The Ashes 2015 - Spoilers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wafer

Veteran
Pretty abject performance, no one should be talking about the pitch being placid in the first innings when England then get blown away like that.

I'd still go with Compton to replace either Lyth or Ballance, if replacing both, bring Moeen up the order and find another lower order batsman instead. Bairstow or Taylor for Bell with Hildreth continuing to be the nearly man.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
A TOTAL humiliation.
The worst since the drubbing in the world cup at the hands of NZ. Hard to see England coming back from that - 'men against boys' was the expression in my mind even before it came up in the commentary. The Stokes runout arguably the nadir, tho' the competition was immense. Gawd 'elp us.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
The negativity expressed by some on here is, unfortunately, in a microcosm all that is wrong with English top-level sport. Cricket, like most sports, is a confidence game. Heaping criticism and hand wringing makes things worse, not better. By all means change the team if it can be improved (and I think it can). But getting behind the side is what's needed instead of going on about humiliation or whatever. It's only 10 days since we were saying how much better England was than Australia

Having though about selection a bit more. Give Lyth more time, there isn't really a significantly better candidate for opening. Send Ballance back to county cricket to work on his technique because its been found out. Shift Bell up to three (yes I know), Root up to four and bring Bairstow in at five. Alternative is to get rid of Bell and, I guess, bring in Taylor, moving Root up to three

Let's try to get behind the side, whatever it is

The negativity expressed by some on here is, unfortunately, in a microcosm all that is wrong with English top-level sport. Cricket, like most sports, is a confidence game. Heaping criticism and hand wringing makes things worse, not better. By all means change the team if it can be improved (and I think it can). But getting behind the side is what's needed instead of going on about humiliation or whatever. It's only 10 days since we were saying how much better England was than Australia

Yup - England got badly beaten and are probably not feeling too good about it - but they did the same to the Aussies a week ago - Not everything is bad about this team it just needs a few tweaks to become more competitive - The Aussies are a very good team - they are not rated second in the world for nowt

Having though about selection a bit more. Give Lyth more time, there isn't really a significantly better candidate for opening. Send Ballance back to county cricket to work on his technique because its been found out. Shift Bell up to three (yes I know), Root up to four and bring Bairstow in at five. Alternative is to get rid of Bell and, I guess, bring in Taylor, moving Root up to three

I agree about Lyth and Ballance - Bell in fairness got one of the best balls in the match in the first innings and played quite well for his notverymuch in the second innings - my thoughts tho is that this is another failure in a long list - plus England are going on to play the number one team in the world at the back end of the year and that it would be an opportunity to introduce new blood in that area - another injection of energy - my preference would be Hales - big ask but he is no shrinking violet - Root to four and Bairstow at five is a no brainer

To be honest im not sure that I really expected England to be able to compete as well as they have - one all after two - a better pitch at Edgbaston so the "here we go again" thought is suppressed if they lose the toss - some fresh blood to generate some optimism

Wafer

Veteran
I think of the 3, Ballance is the one I'd keep. Realistically it was a bad few days at the office, but those 3 haven't exactly been impressing recently and I think I'd make one change there. Bell for Bairstow is probably the easiest one to make.
Far from convinced by Lyth, but he's only had a few matches.

We'll see how Bayliss and co want to handle it.

Ganymede

Veteran
Have to say I agree that just because we've lost this one (badly) - we can't lose sight of the fact that this is a team full of promise which has already won the first match really convincingly. (My perspective on Bell comes from looking back a lot further than this match. And as I say I would love to see him pull of a big return to form.)

I get frustrated when the media starts panicking, "oh god we're rubbish" when what needs to happen is what obviously happened in the Aussie dressing room after the first Test - a new commitment to dig in, get your heads down, work it, bring it on. Our guys know they can do it because they won the first one!

Wafer

Veteran
Womens Ashes started today with an ODI at Taunton. Aussies 238-9 off their 50, after a good start from the England bowlers Ellyse Perry showed her class with a 120 run partnership with Blackwell.
England came back at the end of the innings thanks to a couple of run outs.
Not actually too sure how competitive a total that is, looks defendable but England have scored that many runs in 2nd innings several times before and they are a very good side.

Not really thought of it before but the mixed format ashes is interesting, coming about because they don't play many test matches I had thought the idea might be to move it more test based if the womens game expanded enough. But actually, why not go the other way and have mens series be mixed format too?
There have been debates in the past about how many points different matches are worth. I think last time they played the womens ashes in England we won the test and managed to get away with losing some other games and still keep the ashes.

As it's rest day in TDF, womens cricket commentary is available at http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/cricket/33574973

Wafer

Veteran
So back to the men, Ballance dropped, Bairstow comes in, apparently to bat at 5 with Bell and Root moving up a place each.
So maybe now we'll be recovering from 2 for not very many rather than 3 for not very many?

Last edited:
Bairstow in - Bell to 3 is a good move - Bell before he got out to the spinner did at least show that he could resist playing at the fast left armers when the ball was arriving very early and getting big

Wafer

Veteran
Good win by the women. Was looking a bit dodgy at about 80-4 but Natalie Sciver and Lydia Greenway had a great 120 run partnership and when both got out towards the end Elwiss and Brunt spanked a few (5 4s in 25 runs for Elwiss) to get them over the line with 4.2 overs to spare compelting a 4 wicket win.

OP
OP
Dayvo

Dayvo

just passin' through

Cock-up, methinks.

Glad to see that we only lost by 405 runs by negating the Australian bowlers! How bigger margin a defeat would it have been if they actually prepared a fast bouncy wicket?

England should worry about their team and players and prepare wickets that suit their batsmen and bowlers, not wickets that don't suit the Australians.

It is Wednesday - It is Edgbaston - Third Ashes Test - Aussies win the toss and bat

Finn is in for the injured Wood, Bairstow for Ballance - Aussies unchanged

Top Bottom