The building of my second CCCF (FM 015)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
At the risk of annoying some people can I ask why is your saddle set at such a ridiculous angle pointing down at the ground so much! I see this so often and on lots of bikes pictured here on CC. It isn't efficient, and despite what some say it isn't comfortable as you are always working to keep yourself from sliding forwards. It is often the case that the rider has the saddle set too high and in order to be able just ride the bike they have to tilt the saddle forwards in this way. Take a look at any pictures of any of the Pro riders bikes and you will never ever see a saddle set at this ludicrous angle. There's a reason for that and it's that they will clearly have it at the optimum setting for performance, efficiency and comfort. It's their livelihood so if anybody knows then they do!

Sorry for the moan, it's a lovely looking bike and I'm sure it's a pleasure to ride but it could be so much better. Lower the seat a little bit and level it out - job done!

I am going to suggest that the saddle is level and it the nose that is sloped.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
I am going to suggest that the saddle is level and it the nose that is sloped.

B.I.N.G.O.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Certainly not disputing that Af, just wondering if the single yellow cable is Gaz's built in Livestrong tribute. It could become your own bike signature Gaz, every bike no matter of colourway has one single yellow cable outer on it.

I'll let you patent that idea buddy :thumbsup:

Single?

Both Gear cables are yellow :smile:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Take a look at any pictures of any of the Pro riders bikes and you will never ever see a saddle set at this ludicrous angle. There's a reason for that and it's that they will clearly have it at the optimum setting for performance, efficiency and comfort. It's their livelihood so if anybody knows then they do!

I am sorry to disappoint you but the reasons why pro-riders have things set up the way they do has more to do with the UCI rulebook than what they would prefer.

A case in point is that in certain circumstances, and I mean specifically TTs and triathlon here, it makes sense to have the saddle angled down somewhat. Clearly this isn't comfortable for long rides or touring. Previously, there was some tolerance of slight down-angling in pro-cycling, but now the UCI have now banned it completely, which caused a lot of consternation at this year's TdF, where they had the spirit levels out (I am not joking). See here: http://velonews.competitor.com/2011...ion-continue-squabble-over-saddle-tilt_182794

Here's an interesting article about saddle angles amongst other things to do with position in triathlon, which talks about this before the current UCI rule change. http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/tt_fit.html

There is interminable discussion on such things on tri forums...

gds58

Über Member
I am sorry to disappoint you but the reasons why pro-riders have things set up the way they do has more to do with the UCI rulebook than what they would prefer.

I'm afraid I will have to disappoint you and disagree with this as you are incorrect (in some ways). This UCI ruling (which I am already aware of) is actually a relatively new inclusion, but if you care to go back 20 or even 30 years and look at images of pro's bikes you will see that they have always set their saddles as close to level as possible BEFORE this UCI ruling was ever even thought of. This is not by chance or coincidence it's by reason and design, so i stand by what I previously said in that the Pro's set them up in this way for good reason. I accept that on a TT or Tri' bike due to the more extreme position often used, that it might sometimes be more practical to tilt the saddle forwards slightly.

Top Bottom