The Bus Flash Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I got a bus flash today. I was riding along with a fellow CCer, which made it all the sweeter - she was dead impressed.

As it goes, I get a lot of bus flashes. By which I mean that I wait for the bus as it pulls out from the stop, and the bus driver flashes his rear lights by way of thankyou.

Back in the summer Susie and I got four separate flashes from the same bus on the way to Barking. It was one in the morning, and we were on the Barking Road, recceing the Burnham ride. Since then we've been collecting them, competing for them even. She gets more than me, but I've had a bus flash that was more of a quadruple wink - right light, left light, right light, left light.

Have TfL encouraged bus drivers to give bus flashes? Is this some clever marketing scheme? Or are we just uniquely blessed? And have you had a bus flash?

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I got a 4x4 thank you honk (for my helpful indication that they could safely pass), and a compact car hazard lights flash for same. Unfortunately there's only one layby on my usual route that could earn me a bus flash.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I've lost count of the number of times I've slowed down to let a bus pull out, only for some dumb cyclist behind to overtake me and the bus.
Thereby slowing us all down.

Sounds like one's aim in life is to become a 'bus did flash'...I'm there.

I get quite a few - I suspect that I'm the first thing the driver might see at the back corner of his bus before pulling off...just being thoughtful, like Adamadodo above...little wave 'I see you' etc...

No, you get nothing for that. Sorry.

I find that they often say thank you to me for not pulling out and overtaking the (very few) buses that I encounter on my domestic commute. It does save a lot of hassle because I have found that through one particular town, if a catch a bus and overtake it, it will then repeatedly overtake me - there will be people at each and every bus stop. But if I sit behind it, ease up a touch, the driver has usually collected the next batch of people just as I get to the bus and I let it out again, and we repeat until he goes off into the housing estate (it is usually a male bus driver). Later on when he catches me up again on a NSL A road he is always really good and gives me plenty of space if I have been letting him out.

Top Bottom