The Cookson Chronicles - His actions as UCI president thus far

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I'll save you the bother - he was doping as an amateur, so all his results were thanks to drugs.

As I recall, Rendell does suggest that, but lacks firm evidence - and the only hard evidence we have is from the newspaper investigation that found he was on Conconi's program from 1993 onwards when he turned pro with Carrera. His talent was in any case recognised as a kid. But yes, he was on EPO his entire pro career. As were, it seems, from the same investigations, all of his cohort - from whom he stood out regardless. Anyway, I'm happy to accept correction if I remember wrongly.

Anyway, I'm not defending Pantani's doping or anyone else's. However, I can still think of him with sadness, sympathy and some admiration. His talent was relentlessly abused by those around him as much as he treated his own body carelessly. These are all different and unresolved thoughts. Nevertheless the human brain is capable of holding two or three (or more) unesolved and contradictory thoughts at the same time. And not all views can be resolved one way or the other (or should be). That way leads either to justification or to the utter condemnation of everything and everybody. It's about compassion and empathy and being human. And that was exactly the point of what I was saying earlier.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
... or because of....

That only makes any kind of sense if you delete the first half of the sentence you were (mis)quoting... :rolleyes:

The Couch

Über Member
I read this on a Belgian newspaper (and just had it translated by Google):

Brian Cookson, President of, the UCI, put the door ajar for Lance Armstrong. The Brit says that former sevenfold Tour winner might be forgiven for his doping past. "You can not exclude anyone of them," said Cookson.

"In the case of Armstrong it all depends on what he stated to the CIRC and whether he participated in the interrogation. He must also show sincere regret." The CIRC is an independent reform commission investigating doping in cycling - Armstrong was recently called to tell his story. In January, the committee comes out with its findings. If a symbolic forgiveness for Armstrong also means that the American can re-record a function in cycling, is far from certain.

"The CIRC should provide that," said Cookson. The committee considers should be made to capture clear guidelines to determine whether a doping sinner may subsequently active in the sport. Based on the study by the US Anti-Doping Agency USADA Armstrong suspended for life at this time.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Another quote from Cookson and something we've talked about on here before, about Sky not developing British talent, which I know there are split opinions about but..

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...oning-british-development-sir-dave-brailsford

“I’m reluctant to criticise Sir David Brailsford in any way because he has done amazing things with British Cycling and with Team Sky, but I feel that the team isn’t quite staying true to one of the reasons it was formed. I mean, the Yates brothers should be in Team Sky.”

I Personally agree with the sentiment. Sky have lost their way.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I feel that the team isn’t quite staying true to one of the reasons it was formed. I mean, the Yates brothers should be in Team Sky.”
If it's not a formally stated and measured requirement for the team to "develop British talent" then there will inevitably be a conflict of interest between results and development, and results will win. If it's a wishy-washy aspiration it will soon be forgotten.

I think (but I'm not sure ... I think I read it on here) that some of the European national lottery funded teams may have local development as a requirement of their funding, formally defined.

Anyway, now he's at the UCI, not BC, is it really any of his business who Sky pick?

oldroadman

Veteran
If it's not a formally stated and measured requirement for the team to "develop British talent" then there will inevitably be a conflict of interest between results and development, and results will win. If it's a wishy-washy aspiration it will soon be forgotten.

I think (but I'm not sure ... I think I read it on here) that some of the European national lottery funded teams may have local development as a requirement of their funding, formally defined.

Anyway, now he's at the UCI, not BC, is it really any of his business who Sky pick?
Who Sky contract is entirely up to them - they are a pro team and whatever anyone wants to think, don't have any connection with BC. The team are a business and have not really had the results that a top line sponsor might expect this season. Next move have a clear out, hire in other talent (both riders and sport direction), rebuild, and go after results. In a results driven business (which is what pro racing is) you need to justify the huge investment, or the money goes away. Quite a simple idea really, it's a hard old world. The lottery sponsorships must be producing extra sales (unless it's a state patronage) or they wouldn't be there. That said, I wonder what the British public's reaction would be to a British Lotto team which was a £10 million a year job, no doubt in my mind there would be some uproar which would only be silenced by results and a lot of TV coverage. Which would require more than a squad of young Brits.

lyn1

Über Member
Who Sky contract is entirely up to them - they are a pro team and whatever anyone wants to think, don't have any connection with BC. The team are a business and have not really had the results that a top line sponsor might expect this season. Next move have a clear out, hire in other talent (both riders and sport direction), rebuild, and go after results. In a results driven business (which is what pro racing is) you need to justify the huge investment, or the money goes away. Quite a simple idea really, it's a hard old world. The lottery sponsorships must be producing extra sales (unless it's a state patronage) or they wouldn't be there. That said, I wonder what the British public's reaction would be to a British Lotto team which was a £10 million a year job, no doubt in my mind there would be some uproar which would only be silenced by results and a lot of TV coverage. Which would require more than a squad of young Brits.

The pro scene is very highly nationalistic and in that respect Sky are among a small number of exceptions. Many teams appear to support their own riders as development and bring in some hitters to provide the results
I do not think it's a given that a sponsor will receive more positive recognition from it's home public because it supports a winning team, than it would by supporting a somewhat less "successful" team with far more of it's own nationals.

as at start 2014 season
Bardiani 100% Italian
Columbia 100% Columbian
RusVelo 100% Russian
Topsport Vlanderen 100% Belgian
FDJ 90% French
Bretagne Seche 88% French
Drapac 88% Australian
CCC Polsat 84% Polish
Nerri Sottoli 81% Italian
Europcar 81% French
Caja Rural 75% Spanish
Androni 75% Italian
Wanty 74% Belgian
(Euskaltel 70% Spanish)
Cofidis 68% French
Belkin 66% Dutch
Lotto 63% Belgian
Movistar 63% Spanish
AG2R 63% French
Lampre 58% Italian
Katusha 57% Russian
Orica 54% Aus
Cannondale 54% Italian
(Vaconsoleil 52% Dutch)
United Healthcare 43% USA
OPQ 40% Belgian
MTN 40% African
IAM 38% Swiss
Astana 34% Kaz.
Sky 29% British (now less as JTL gone)
Garmin 28% USA
Tinkoff 26% Danish
Trek, BMC, NetApp-Endura* and NovoNordisk all less than 25%
(*although significant increase in German component with Bora for 2015

Last edited:

oldroadman

Veteran
The pro scene is very highly nationalistic and in that respect Sky are among a small number of exceptions. Many teams appear to support their own riders as development and bring in some hitters to provide the results
I do not think it's a given that a sponsor will receive more positive recognition from it's home public because it supports a winning team, than it would by supporting a somewhat less "successful" team with far more of it's own nationals.

as at start 2014 season
Bardiani 100% Italian
Columbia 100% Columbian
RusVelo 100% Russian
Topsport Vlanderen 100% Belgian
FDJ 90% French
Bretagne Seche 88% French
Drapac 88% Australian
CCC Polsat 84% Polish
Nerri Sottoli 81% Italian
Europcar 81% French
Caja Rural 75% Spanish
Androni 75% Italian
Wanty 74% Belgian
(Euskaltel 70% Spanish)
Cofidis 68% French
Belkin 66% Dutch
Lotto 63% Belgian
Movistar 63% Spanish
AG2R 63% French
Lampre 58% Italian
Katusha 57% Russian
Orica 54% Aus
Cannondale 54% Italian
(Vaconsoleil 52% Dutch)
United Healthcare 43% USA
OPQ 40% Belgian
MTN 40% South African
IAM 38% Swiss
Astana 34% Kaz.
Sky 29% British (now less as JTL gone)
Garmin 28% USA
Tinkoff 26% Danish
Trek, BMC, NetApp-Endura* and NovoNordisk all less than 25%
(*although significant increase in German component with Bora for 2015
Just did a bit of research - it appears that Sky is possibly supported not just by the UK, but links in with others in Europe (maybe Italy? Would explain a certain transfer in.) so it could be seen as international, although of course we want to think of it as a British team. With a "service courses" in Belgium!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Can I just remind lyn1 again that 'Africa' is not a nation, it's an entire continent composed of many nations... it's the equivalent of 'Europe'.

lyn1

Über Member
Originally it said 40% South Africa, but I did not have time to check whether the original data was specific to the country so changed it to the Continent to be safe, as in the specific context ....teams supporting their nationals or riders from specific geographic locations (even Continents given my understanding of the MTN ethos)) it did not influence the argument. I had not forgotten your earlier point which I appreciate is important in certain contexts. On checking, it is approx. 40% South African and a higher proportion African.

resal

Veteran
Just did a bit of research - it appears that Sky is possibly supported not just by the UK, but links in with others in Europe (maybe Italy? Would explain a certain transfer in.) so it could be seen as international, although of course we want to think of it as a British team. With a "service courses" in Belgium!
Well done on that research - Sky is broadcast over Europe. This is a very valid point you make. So Sky is not a British team however us Brits would like to think it.

But I am still a little confused, how did Cookson and Drake manage to convince the UK Sport audit team that it was ok for BC staff to continue to receive 100% of their salaries out of the public purse as well as a full salary from Sky, if Sky was not a British team and fully independent. I never could work that one out.

Now just who was paying the auditors Deloitte for that independent investigation, into possible conflict of interest remind me again, ......

And there is was, Lehman Brothers had a fully independent audit from respected accountant practice Ernst and Young and they found ..........nothing...Everything in the banking world was great, stop worrying you sweet little heads and leave all this high finance to those who know and understand. There is nothing for you to be worried about .

Good job there was nothing improper about the relationship between Sky and BC. Deloitte took the cheque from UK Sport and told UK Sport exactly what UK Sport wanted to know.

[I need to write a comment about "Great British Cycling " by Ellis Bacon. Don't buy it. It is the most infuriating book. It is the contemporary example of why the cycling media kept spouting pro Lance propaganda to the end, and how they have not learnt any lessons. I posted that last para up motivated by the way Bacon just spouted Sky/BC propaganda about that audit rather than give a single word to any counter perspective.]

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I was under the impression that Sky had stated that they had plans to employ the Yates brothers in the future but were letting them get international experience with other teams currently, because bringing them in to Team Sky now would see them getting less time in top flight racing. It's possible I'm misattributing a pundit quote though.

lyn1

Über Member
Bit arrogant and contradictory by Sky then? ......send them to a team that they consider to be below them and less results orientated, so they can be given more chances, yet are ranked above them:
1 1 MOVISTAR TEAM (MOV) ESP 1440
2 3 BMC RACING TEAM (BMC) USA 1212
3 2 TINKOFF-SAXO (TCS) RUS 1186
4 4 OMEGA PHARMA - QUICK-STEP CYCLING TEAM (OPQ) BEL 1016
5 7 ORICA GREENEDGE (OGE) AUS 953
6 5 TEAM KATUSHA (KAT) RUS 938
7 6 AG2R LA MONDIALE (ALM) FRA 919
8 9 TEAM GIANT-SHIMANO (GIA) NED 905
9 8 TEAM SKY (SKY) GBR 890

oldroadman

Veteran
Hmm, an under 23 women's world champs at CX, world cup CX in USA and Canada, and closing the GCP operation (was that not one of PMcQ's/HV's pet projects?). Noy spectacular, but interesting and in my view sensible moves. Mr C proceeding cautiously and surrounding himself with bright people (which I believe he did at BC with considerable success), and it's only just over a year in. As I've said before, clearing up the situation he found is a three year project at a minimum, and probably a two term (8 year) job. I'll form an opinion then, but it does look like some progress is being made. Not a job I would want!

Top Bottom