The 2015 Night Ride thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

I’ve finally read that link. It has destroyed by dreams of a firearms and bouncy castle themed night ride.

As I read it, provided that:
  • There exists a CTC Member Group
  • The organiser is an Officer of that Member Group
  • The organiser has a list of all participants, incl their CTC numbers (plus has done other diligent stuff in line with CTC guidelines, eg no more than 5 non-members).
Then the organiser is covered, and the 3rd point provides assurance that all parties have 3rd party insurance. (Although without verifying each individual number there’s a risk that there may be lapsed members and other non-members in amongst the participants).

I think the key question is: Are these proposed rides to be done under the imprimatur of the Fridays, using the existing club structures established by DZ?

If so things should slot in OK. The appropriate structures should already exist and steps can be taken to appoint the organiser as an officer, with the additional wrinkle of the need to publish a schedule in advance. I think that was the case with the recent Brighton ride.

But if they are to be done "in the style of" the Fridays/FNRttC, but using different/new organisational structures, then one or more new Member Groups would be required to be established, and officers appointed, in order to ensure organiser’s liability cover.

On a less boring note, if anyone is stepping up to the task of organising a York/Hull/Other E Yorkshire ride, for next year then I’m happy to do some recce riding, or other practical helping, as I visit there quite frequently. Laziness, lack of commitment, living at the other end of the country and fear of all the bureaucratic stuff above preclude me from volunteering to organise it myself.

AKA Bob

Riding a folding bike far too much of the time...
I’ve finally read that link. It has destroyed by dreams of a firearms and bouncy castle themed night ride.

As I read it, provided that:
  • There exists a CTC Member Group
  • The organiser is an Officer of that Member Group
  • The organiser has a list of all participants, incl their CTC numbers (plus has done other diligent stuff in line with CTC guidelines, eg no more than 5 non-members).
Then the organiser is covered, and the 3rd point provides assurance that all parties have 3rd party insurance. (Although without verifying each individual number there’s a risk that there may be lapsed members and other non-members in amongst the participants).

I think the key question is: Are these proposed rides to be done under the imprimatur of the Fridays, using the existing club structures established by DZ?

If so things should slot in OK. The appropriate structures should already exist and steps can be taken to appoint the organiser as an officer, with the additional wrinkle of the need to publish a schedule in advance. I think that was the case with the recent Brighton ride.

But if they are to be done "in the style of" the Fridays/FNRttC, but using different/new organisational structures, then one or more new Member Groups would be required to be established, and officers appointed, in order to ensure organiser’s liability cover.

On a less boring note, if anyone is stepping up to the task of organising a York/Hull/Other E Yorkshire ride, for next year then I’m happy to do some recce riding, or other practical helping, as I visit there quite frequently. Laziness, lack of commitment, living at the other end of the country and fear of all the bureaucratic stuff above preclude me from volunteering to organise it myself.

When I have lead rides for my local CTC group I haven't ever held an official office of the group however just conferred authority given to leaders of authorised and published local CTC Rides.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
When I have lead rides for my local CTC group I haven't ever held an official office of the group however just conferred authority given to leaders of authorised and published local CTC Rides.
Fair enough, the above was just what I garnered from reading the referenced documentation. Happy to be wrong, I usually am.

OP
OP
srw

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I like your cathedrals idea. I was on the train through Ely recently and thought it looked a nice place to cycle to.
As it happens I have contacts in Ely cathedral, though whether I'd trust them to organise breakfast I don't know. It is a lovely place, although to get to it you (almost) have to go through the hell-hole that is Cambridge, and I'm not sure of the safety of the roads thereafter.

I've also got a contact in Wells cathedral (who I would trust to organise breakast), but Wells is sadly bereft of a station.

I feel a discussion over curry, breakfast and beer coming on this weekend.

I can't offer to organise a ride, since that would involve riding-a-bike-a-long-way and I'm remarkably crap at that at the moment.

But I'd be very happy to cheerlead/bake/assist etc for any round the York-ish neck of the woods.

U

User10571

[QUOTE 3281361, member: 10119"]I can't offer to organise a ride, since that would involve riding-a-bike-a-long-way and I'm remarkably crap at that at the moment.

But I'd be very happy to cheerlead/bake/assist etc for any round the York-ish neck of the woods.[/QUOTE]
Your generosity and hospitality - that which IHE - knows few bounds.

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
Or we could leave the club, and its insurance cover, to one side for the time being and people could run and participate rides between friends on a consenting adults basis.

That would definitely make things a lot easier. The downside probably would be that access for first timers would become more difficult. At least I would feel highly uneasy about leading a group with a fair share of uninsured and inexperienced newbies. Plus, I really like the Friday's openness to new riders of any form and shape. Without it, I would have never been bitten by this night riding madness.

Such rides - maybe calld Dark Night Rides to the Coast, or DNRttC - should be discussed in private chats rather than in the open internet. I'm not fundamentally against this idea, but eventually it all hinges on @dellzeqq's answer to @Dogtrousers question:

"Are these proposed rides to be done under the imprimatur of the Fridays, using the existing club structures established by DZ?"

sagefly

Veteran
Guys and girls

I've really enjoyed the Friday night rides and would like to offer a bit more.

Any help or extras for recceing rides etc I'm up for it if free from work.

The Oxford to London ride in particular, I'm sure that I could organise a pub near HPC for breakfast, plus it has space for bike parking etc.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Can I also put two other 'Cathedral' rides in the pot. Reading to Chichester and Reading to Salisbury.
Reading to Chi is pretty much all in my usual riding neck of the woods- most of the roads you've probably got in mind I'll have ridden at least once or twice, if not a lot more frequently. Any route advice/checking/cafe research I can offer is yours. Salisbury's a bit further out of my way, but I might still be able to help out if need be.

Top Bottom