The 15 most influential people in British road cycling today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Rubbish list, they missed out Matt, the mechanic at my LBS.

S-Express

Some bizarre choices there. Certainly wouldn't put Isla in there (no offence to her), certainly wouldn't put Sadiq in there either, unless the list only applied to London. Putting Davina in there is just absolutely hilarious. I can only assume that they were on a deadline and couldn't think of anyone else.

I'd add Ian Drake to the list.

S-Express

[QUOTE 4517424, member: 45"]she kick-started the evolution to decent children's bikes.[/QUOTE]

Indeed she may have done, but I'm not seeing the influence she has on road cycling today.

S-Express

[QUOTE 4517478, member: 45"]As well as kick-starting the evolution to decent kids bikes she's provided with her range a process towards drop-barred bikes. Where her range ends.[/QUOTE]

She's done that as well. I'm still not seeing her influence on road cycling today though.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
She's done that as well. I'm still not seeing her influence on road cycling today though.
I think you're being myopic. Mr P has clearly outlined her influence.

Unless you think that "road cycling" means racing?

S-Express

I think you're being myopic. Mr P has clearly outlined her influence.

Unless you think that "road cycling" means racing?

'Mr P' has outlined her historical achievements - not her continuing influence. Isla has achieved much, but I personally don't believe she has much influence on road cycling today, which is the criteria for the list.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Surprised to see that there isn't a place for Councilors Keith Wakefield and Richard Lewis, the men who are bringing us the Leeds - Bradford Cycle Super Highway.
Maybe next year, assuming it's finished by then?

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
One of the interesting things about British cycling politics is how invisible its leading advocates are to most cyclists. There are undoubtedly people doing great work - some of whom are no doubt on this forum - and yet their efforts are eclipsed in the minds even of ordinary cyclists by celebrities and racers. Now I'm not saying that those people don't deserve some credit, but Britain really doesn't have any genuinely high profile activist champions of road cycling, despite having increasingly large number of cyclists. (Having Sadiq Khan on this list is just lazy. There hasn't been anything like enough time to assess his influence on cycling).

Last edited:
U

User482

[QUOTE 4517478, member: 45"]As well as kick-starting the evolution to decent kids bikes she's provided with her range a process towards drop-barred bikes. Where her range ends, leading young people to road bikes rather than just MTBs. And I have a strong suspicion that this has brought more young people into road cycling.[/QUOTE]
Young people use her bikes to cycle on the road: her influence seems undeniable to me.

Top Bottom