The art of cycling commentary

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Newman8

Indeed - RIP.

blackgoff

Im quite sad about David Duffield, I enjoyed many hours listening to him.. cherished days. :smile:

I've been in touch with Carlton Kirby on occasion and is nice enough to reply on Twitter and I couldn't help but relay my thoughts towards this sad passing of Duffers..

blackgoff

Does anyone know if Dave Harmon is still doing any commentating? Him with Carlton and Sean......easily in my opinion the best combo.

If I'm thinking of the right person DH had time out depression or something I think and their was a campaign to get him back on Eurosport..

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Yet he wasn't always like that. Here he is simultaneously commentating on a crash and Sean Kelly winning MSR after having done the race without a co-commentator...

What a great race that was... I was still on the edge of my seat today, watching it 24 years later. And an impeccable combination of information, anecdote and responsiveness from Duffers.

beastie

Guru
What a great race that was... I was still on the edge of my seat today, watching it 24 years later. And an impeccable combination of information, anecdote and responsiveness from Duffers.
"The firemen behind are chucking on the coal"

oldroadman

Veteran
Well it's not really a dialect, he's just pronouncing the names as they would themselves. I'm all for this. British commentators' pronunciation of foreign names is embarrassing. If you ever listen to a typical German commentator, their pronunciation of English names is invariably immaculate.
The Eurosport commentator is Rob Hatch I think, who speaks many European languages. Which would account for him being able to correctly pronounce people's (and team) names. Example AG2R = (phonetically) "ar jay derz air". His English, as expected, immaculate. Learning other languages seems to improve the use of your native tongue.

blackgoff

The Eurosport commentator is Rob Hatch I think, who speaks many European languages. Which would account for him being able to correctly pronounce people's (and team) names. Example AG2R = (phonetically) "ar jay derz air". His English, as expected, immaculate. Learning other languages seems to improve the use of your native tongue.

Mr Rob Hatch does not phonetically pronounce English exactly.

Fact.

I once attended an Italian class and the English spoken by the tutor was perfect ! as was her Italiano..

Top Bottom