Thank goodness I wore...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mortiroloboy

A helmet, I know it's a lifestyle choice and all that, and I ride with plenty of guys who choose not to wear a lid, but I'm certainly glad that I do.

Cycling down to the New Forest on Saturday, a couple of miles from the YHA hostel in Burley, my cycling companion had a mechanical with his R/D, I was in his wheel, we both had panniers on, which added a bit more weight at the back end, he slowed momentarily, I braked, but due to the extra weight it wasn't sufficient, I clipped his back wheel, the panniers spun me around, as the front was light, I ended up on the deck, nasty gravel rash on left elbow, hip and knee, as shoulder went into the tarmac, head whiplashed onto the road, cracked my helmet, pretty dazed and shaken up, but got to my feet, cleaned the wounds and carried on to the hostel.

I don't even want to think what would have happened had I not been wearing a lid, but I don't think I'd have been sleeping in the hostel Saturday night, I'd probably have been sleeping in Bournemouth General.

Just ordered a replacement Catlike Kompact Pro, like the one I was wearing, from Prendas Ciclisimo, who gave me £20 off as a crash replacement, which they offer to exisiting customers. Catlike don't actually offer a crash replacement scheme like Bell, Giro and Specialized do.

Scuffed my pedal and shoe, banged my ergo's and tore my 'bar tape. Bugger.

Oh yeah, and to add insult to injury I rolled in a pile of Pony poo, which doesn't smell very nice BTW!

Globalti

Legendary Member
My lad aged 9 tried to jump his Islabike over a BMX ramp yesterday afternoon. When Mrs RR and I arrived he was biting back the tears and clutching two very sore elbows, with some other parents taking care of him. He reckons he clouted his head on the ground too, so I was glad I had adjusted his helmet straps only an hour before.

Keith Oates

Janner
Glad your injuries are not too bad Mortiroloboy, there is no doubt that there are times when a helmet can prevent further or more severe injuries. Having the experience you've just had will convince you not to go without wearing one so stick with that and you won't regret the choice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
M

Mortiroloboy

Thank you, yes just a bit stiff today, but I'll mend, annoyed about damage to bike though! I never go out without a lid, I recently purchased to replacement helmets for my daughters, as they didn't like the design /pattern on their existing Lidl helmets ( which were incidentally excellent VFM) Anyhow the new Argos Raleigh helmets are apparently "un-cool", "none of our friends wear one, so why should we look like dumbo's?".

I have romanced my little incident for their benefit, and told them they might not think they look cool wearing a helmet, but it's not very cool sucking your roast dinner through a straw.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I know the debate goes on (even inside my head!) but if you could choose to have a helmet on or not, in the nano seconds after a prang and before you hit the deck, I'm sure most would choose to have one on.

snorri

Legendary Member
User259iroloboy said:
I have romanced my little incident for their benefit,
You told them to always leave sufficient space between themselves and the guy in front in order to avoid the need for helmet replacement and incidental damage?

OP
OP
M

Mortiroloboy

Yes, It was my fault,:smile: I was in his wheel, but when you're cycling 65 miles and want to arrive before you need lights, you have to ride bit and bit, and to get any benefit from that you need to stay close to the wheel in front of you.

Not helped by the extra weight/instability of panniers.

I hurt.:smile:

What are you? A muppet, that's what. And do you know why I can say that with confidence? Because I've done it too :smile: Straight into the back of Mrs.Crackles wheel and wump into the ditch with the contents of my handlebar bag tipped all over me :smile: Luckily I didn't hit my head and landed in a soft ditch but it's easy done.

yenrod

>I don't even want to think what would have happened had I not been wearing a lid, but I don't think I'd have been sleeping in the hostel Saturday night, I'd probably have been sleeping in Bournemouth General.

Thats it - all it takes is one second, if that.

It took me about a sec. to look away - when on a wheel then.....

Not that I enjoy (crashing) but it certainly makes sense for all the time that 'you' DO wear a helmet. :smile:

And if anyone doesnt - DO !!!!!!!!!!!

buggi

Bird Saviour
i was wearing one when i came off and broke my collar bone. i banged my head real bad, didn't come round for 1/2 hour and was apparently talking shite while knocked out, which is actually a much worse sign than not talking at all :sad:

i still can't remember anything about my accident or even the two or 3 miles before it. i only remember waking up and thinking "blue sky???" :wacko: looking at this guy's face and then thinking "Shite, i'm supposed to be on my bike" and then he said "are you with us love? we're just gonna check your neck and board you". :eek:

i'm glad i can't remember anything but i'm also really glad i was wearing a helmet as i'm sure i would have been much worse off.

OP
OP
M

Mortiroloboy

Crackle said:
What are you? A muppet, that's what. And do you know why I can say that with confidence? Because I've done it too ;) Straight into the back of Mrs.Crackles wheel and wump into the ditch with the contents of my handlebar bag tipped all over me :becool: Luckily I didn't hit my head and landed in a soft ditch but it's easy done.

Probably...Waldorf or Statler, either one really!

OP
OP
M

Mortiroloboy

Oooh, my new lid arrived today silver/ white/carbon effect, nice, and those lovely Prendas people (Andy) sent it in a helmet pod as a freebie, I'm sooo chuffed, I have purchased stuff in the past from PC and I'll definitely be back again when I need stuff...Hmm Christmas is on the horizon...

Top Bottom