Teenagers as passenger?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
Not quite sure where to put this, so I'll try here first and then maybe try elsewhere if no one replies!

Due to the complex business of being a working mum who mostly doesn't have a car, I often have to collect my son from places when I have my bike but he doesn't, which either means walking with the bike or me not using my bike (I often leave it locked up at work for example if I know I have to pick my son up from somewhere on the way home.)

I'm interested to know if there's a safe way to give him a "backie", so that I could give him a short lift home, as it would make life alot less complicated. I've seen footage of Dutch riders having backies, but appreciate the dutch bikes have panniers that are integral to the frame.

I haven't weighed son in a while, but he's a very lean 13 year old, mu guesstimate is about 40kg. My rack says max 25kg.

This would be for short hops only usually about 1 - 1.5 miles max. Is it possible to adapt my bike? Any ideas?

Jody

Stubborn git
I'm interested to know if there's a safe way to give him a "backie",

The good old days eh. I'd be tempted to say just give him a backie when needed. Not sure about the legalities of it as we didn't give a sh*t when younger, but knowing how lax the cops are in Chezzy I would just go for it.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I *think* there's something in the law about it being illegal unless the bike has been specially adapted to carry a passenger. Now I doubt many 13 year olds are going to sit in a trailer or in the front of one of those big dutch bikes that have like a bench at the front. Cheap tandem?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've seen loads having a backie, but I suspect if there was a policeman near by and he could be bothered he may have a word. You can get bikes which are designed to carry someone sitting on the back, but I assume you are looking for a way to do it on your existing bike.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
The good old days eh. I'd be tempted to say just give him a backie when needed. Not sure about the legalities of it as we didn't give a sh*t when younger, but knowing how lax the cops are in Chezzy I would just go for it.

I *think* there's something in the law about it being illegal unless the bike has been specially adapted to carry a passenger. Now I doubt many 13 year olds are going to sit in a trailer or in the front of one of those big dutch bikes that have like a bench at the front. Cheap tandem?

I've seen loads having a backie, but I suspect if there was a policeman near by and he could be bothered he may have a word. You can get bikes which are designed to carry someone sitting on the back, but I assume you are looking for a way to do it on your existing bike.

I know its illegal, but if its possible to do it safely I'm happy to break the law - If a rozzer wants to prosecute me he'll have to catch me first! I'm sure I could charm my way out of bother!

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
We tried him standing on the rack of the Brompton once as I've also seen on CycleChic, but it felt too wobbly.

If your bike can take them,
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSEg4xfHRhi2OIytMEkJgr8lGBriDbVCcyM367nyid6OZCyhpA.jpg
maybe a set of rear bmx stunt pegs so he can stand on them. If you have QR's aint going to work. See kids doing it around here.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
BMX with him on the stunt pegs :biggrin:?

Edit beaten to it by HarryTheDog

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
[QUOTE 4150408, member: 9609"]i would have thought the most dangerous aspect of giving someone a backie is the pillion passenger not having anywhere to put there feet, sort something out there and I would think would make it far less dangerous, but i would imagine it would still be very dangerous and illegal.

I always knew the word as "crogie" - has anyone else heard of that word or is it part of my strange gypsy dialect?[/QUOTE]

BMX with him on the stunt pegs :biggrin:?

Edit beaten to it by HarryTheDog
On a dutch internet shop that sold cushions for racks I saw that the sold footrests (looked like stunt pegs) that folded up when not in use.
http://en.hollandbikeshop.com/bicyc...-on-rear-fork-1110s-for-bicycle-childseat-13/
For the time it takes to ride a mile or so he can stick his legs out.

Its the actual rack I'm thinking about, whether its possible to get one that will safely take his weight.

Reactions: mjr

mustang1

Guru

Yes you are right.

Ps, pump the rear tire to the max.

Reactions: mjr

mustang1

Guru
If your bike can take them,
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSEg4xfHRhi2OIytMEkJgr8lGBriDbVCcyM367nyid6OZCyhpA.jpg
maybe a set of rear bmx stunt pegs so he can stand on them. If you have QR's aint going to work. See kids doing it around here.
I wonder if you can argue that you have specifically made the bike to carry passengers. I mean, you're not gonna do stunts on it, so I would call that "specifically tuned to carry people". :smile:

Top Bottom