Tektro Oryx brake pads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Does anybody know where to get replacement pads/blocks for the above brakes? I have tried all the usual online retailers but I can't see any at all. Many thanks for your help as I noticed that it will soon be time to replace the brake pads on my Dawes Horizion.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I've got some on my bike and they take normal V-brake pads.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
I just put Vs on mine too, never really thought about it. Now you mention it though that may be the reason why the quick release undoes itself when the pads get low.

Thanks McShroom I have looked at V brake pads but they are all either 70 or 72mm and the pads on the oryx are 60mm. Would adding an extra 10-12mm of pad do any damage to the brake arms?

I wouldn't have thought so; I used to shop around for the shorter pads used them on the front of my bike and the longer pads on the rear but I changed to the cartridge type pads and all holder I could find were longer and they don't seem to have done any harm to my bike (700mm wheels).

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Thanks McShroom I have looked at V brake pads but they are all either 70 or 72mm and the pads on the oryx are 60mm. Would adding an extra 10-12mm of pad do any damage to the brake arms?

I can't see it doing any damage. I replaced the horrible OEM pads my Vantage came with, with some cartridge v-brake pads just after I got the bike and haven't had any problems. I currently have some of these on the bike (although I got them when they were on offer at CRC)

yello

I use Koolstop v-brake pads too, from Wiggle. I used to use the Salmon ones but I can't seem to find them now, so have got the dual compounds instead but not as yet used them.

As for length; no idea, didn't even think to check. I don't recall there being a problem when I last fitted the salmons but maybe the dual compounds are different. I'll check later on today.

Davidc

Guru
I've got the same bike, and apart from those being the noisiest brakes I've ever met .....

The originals on the front lasted 1200 miles, very poor. I've put the Kool Stop salmon's on (now difficult to get for some reason, so the dual compound are probably your best substitute). Reduced squeal problems, work better, wearing less quickly, and although a bit longer than the OEM pads Kool Stop's web site says they're suitable for cantilever brakes.

I'm so dissatisfied with those brakes I'm probably going to get rid of the cantilever brakes at the front and put caliper ones on, and that's nothing to do with the pads.

niggle

I've got the same bike, and apart from those being the noisiest brakes I've ever met .....

The originals on the front lasted 1200 miles, very poor. I've put the Kool Stop salmon's on (now difficult to get for some reason, so the dual compound are probably your best substitute). Reduced squeal problems, work better, wearing less quickly, and although a bit longer than the OEM pads Kool Stop's web site says they're suitable for cantilever brakes.

I'm so dissatisfied with those brakes I'm probably going to get rid of the cantilever brakes at the front and put caliper ones on, and that's nothing to do with the pads.
Various different Koolstop salmons available from Dotbike: http://www.dotbike.c..._campaign%3dDAC

Top Bottom