Teaching adults to ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FBOAB

As I've a little spare time on my hands at present:biggrin: I've decided to teach SWMBO to ride. She's at the heady age of 38 and hasn't been on a bike since about, ooh, 10. Any tips out there?

Maz

Guru
If she rode at 10, chances are she'll still remember how to do it. If not, I'd start by scooting along on a gentle downslope. No pedaling, just push-start with feet, free-wheeling until she gains confidence.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Seat low enough so that she can touch the ground with confidence. You can put it up later once she has built up her confidence. And somewhere quiet without the whole world watching and away from traffic.

OP
OP
F

FBOAB

Quick update. She's doing rather well in my opinion. Just did the Wombourne railway walk in one go (about 10 miles)! This is her fourth time on a bike in 28 years! And she said she couldn't do it....Get back on a bike anyway...
I did as you sugested Summerdays, and this seems to have helped. I think it's time to raise the seat bit by bit so she can be a little more comfortable.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
You may or may not want to tell her that you are raising the saddle height ... and only in little bits so that she feels comfortable with each move up (5 mm or less). But she sounds as if you are both doing well.

Did she enjoy it? and did she get a reward: cream tea or ice cream on the ride or at the end?:sad:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Also 10 miles might be quite a distance for a bottom that hasn't sat on a saddle for a while:ohmy::blush: - if she has any aches tell her that it is because she isn't used to cycling and that its normal the first couple of times. Though if it continued then it would be time to start the impossible hunt for a new saddle.

OP
OP
F

FBOAB

Thanks for the advice. Yes, she seems to enjoy it and feels quite elated by her latest triumph. I make sure to give her lots of encouragement too and employ the 'treat at the end' (sod it, who am I kidding? it's for me too!).
I'm finding it quite fulfilling teaching her to ride and watching her progress. It's because of this that my mind wandered towards cycling/teaching cycling for a career. Yes, I know there is a lot for me to learn too but I think it's worth it.

Arch

Married to Night Train
It's the best feeling, encouraging someone to enjoy something you enjoy. I taught a middle aged chap to ride once - from really not being able to, never had, to riding a nice upright Dutch bike, in less than an hour. And last week, I was manning a stand for a local re-cycling organisation when a gilr (late teens, early 20s?) came up and siad she was embarrassed that she'd never learnt to ride, and a friend had just given her a cast off bike and was it too late? We didn't have the resources to teach her there and then, but we told her to pop down to the unit sometime, and someone would help her. She went along that afternoon, and was riding along the riverside path within 30 minutes. I feel great about it, and it wasn't even me that actually taught her.

Maybe, though, the best thing is helping someone with a disability to enjoy being on a bike/trike/rickshaw/tandem - it can be such a breath of freedom. If you want to think about a change in career, and volunteering is a good way to start, maybe have a look round for any organisation local to you that does cycling for special needs.

Helping your missus might be a good way to get yourself into the teaching mindset too - she might be able to tell you what stuff seems intuitive and what doesn't - once you are a regular cyclist, it's easy to forget that it's not all obvious to a beginner...

Maz said:
If she rode at 10, chances are she'll still remember how to do it. If not, I'd start by scooting along on a gentle downslope. No pedaling, just push-start with feet, free-wheeling until she gains confidence.

If you remove the brake blocks it will encourage her to steer.

Top Bottom