The 2015 Night Ride thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The huge number of words there, some of them quite long, and some which may be of the weasel variety are basically the reason why I'd be reticent about volunteering to organise anything.
I will have a bash at reading it tho.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Dare I mention the dread word insurance here? Could people be putting themselves at big risk organising such things without ride organisers insurance? Would the same rules requring all participants to have 3rd party insurance apply (and be policed?).

I might consider re-doing my Coventry ride that I ran this year as a night ride, but it's a long way (95+ miles) and there are various other "but"s that I won't go into right now (insurance being one of them).
Olaf's ride to Brighton was a Fridays ride. The Fridays policy costs £75 a year, and that covers the organiser. I'll renew it as usual next year.

If people want to run Fridays rides then.......
we have to publish a schedule. That's the CTC's requirement. There must be no more than 5 non-members.

My baseline(s) for Fridays rides are
- The route has been recce'd and risk assessed. There's a list of participants. The participants all have 3rd party insurance, have given their mobile numbers and have all confirmed that they have read and understood 'the basics'. They must all join The Fridays. A TEC team with a chef d'affaires is in place, who should be able to get in touch with the person on the front. The Wayfinders know what they're doing. There's a safety talk that includes the usual stuff and specific risks are explained. The halfway stop has toilets. The ride leader knows the way and can make decisions about the route on the move.

The other stuff is more about reputation.

Last edited:

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
would it help if I updated 'so you want to run a night ride'?

definitely!

I suggest we also should think about some way of pooling the data. I collected CTC numbers and all the other stuff from members before the Brighton ride, but I does not really make sense if everyone organising a ride has to reinvent the wheel with regard to this.

OP
OP
srw

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
definitely!

I suggest we also should think about some way of pooling the data. I collected CTC numbers and all the other stuff from members before the Brighton ride, but I does not really make sense if everyone organising a ride has to reinvent the wheel with regard to this.
Up to a point, Lord Copper.

As soon as you start collecting data you're knocking on the door of data protection laws. As an organiser, I'd want everyone individually to send me their mobile numbers and CTC numbers (and, probably, ICE phone numbers) so that I knew I had them. On the other hand, I'd also like access to a pool of email addresses of people who might be interested in having advertising emals thrown at them.

Agent Hilda

The Babe
Can I just say on an absolutely personal note that it is going to be SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO great next year. We are going to have japes and a half! I done them already.

And possibly we might very well tag along on the odd ride organised by someone else without a care in the world! Not A Care! Whoooooooooop!

Plus anyone want my medium/large jerseys I got French ones and everything - let the old man know

Agent H

Xxxxx

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Can I just say on an absolutely personal note that it is going to be SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO great next year. We are going to have japes and a half! I done them already.

And possibly we might very well tag along on the odd ride organised by someone else without a care in the world! Not A Care! Whoooooooooop!

Plus anyone want my medium/large jerseys I got French ones and everything - let the old man know

Agent H

Xxxxx

Bloody hope so...

Up to a point, Lord Copper.

As soon as you start collecting data you're knocking on the door of data protection laws. As an organiser, I'd want everyone individually to send me their mobile numbers and CTC numbers (and, probably, ICE phone numbers) so that I knew I had them. On the other hand, I'd also like access to a pool of email addresses of people who might be interested in having advertising emals thrown at them.

There are exemptions for common interest clubs & societies, so the quick answer is that it's not an issue as you or I or anyone else don't have to register as a data user.

Top Bottom