The Ashes 2015 - Spoilers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ganymede

Veteran
Arrrgh. Well that is the dismissal that Root nearly got last week, only this time they caught it. Boo.

England 85 for 4 – need 281 to avoid follow on

Brilliant bowling by the Aussies – I had seen a bit of Starc in IPL matches and was quite impressed, not seen much of Johnson in recent years and nothing of Hazelwood – Johnson was very impressive, bowling very fast and full – The England cause was not helped by some poor batting – Lyth and Root playing shots at balls that they could easily have left, Bell playing across one from Hazelwood, Balance put up some resistance before succumbing to a good un from Johnson . Cook somehow managed to come through – didn’t score many runs but came through – and is still there in the company of a determined combative Ben Stokes.

Just to get to the follow on will require a big effort by England

AndyRM

XOXO
Cook is key for the batting now. Only got two real batsmen left, with the desperate hope of a cameo from Broad.

Ideally England bat out the day and pray for rain.

Lyth has been a disaster in all but one innings I've seen him in. Swap him and Moeen I reckon.

Looking at the forecast the rain is a bit of a vain hope - 100s from Cook and Stokes plus significant scores from Buttler and Moeen is the only hope just to reach the follow on target - we should be thankful that there is still another 51 overs before the next new ball - Even if England weather the initial barrage this morning I suspect that Lyon may have some say in the outcome. Whatever, the outcome of the match - (and we must be thankful that they won the first one - so it will only be all square) some serious thinking must be given by the England selectors to what to do with the top four - It will be a test of the new coach and an indication of what his approach will be in the future - also there needs to be some clear thought about what pitches they play on - I cant make up my mind whether the Lords pitch is conspiracy or cock up

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
After day one I was wondering where the wickets could come from. Well, a lot happened yesterday and that little mystery has been solved. Testament to Stevie Smith's innings, I'd say.

England 181 for 5 - need 185 to avoid follow on

Well played by England this morning - Stokes played very well for his 85 - leaving well and picking the balls to hit - now down to either or both Buttler or Moen to make a big score - Cook will hang in there and has played well for his 56 - nonetheless he needs to turn the 56 into a big score

a bit of luck :smile: - Buttler caught behind - on replay shows keeper just grassed catch

OP
OP
Dayvo

Dayvo

just passin' through
Blimey! I go away for a week or so (England for 4 days) and witness a great Test win in Cardiff, then return and am out of internet range, then find out that things seem to be back to normal: i.e. capitulation.

Need some major application and runs in the second innings.

A drop of rain would help somewhat, too: :smile:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRBdwLuhE-kFEtR7tPtUDLEoQq2Z-g5bIkeN5L_uBUECML13SnRQw.jpg

OP
OP
Dayvo

Dayvo

just passin' through
Currently about 360 runs behind with six sessions left.

Aussies to declare with 570+ somewhere between lunch and tea tomorrow, I'd guess.

The Aussie batsmen will be in 20/20 mode looking for quick runs, so as to apply massive pressure on England's batsmen, and with plenty of time to bowl them out.

Or maybe three of England's batsmen to get big tons for an unprecedented win!?

As good as we were in the 1st test, we've been equally bad in this one. Totally outplayed and that top order needs looking at

...and I'm looking at you, Mr Bell....

Or maybe three of England's batsmen to get big tons for an unprecedented win!?

Bell to haul himself out of last chance saloon again :smile:

Bairstow in at 5 Root to four and maybe a hard look at Lyth

Top Bottom