The Cookson Chronicles - His actions as UCI president thus far

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldroadman

Veteran
Though I just read the rule only applies to one day races.
If I remember correctly, on stage races there is a rule about average daily distance. So it may be that a stage can be 220km, then a short time trial of say 35km would drop that average back again, and so on. This could account for some of the shorter (but very hard) stages in multi-day races. They are certainly better for being shorter and sharper in the last few years.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

So with the recent announcement of high demand for World Tour races, the pressure ramps up a little between ASO and the UCI, added to by the recent Velon deal which is stepping on ASO's toes more and muscling in between ASO and UCI. Cookson has previously said that there just hasn't been time to sit down with ASO but in reality is this just a case of who blinks first?

http://cyclingtips.com/2016/03/uci-hails-high-demand-from-organisers-for-future-worldtour-licences/
http://inrng.com/2016/02/velon-news/

OP
OP
C

Crackle

This thread is long due an upate. i had been waiting to see how the fallout with ASO was going to pan out but that's still thrashing about. In the meantime Cookson talks about Womens cycling and the changes made

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features...cling-a-q-and-a-interview-with-brian-cookson/

For definite I think there's been some positive developments last year and this. Definitely more exposure which can only be good but less progress on variety and style of racing. For instance La Course could be longer and whilst shown live didn't get much in the way of highlight coverage or analysis.

oldroadman

Veteran
This thread is long due an upate. i had been waiting to see how the fallout with ASO was going to pan out but that's still thrashing about. In the meantime Cookson talks about Womens cycling and the changes made

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features...cling-a-q-and-a-interview-with-brian-cookson/

For definite I think there's been some positive developments last year and this. Definitely more exposure which can only be good but less progress on variety and style of racing. For instance La Course could be longer and whilst shown live didn't get much in the way of highlight coverage or analysis.
Agree that it could be longer, although 80km in two hours round the Champs Elysee circuit is enough for anyone. Crashes late on showed the level of fatigue, I think, and did spoil the final a bit. The TV commentary could be better too, amazing how many times a certain lady on mic managed to mention Wiggle. You would think she was something to do with them.....

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Agree that it could be longer, although 80km in two hours round the Champs Elysee circuit is enough for anyone
Yes sorry I meant the circuit rather than the length, bring it in from the outskirts, using the same route as the men but starting earlier so there's no extra organisation.

In the meantime Cookson talks about Womens cycling and the changes made

I agree - it is pathetic - However, whilst I follow both the mens and womens tours - (Im not an aficionado - I have to look at the start lists before I remember who is who) - primarily to see how the brits are getting on and a few selected others - I do not, watch the TV coverage much - for most of the time it is duller than watching Chris Tavere bat (google him) - The womens tour more so - I been at the roadside for a couple of pro tour events (more by accident than design) and it was even duller than watching it on TV - If womens cycling is going to get a lift off it has to be done by themselves - personalities people can link to, it is not just about the cycling - obviously the governing body can do a lot - but they are practically invisible themselves - as an example of the interest in womens cycling was the thread on here - I went to watch the start of the final stage of this years womens tour - nowt was posted after my post.

Perhaps we expected too much, perhaps it is happening behind the scenes, perhaps it's too much to expect one man to change; perhaps the magnitude of the task is lost on us all? Bit maybe, just maybe, he is changing it.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2-qZu62itzP5YEjekCy1Dw4ScnbYYcdN7jelJ6DKfEBuQ9702-Q.jpg

Last edited:

oldroadman

Veteran
Yes sorry I meant the circuit rather than the length, bring it in from the outskirts, using the same route as the men but starting earlier so there's no extra organisation.
That would be a question that ASO would have to answer, but when you have their power, it seems most things are possible - somewhere about 120km would be good, with the last 60 or so on the Champs.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

personalities people can link to, it is not just about the cycling
There are a few personalties emerging but you have to follow them online, instagram, twitter etc... Emerging into mainstream news and current affairs is not even something many of the men have done, so it's still a big ask.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
I agree - it is pathetic - However, whilst I follow both the mens and womens tours - (Im not an aficionado - I have to look at the start lists before I remember who is who) - primarily to see how the brits are getting on and a few selected others - I do not, watch the TV coverage much - for most of the time it is duller than watching Chris Tavere bat (google him) - The womens tour more so - I been at the roadside for a couple of pro tour events (more by accident than design) and it was even duller than watching it on TV - If womens cycling is going to get a lift off it has to be done by themselves - personalities people can link to, it is not just about the cycling - obviously the governing body can do a lot - but they are practically invisible themselves - as an example of the interest in womens cycling was the thread on here - I went to watch the start of the final stage of this years womens tour - nowt was posted after my post.
For what it's worth and from a womans perspective ^^ i totally agree.

I have worked in a tough male dominated environment for over 25 years so i support wholeheartedly women moving on through and up BUT and it's a big and controversial one, NOT just because they are women. They have to have worked for and earnt it. Being given something just because you are this or that and not because you have earnt it causes friction and resentment that lasts decades.

Time and time again i will turn on the TV to watch womens cycling because i want to support it but as @psmiffy says, its so dull. I never watch a whole race. I have very little idea of who is who anymore because the media coverage is so rubbish as is the commentary.

After London 2012 we had TROTT, KING and ROWSELL quite rightly plastered everywhere. They were celebrated because they had earnt it, the same with Lizzie Armisted because of what she has achieved. Now i hardly hear anything about them or about any of our other girls. They need to build their serious media personalities not just where they went to school etc. Rio is coming up so lets hope the wave continues longer than 12mths for the girls taking part for GB and they themselves or their media agents and teams shove them in our faces for a long time after. Building the personalities and stories behind these women will build the interest in the public which in turn should force the media to shape up.

Top Bottom