The Chain....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
......freakin' broke on this mornings commute :cursing:

I wouldn't mind but it's done less than 200 miles. It didn't snap, but one of the outer plates popped off the pin, and as the plate was on the leading edge the bugger caught on the front mech cage and basically locked the back wheel. Fortunately I was still building up speed from some lights so I was able to stop safely.

I transformed from a commuter into a mechanical God in the blink of an eye. Chain was split, missing link added, re-connected, front mech tension let off, re-adjusted, re-tensioned and on my way, safe to say I even impressed myself with how I fettled it, (not that there was anyone else to impress mind :whistle: )

It has left me wondering about how it could have happended though. The chain is a KMC X10 which are reported as being very strong, and my other worry is I've just fitted the same chain to my CAAD10, and I'm doing the Cat & Fiddle challenge next Sunday.

Am I worrying about nothing, (at least with the CAAD)? I think the chainline could be an issue with the Peugeot commuter. It's an 80's frame that I re-spaced and converted to 10 speed, apart from that I can't see why this shoud have happened TBH.

Anyone got any ideas of where to look to make sure it doesn't repeat itself in another two weeks time?

Top Bottom