The 2015 Half Century (50 KM or 50 Mile) A Month Challenge - Chatzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Just posted Junes ride:smile: I update my first post in the thread each time, so unless you go back to post #2 you miss mine...

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Anyone note posted Mays ride yet . Calling @howdenbiker and @Spinney . Looks like we are thinning out I make it 10 of us with all 5 months done and dusted .Well done everyone keep going this month is halfway.
I did one in May (38 miles, so a metric half) but I've not updated this thread yet! Will get round to it, honest!

edit - May's ride now posted. Hoping to get more than one point in June, must get off my a*** and out on the bike more! Especially as we seem to be having summer down here, unlike what I hear from friends in the north of England and Scotland!

Last edited:
Good look with the rides
Cheers. Velothon won't be too bad hopefully. The other one will be a bit more challenging, 2 hours on the bike and four hours off non-stop for however long it takes. The four hours off may also be filled by driving duties and the like.

Katherine

Guru
First ride of the month and also for about two and a half weeks due to recovering from tennis elbow. I was determined to try for my metric century in case it made it worse again and I don't get another chance. So, very happy with 32 miles in the sunshine, although it took nearly 4 hours including stops for photos, drinks and stretches.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have been doing longer rides now that we are in the summer and I forgot about this challenge! I would not have wanted to reclassify one of my longer rides as a multiple of 50 km, but fortunately a group of pals rang me yesterday and said that they would like me to show them round the area. The ride ended up being 58.5 km, so I am still in!

As usual on my rides, we did lots of climbs, and of course that means that we also do a lot of descents. We stopped on the moor halfway down the Cragg Vale descent to eat some snacks because one of our number was getting a bit light-headed from lack of energy. We were standing around chatting, when suddenly behind us there was a deafening BANG!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Part of the bead of my friend Carrie's front tyre had slipped out of the rim and allowed the tube to come out and explode! Here's a picture of it draped across my handlebars. You should be able to see that there is a split in it about 3 inches long ...

Exploded inner tube.jpg

If that had happened on the descent then it could have had horrendous consequences! :ohmy:

There were various opinions as to the cause. This is mine ...

Carrie's tyres were pretty soft the last time we rode together and I mentioned to her then that she needed to pump them up. I squeezed the tyres before we set off yesterday and noticed that they were now pumped up really hard. She is only a tiny woman so she does not really need quite that much pressure to avoid pinch punctures and get a low rolling resistance, but it is her bike so I did not say anything.

The temperature was pretty high which would increase the pressure in the tyres.

The tyres were a loose fit in the rims. I was able to pull the tyre bead back into the rim with one hand!

So my theory is that the problem was caused by an excessive initial tyre pressure which was increased by direct sunlight beating down on the tyre while we were standing about, coupled with a loose tyre fit, and possibly with the tube being accidentally pinched under the tyre bead when the tyres were put on a couple of months ago?

Anyway - a great ride and my pal escaped with only a dead inner tube and ringing ears!

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
July 50 miler done (see my ride today) got it nice and early due to holiday in two weeks and a busy weekend coming up . Didn't want @cosmicbike to get this months in first like last month so beat you to it :tongue:
Cheeky beggar:smile:
Not sure if I'll get one in this month, currently laid up with the rhabdomyolysis starting again:sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom