The Bus Flash Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
yeah I get a few. I do like to let the bus out on on Victoria Park Road and they drive at a nice 15mph ( narrow and a fair few chicaney things) that means i can keep up with it but not get abused by car drivers for " blocking the way"

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I got a bus flash today. I was riding along with a fellow CCer, which made it all the sweeter - she was dead impressed.

As it goes, I get a lot of bus flashes. By which I mean that I wait for the bus as it pulls out from the stop, and the bus driver flashes his rear lights by way of thankyou.
I had a taxi flash earlier this year, during the London to Brighton Overnight ride - but that was something entirely different (from a young lady who had been enjoying the local hostelries rather too much and appeared not to mind the cold night air on her extremities).

snorri

Legendary Member
Pfffff a flash from a bus is nothing.
We were sailing several miles off shore, the only vessel on the open sea when the Red Arrows took off from their temporary base at Lossiemouth. They were heading for Lochinver on the west coast to perform there and when directly over our heads released a short flash of multi-coloured smoke. We hadn't covered many miles when they repeated the salute on their way back to Lossiemouth, they had clearly saved a bit of smoke for us and short changed the paying customers at Lochinver^_^.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Never got, erm, flashed yet, although I always let buses pull out.
Maybe not something that's done here?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The other week i was riding along when i noticed those dreaded hedgerow cuttings on the road. I rode in primary for about 45 seconds to avoid them,holding up the approaching double decker bus behind me. He sat well back and when i moved back into the cycle lane he eventually overtook me giving me a little pip on his horn and flashed his hazard warning lights as if to say i know why you did that. I held up my hand and he flashed again,what a nice chap!:thumbsup:

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The best "flash" ever was in 1979, on the water between Falmouth and St Mawes. I was sailing alone in a 26ft yacht that moved at the speed of a sloth on Mogadon. Approaching alarmingly fast in the distance was Condor of Bermuda, the largest wooden racing yacht in the world at the time, 77ft of beautiful varnished mahogany, practicing for the Fastnet Race. I was on starboard tack. That meant that they would have to tack for my benefit to let me stay on course, a bit of a pain for so large a craft. I let go all the sheets and drifted to let them pass about thirty yards off my bow without the need to change course. All twenty of the crew waved and shouted their thanks. Happy day.

Last edited:

Fubar

Guru
Pfffff a flash from a bus is nothing.
We were sailing several miles off shore, the only vessel on the open sea when the Red Arrows took off from their temporary base at Lossiemouth. They were heading for Lochinver on the west coast to perform there and when directly over our heads released a short flash of multi-coloured smoke. We hadn't covered many miles when they repeated the salute on their way back to Lossiemouth, they had clearly saved a bit of smoke for us and short changed the paying customers at Lochinver^_^.

Step back people, we have a winner!

Fubar

Guru
Never got, erm, flashed yet, although I always let buses pull out.
Maybe not something that's done here?

Edinburgh bus drivers are pretty appreciative and on the narrow parts of Ferry Road it actually helps, as I can keep pace with the bus and cars don't try stupid overtaking maneuvers 'cos there is a big bus in front of me. Fife bus drivers however are a very different breed...

Top Bottom