Test your GCSE knowledge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alicat

Legendary Member
6 - always been in two minds about binary numbers.

The rest were so easy - we aren't stretching our 16 year olds enough.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
3/7 still thick as shoot 20 years after leaving school :whistle:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
6 - always been in two minds about binary numbers.

The rest were so easy - we aren't stretching our 16 year olds enough.

Have to disagree. 16 yr old just completed his GCSEs. He would ask me for help on the trickier GCSE Maths which I did to A level. Some questions were too hard for me. I hate to think what Further Maths GCSE is like. The level of sophistication of analysis of, for example, 20th century history was surprising too.

I got 7/7...but the Greek Mythology was a total guess. I didn't go to the type of school that did Classics

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
7/7
7. The binary one could only be an even number, as there's a 0 as the last digit, so no need to calculate the rest of it.
I was just about to add 128 to something else in my head to get the answer when I spotted that obvious giveaway.

How did people know the classics one? Is it common knowledge? I got that and the ICT ones wrong.

It's not a classics question, although I did read Aeneid book 4 for A level. It might be a music question - I'm sure I studied the Purcell opera at some stage for O-level; Dido's lament "when I am laid" is a canonical example of a ground bass, as well as being a smutty joke.

(No prizes for guessing what teenagers turn "Dido and Aeneas" into...)

6 my greek mythology is rubbish

Same.

I used to get to sleep by counting binary, but I too used the last zero to guess the answer. In an actual exam, I would work out the entire number to be sure.

When I used to do multiple choice exams, I used to always work out the answer first, before looking at the options. And then if I had time, I would work out what errors each other answer was trying to catch. In physics, at least, the wrong answers were not random, but were the answer you would get if made predictable mistake (ie used the wrong formula, or forgot to convert km to metres). This approach didn't help me with the mythology one, and "Hecuba, I've heard of her. Hamlet talks about her" didn't help me :smile:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
7/7

I was just about to add 128 to something else in my head to get the answer when I spotted that obvious giveaway.

It's not a classics question, although I did read Aeneid book 4 for A level. It might be a music question - I'm sure I studied the Purcell opera at some stage for O-level; Dido's lament "when I am laid" is a canonical example of a ground bass, as well as being a smutty joke.

(No prizes for guessing what teenagers turn "Dido and Aeneas" into...)

OT now, but there was a hoo-ha about the core "classical" music syllabus having a start date after the true greats of earlyish British music - so no Purcell, Tallis, Byrd, then a modern cut-off to miss out Vaughan-Williams, Britten etc leaving essentially no top name British composers eligible for study. Ironically this was the same lot with their "traditional" approach that was pushing "britishness" (really Englishness) as central to any study of histtory.

Reactions: srw
pah! UK exams are easy. In Australia you have to describe the role that BattleTech Marauder robots had on the storming of the Winter Palace.

1360630352830.jpg

Top Bottom