasionally. Lying down in a dark, quiet room was the only effective treatment I ever found.

But since I gave up smoking and coffee (8 years, still have the occasional coffee) migraines have almost completely disappeared.

Top Bottom