Telegraph or Daily Mash?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Or can't face the stress of it.

Unfortunately the standard measure of wealth is salary, many years ago I realised it should be free cash...after taxes, mortgages, bills, dependants etc.

By this measure I know several people wealthier than me that earn a third.
Free cash... a decent measure of 'profitability' of a particular lifestyle and lifestyle choices. It has a worthwhile degree of utility.

Some folk seem to start out living beyond their means, and no matter how much their means increase over the years, they continue to live beyond them.

Thank God I got off that roller-coaster a number of years ago, though it took me probably 20 years to learn the lessons.

London's "bonus culture" doesn't help I guess, as we shall all see when "Capital" starts its run soon on the TV.

Last edited:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
That is a good basic rule in life, view double barrelled names with suspicion.
My parents inflicted a double-barrelled first name on me.

Went down really well on the council estate.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
My parents inflicted a double-barrelled first name on me.

Went down really well on the council estate.

was it you that inspired the Geldoffs to use Fifi-Trixibelle?

------------------------------------------------

People live to their means, these chumps are no different, they're just in a hell of a better position to pull their horns in than the rest of us if something went wrong. The *profit* they currently have in their second house is twice what my only house is worth. Different realities, I hope they're paying their fair whack of tax tho.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
If you take at face value what they are supposed to have said to the journalist, they earn huge sums of money, have a ridiculously large mortgage, and want to plan for the ruinously expensive path of private education. We don't seem to have much in common at all. It's their choice though.

Sorry, I just don't seem to be able to muster up a seething sense of outrage about them.

RichardB

Slightly retro
I think it's a case of the more you have, the more you want, and the more you think you need. . I was invalided out of my chosen career in my 40s and have had to accept a much lower rate of pay ever since. I am earning about 2/3 of what I did in 1995, and probably 1/3 of what I would have been earning had I stayed and progressed. But the funny thing is, I feel better off now than I ever did then. The secret of being wealthy is not earning more; it's being satisfied with less. Enjoying what you have, not hankering after what you might have.

When I was looking into retraining, a careers advisor asked me how much I wanted to earn. I said I had no real idea. She suggested "enough for all the things you need, and a few of the things you want". She was bang on there. Wise words.

Top Bottom