That worthless and dangerous cycling infrastructure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
T

Tommi

Mad@urage said:
At the price of giving way to motor vehicles at every junction? No we are not. Cycling is in any case a safe activity compared to other everyday activities such as walking, so why on earth should we be?
Keep in mind the original topic was to counter the tiresome "cycle lanes/tracks do not increase cycling and/or safety" argument. World wide research supports they do.

Cycling may be safe but it is perceived not to be. If infrastructure makes people feel safer and start cycling (again, supported by research) why on earth would you be against it? Compulsory use of cycle lanes/tracks is a separate discussion. Until it becomes relevant you should feel free to ride like a car.

Richard Mann said:
Delft already had a cycle network, just not a very good one. Improving it didn't make much of a difference.
Evaluation of the Delft project plan I included in OP came to conclusion it did make a significant difference.

OP
OP
T

Tommi

1508179 said:
It would be a shame if we were ever to loose sight of this part of your thinking about anyone who doesn't agree with you.
Sorry, but I can't help but feel "tiresome" when all the supposedly supporting evidence how cycle lanes/tracks never increase cycling or safety turn out to be false. Also, I would very much like to see someone explain why the rest of the world is wrong.

As Easy As Riding A Bike

1508179 said:
It would be a shame if we were ever to lose sight of this part of your thinking about anyone who doesn't agree with you.

Ah yes, Tommi finds anyone who doesn't agree with him "tiresome".

But before you make that entry in your log book of "Naughty Tommi's Bad Thoughts", perhaps you should refer back to what he wrote, where you will notice that he was in fact referring to one particular argument - and not to "anyone" who disagreed with him - as tiresome.

This would, of course, have been apparent if you had quoted his entire sentence, rather than selectively taking one word from it.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
the 'rest of the world' is neither wrong nor right. Cycle 'facilities' exist in some cities and not in others. They may or may not make a difference (my suspicion is that sometimes they do and sometimes they don't, and my direct experience in Milton Keynes suggests that they don't more often than they do). The problem, dear Tommi, is

- it's not going to happen in the UK because nobody wants them
- it's not going to happen in the UK because nobody wants to pay for them

which is a good thing, because the slicing up of public space is an abomination, as any number of handy illustrations from ghastly places like Groningen testify. To be absolutely clear - I don't want them at any price, ever, anywhere near me, and I would fall down on Lambeth Council like a tonne of bricks if they ever suggested putting this crap in.

Next!

U

User169

Evaluation of the Delft project plan I included in OP came to conclusion it did make a significant difference.

40 to 43 percent growth in modal-share in the test area against 38 to 39 percent growth in the control area. Is that really "significant", given the monumental costs?

As Easy As Riding A Bike

The problem, dear Tommi, is

which is a good thing, because the slicing up of public space is an abomination, as any number of handy illustrations from ghastly places like Groningen testify. To be absolutely clear - I don't want them at any price, ever, anywhere near me, and I would fall down on Lambeth Council like a tonne of bricks if they ever suggested putting this crap in.

How does your antipathy to the "slicing up of public space" translate when we address busy roads like, for instance, Euston Road?

Would you propose removing the pavements along here? Would you suggest that all transport mode users mingle on it?

Excuse me? The world wide status quo is that cycle lanes/tracks improve cycling rates and/or safety - see the supporting research.

If you mean "UK style cycle lanes/tracks" or "UK style cycle lanes/track ignoring proper designs" please do say so.

The research I originally posted supports b) and c) and contradicts your second item - enough to have world wide support. What do you know the rest of the world doesn't? Care to share the research? Would you also mind explaining why the rest of the world is wrong?

I don't have the time or energy to go through your "research" pointing out why each paper is not what you think it is or is just a statement of opinion. I did the first two or three just to demonstrate the point but the majority of the rest are not what you are claiming them to be.

(You said elsewhere building the cycle network caused "drop in cycling of 15% in commuters and 40% in school students" but "Dublin Canal Cordon Counts" does not support that claim. For one it does not distinguish between commuters and school students. So let me ask again, source?)

Funny place that Dublin.

Before they started building the cycle network cycling count was already declining. Oddly, after they started building it in 1997 the decline slowed down noticeably (source: 1988-2003 1997-2010 (pdf)):

Good link that first one. Here are a couple of extracts:

01/03/04 Cyclists reject Department of Transport's claims
The Galway Cycle Campaign has a issued a 12 page letter of rebuttal to the Minister of Transport in the latest instalment in a six year old row over Government policy. The latest exchange was sparked by last year's vote to reject the use of roadside cycle-tracks by the Galway City Community Forum, which represents 90 community and voluntary organisations. It was the serious safety problems associated with cycle tracks that prompted their rejection by the Forum. In reply, the Minister's office has made various claims: Including claims regarding the intent of the government's much criticised "cycle facilities design guidelines" and also a claim that segregated cycle tracks are the most effective means to encourage more cycling. In response, the Galway Cycling Campaign have highlighted the ongoing failure of the minister's office to acknowledge or address the appalling safety record of roadside cycle tracks. The GCC have pointed out to the minister that Irish cyclists are having their lives and property endangered by cycle track/cycle lanes that demonstrably flout basic safety principles. The view is put that the activities of the officials who created this situation are a national disgrace and constitute a national scandal.

17/02/04 Cycle Campaigners renew call for "cycle track network" plans to be scrapped as Dublin figures show 16% drop in cyclists.

The Galway Cycle Campaign have renewed their call for the scrapping of plans for "cycle track networks" in Irish towns. The call comes in the wake of the revelation of a 16% drop in the number cyclists crossing the "Dublin Inner Canal Cordon" since 1997. This decline coincided with the construction of 320km of "Strategic Cycle Network" in Dublin. It had been claimed this would "double" cycle use over a five-year period. The apparent failure of the Dublin Strategic Cycle network mimics the failure of similar efforts elsewhere. From the mid-1980's the Netherlands spent the equivalent of IRP 600 million (EU 760 million) on extending their cycle path network. In 1995, it was found that these works had not resulted in any significant increase in cycling levels.

According to Wikipedia DublinBikes started in 13 September 2009 and yet the Cordon Counts show increase in cycling already from 2004 onwards, year after the cycle network (as originally laid out I presume) completed. Strangely enough the first drop in counts since then was between 2009-10 right after DublinBikes started which directly contradicts your claim. Did you mean to provide some other source? Since the counts are made in November it's unlikely DublinBikes related construction work can be blamed either.

2004 on corresponded to the Irish Tiger Economy 2 which came to a halt in 2008 and started to collapse in 2009. The boom was associated with a population and traffic growth in Dublin and infamous traffic gridlock. Which is why cycle, pedestrian, motor traffic and particularly bike, bus and taxi traffic increased over that exact same period. I doubt you would claim the similar increases in bus and taxi traffic starting at exactly the same time were down to the completion of the cycle network. In any case half the network had been completed by the end of 2000 so why did the effect you are claiming not start until 2 years after it was finished?

DublinBikes has had 2.2 million journeys since it was started with over 6,000 journeys a day on 550 bikes last month.

Couldn't find the "Dublin Transport Initiative 1995" document since all I get is the one for 2011-17 which shows continued development of the strategic cycle network. Strange that. You really should tell them how they'd get much more people cycling safely if they just stopped building all those cycle lanes and tracks.

Its not my job to tell the Irish what to do and there is no need because the Irish are telling their government that anyway (see the two above quotes on safety and success above and the infrastructure policy of the Dublin Cycling Campaign).

OP
OP
T

Tommi

I don't have the time or energy to go through your "research" pointing out why each paper is not what you think it is or is just a statement of opinion.
Ah, ok. In that case everyone can skip reading any "research" you pick because it'll obviously not be what you think it is or is just a statement of opinion. Very nice of you to admit you have no evidence to support your claims.

2004 on corresponded to the Irish Tiger Economy 2 which came to a halt in 2008 and started to collapse in 2009. The boom was associated with a population and traffic growth in Dublin and infamous traffic gridlock. Which is why cycle, pedestrian, motor traffic and particularly bike, bus and taxi traffic increased over that exact same period.
Source? Evidence for causality?

In any case half the network had been completed by the end of 2000 so why did the effect you are claiming not start until 2 years after it was finished?
Are you intentionally ignoring the part showing the commencement of the cycle network in 1997 is followed by significant positive impact on cycling counts trend, or did you have problems viewing the image?

DublinBikes has had 2.2 million journeys since it was started with over 6,000 journeys a day on 550 bikes last month.
That's all very interesting and yet the Cordon Counts you brought up as source show significant drop. Where's the evidence DublinBikes caused any increase in cycling at all, rather than getting people already cycling switch their bikes to DublinBikes? Where's the evidence the now completed cycle network plays no role in any of this?

Its not my job to tell the Irish what to do and there is no need because the Irish are telling their government that anyway (see the two above quotes on safety and success above and the infrastructure policy of the Dublin Cycling Campaign).
[..]
01/03/04 Cyclists reject Department of Transport's claims

17/02/04 Cycle Campaigners renew call for "cycle track network" plans to be scrapped as Dublin figures show 16% drop in cyclists.
Ah, another opinion. Or did you mean to link to some evidence proving causality? Greater Dublin Area Draft Transport Strategy 2011-2030 (do note the years) has another opinion and that is to continue to develop the cycle lanes and tracks and the network. Just like the one for 2003-2010 or so when cycling counts were increasing (you did have evidence to prove the cycle network had nothing to do with it?) And just like in the rest of the world also seeing increase in cycling, how weird. Oh, and according to Dublin Cycling Campaign Infrastructure position document they're also supporting cycle lanes and the cycle network:

Dublin Cycling Campaign Infrastructure position document said:
  • Cycle lanes (on-street) are a useful measure provided that they improve safety, priority, directness or comfort for cyclists without compromising any of these. Cycle lanes must be constructed to international best practice. DCC calls for an end to the construction of any more substandard cycle lanes
[..]
  • Routes must be assessed as whole routes, not as bits. A short stretch of cycle lane is, as a rule, useless. We To be safe, cyclists need a coherent design applied to such facilities.
So far I have not yet seen any evidence to support the claim not having cycle lanes or tracks causes bigger increase in cycling and safety than having them. Admittedly it's been a long thread so I may have missed some references, but given how you make it sound obvious there should be abundant research to support your claims. Am I right? Given the details you keep mentioning you've clearly researched all about it so you should have little trouble presenting your findings with supporting research.

OP
OP
T

Tommi

The problem, dear Tommi, is

LCC wants them. Please educate me, has LCC always been "nobody" or is that recent development?

Given the option I'd be thrilled have my taxes spent on cycling infrastructure rather than motor traffic, so "nobody" is patently false. And I'd hazard a guess people from CEoGB would agree. Care to rephrase?

which is a good thing, because the slicing up of public space is an abomination, as any number of handy illustrations from ghastly places like Groningen testify.
I recall elsewhere you called separated cycling infrastructure "barbaric". Would you happen to have any research or polls or anything to show people really do find separated cycling infrastructure as barbaric and that it's not only your opinion?

Anyway, as you said "sometimes they [cycle lanes/tracks] do [make a [positive] difference] and sometimes they don't" (please excuse my quotation) it seems we agree the argument "there is no evidence cycle lanes/tracks increase cycling and/or safety" I started this thread for is false, and the arguments you have are for separate discussion.

OP
OP
T

Tommi

1508191 said:
Tommi you have missed this question. Do we have the space in our country to build an entire separate network?
I saw that, but as I started the thread to address the tiresome "there is no evidence cycle lanes/tracks increase cycling and/or safety" argument that's not exactly on topic.

IIRC A view from the cycle path has several posts about your question. If you want to discuss them I'd appreciate doing it in different thread. (I've grown rather effective in mentally separating off-topic posts so I have this (false?) impression this one is still on topic...)

To stay within the quote block limits I have had to group your points. Can you please step away from the tsunami response mode in future and try and limit yourself to the most pertinent points?

1. Ah, ok. In that case everyone can skip reading any "research" you pick because it'll obviously not be what you think it is or is just a statement of opinion. Very nice of you to admit you have no evidence to support your claims.

2. Source? Evidence for causality?

3. Are you intentionally ignoring the part showing the commencement of the cycle network in 1997 is followed by significant positive impact on cycling counts trend, or did you have problems viewing the image?

1. Please stop selective quoting to twist what I say into something you can rubbish. I said I don't have time to go through all of them but picked the first two and a third as examples they were not what you claimed them to be. Perhaps you could come back on those ones specifically rather than distorting what I said. Or pick out your three best shots from the "research" you presented rather than trying to hid all the shortcomings in a tidal wave of information.

2. The source is the pdf you linked to showing identical upward trends in all modes of transport - cycling, walking, bus, taxi, motorbike, motor car - except HGVs which were banned from Dublin's centre from the beginning of 2007. Are you claiming that was coincidence or were they all caused by the completion of the cycle network two years earlier?

3. Ah the politicians ploy. When things are going south claim there was a decrease in the rate of decline and herald it as a victory. Is that what you are claiming, that building 320km of cycle tracks will slow the rate of decline of cycling by a percentage point or two. What happened to all those would be cyclists who are going to cycle if only they had a safe place to cycle away from the traffic?

4. That's all very interesting and yet the Cordon Counts you brought up as source show significant drop. Where's the evidence DublinBikes caused any increase in cycling at all, rather than getting people already cycling switch their bikes to DublinBikes? Where's the evidence the now completed cycle network plays no role in any of this?

5. Ah, another opinion. Or did you mean to link to some evidence proving causality?

6. Greater Dublin Area Draft Transport Strategy 2011-2030 (do note the years) has another opinion and that is to continue to develop the cycle lanes and tracks and the network.

4. In a user survey 56% had switched from other transport modes for a journey while 7% had switched from using their own bikes. The balance were making new or different journeys. So well over half the journeys were new cyclist journeys. How do I know the cycle network played no role? Well it was there before and after yet none of those people that started cycling because of the Dublinbikes had bothered to cycle on their own bikes previously.

5. No, they were extracts from the link you provided. Not sure what you were providing the link for but that's what it said.

6. Yes, the politicians who thought it was a good idea in the first place are not deterred by the evidence that it wasn't and press on regardless. Now why am I not surprised?

7. Oh, and according to Dublin Cycling Campaign Infrastructure position document they're also supporting cycle lanes and the cycle network:

8. So far I have not yet seen any evidence to support the claim not having cycle lanes or tracks causes bigger increase in cycling and safety than having them. Admittedly it's been a long thread so I may have missed some references, but given how you make it sound obvious there should be abundant research to support your claims. Am I right? Given the details you keep mentioning you've clearly researched all about it so you should have little trouble presenting your findings with supporting research.

7. You missed the bit ". DCC calls for an end to the construction of any more substandard cycle lanes: All substandard cycle lanes should be removed: such "facilities" are worse than nothing, and often put cyclists at increased risk of collision with a vehicle due to inadequate safe separation distances. Worse still none of these substandard facilities are 'flagged' by their designers as being unsafe so most cyclists are totally unaware of the risk of collision and injury and death in using them. Riders are lulled into a false sense of security. DCC calls on the DTO and local authorities to dismantle all existing unsafe and substandard cycle lanes."

8. Ah back to another trick of shifting the burden of proof. We are not talking about other measures, we are talking about your proposed methods. You are proposing we spend £1m/mile on cycle tracks of a quality that has not been so far achieved in practice anywhere in the UK and Ireland over some 70 years. It is up to you to demonstrate that it will lead to significant increases in cycling, not some minor slow down in the rate of fall, if such large sums of money are to be spent.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
LCC wants them. Please educate me, has LCC always been "nobody" or is that recent development?
wrong - setting aside their current spasm on Blackfirars Bridge they've moved on (except for the Camden lot, who are fruitcakes)

Anyway, as you said "sometimes they [cycle lanes/tracks] do [make a [positive] difference] and sometimes they don't" (please excuse my quotation) it seems we agree the argument "there is no evidence cycle lanes/tracks increase cycling and/or safety" I started this thread for is false, and the arguments you have are for separate discussion.
I'm not going to excuse your selective quotation. And I simply don't believe that separate lanes increase safety. And further I don't care. I just don't want them. And I'm happy to say we won't be getting them. So all is well.

And...........barbaric. Yes. I'll stick with that. Barbarism of a particularly delicate and suburban kind, but, nonetheless.......count the barriers between the front door on the left of the picture and the front door on the right of the picture. Are these people neighbours? Or are they simply receptacles in to which transport consultants pour their wisdom?

03-nl.jpg

Top Bottom