The cult of 'ME'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Just an observation. ..seen it before but it still surprises me, I just don't understand what makes some people tick...selfie sticks,with a go pro (or similar) on it , videoing yourself booking in a hotel reception then walking to the bar and ordering some drinks.
Am I being a miserable get or is it just weird.
It must make compelling viewing back home :whistle:

Yes, you are a miserable old git. :cursing:

Same as me! ;)

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3832284, member: 43827"]As far as I am concerned it is up to me in my own time if I want to take a picture of me in my home and send it to my family who can see how cute I am. This is my opinion and I am certain that I am right and most people are interested in my life and will see my point of view and agree with me.

I
am not self-obsessed[/QUOTE]
Dead right.

Can't hang about here, I'm about to tell all my twitter followers what I had for breakfast this morning before I post a picture of it on Facebook.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think much of the world's population is succumbing to narcissistic personality disorder! :wacko:

It's why we are seen as irritating insects to be swatted off the road when out cycling - the driver's time is more important than our safety.

It's why people with no talent end up on TV talent shows.

Rather than seeing themselves as a small part of something huge (the world!), these narcissists see themselves as being a huge part of something smaller!

[I'm a miserable old get too! :laugh:]

outlash

also available in orange
I have a slightly different take on it, it's the 'on demand' culture where you you can watch, listen, play & buy pretty much whatever you want, whenever you want. Media has virtually no value these days, and with the joys of credit available at the click of a button you can buy it and have it delivered within 24 hours (you could then do an 'unboxing' video on youtube!).
My kids are growing up in this, and while it does have some merit, it is teaching some incredibly bad lessons and left unchecked, people can slowly disappear up their own backsides as nothing is beyond their reach.

ayceejay

Guru
The notion of sharing is never more hidden than on the road, it amazes me that so few people get it that , sure
you are in a hurry to get to work but aren't we all?
The people in front of you at a cash register are doing what
you are doing and not standing in your way just to annoy you.

stephec

Legendary Member
It's not for me, but plenty of people do like it as some clever person realised that there was money to be made from manufacturing selfie sticks.

Reactions: gbb

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Having been up to London on Friday and Saturday and due to be there all day tomorrow as well, I'm slightly concerned that I'm going to develop full blown pavement rage. I don't mind people taking photos, they are relatively static, expected and easy to avoid. It's the endless stream of idiots that think they are capable of negotiating busy streets and doing whatever on their smartphones at the same time.

Many years ago I would probably have appreciated the 'touch rugby' practice as I weaved gracefully, at speed, through the mindless throngs. Now all I'm getting is an increasing urge to snatch smartphones and throw them into the traffic. In my darker moments the smartphone user would also be sent the same way. As for selfie sticks on the go......there could be such a thing as a human popsicle.

snorri

Legendary Member
It's not for me, but plenty of people do like it as some clever person realised that there was money to be made from manufacturing selfie sticks.
....and another clever person realised there was money to be made from painting labels on the ground in order to assist selfie takers to find the right spot^_^.

Attachments

• DSCF6818.JPG
    DSCF6818.JPG
    205.8 KB · Views: 10

Lullabelle

Banana
Just an observation. ..seen it before but it still surprises me, I just don't understand what makes some people tick...selfie sticks,with a go pro (or similar) on it , videoing yourself booking in a hotel reception then walking to the bar and ordering some drinks.
Am I being a miserable get or is it just weird.
It must make compelling viewing back home :whistle:

Someone that I am friends on facebook is like that, she and her husband were on holiday and every day she posted pics of her with a drink in her hand/him with a drink in his hand/both of them with drinks in their hands- mostly her-she fascinates me which is why I have not unfriended her. She is so self obsessed :wacko:, it is really quite funny actually :laugh:

Reactions: gbb

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Having been up to London on Friday and Saturday and due to be there all day tomorrow as well, I'm slightly concerned that I'm going to develop full blown pavement rage. I don't mind people taking photos, they are relatively static, expected and easy to avoid. It's the endless stream of idiots that think they are capable of negotiating busy streets and doing whatever on their smartphones at the same time.

Many years ago I would probably have appreciated the 'touch rugby' practice as I weaved gracefully, at speed, through the mindless throngs. Now all I'm getting is an increasing urge to snatch smartphones and throw them into the traffic. In my darker moments the smartphone user would also be sent the same way. As for selfie sticks on the go......there could be such a thing as a human popsicle.
It's unbelievable how many people you see walking along glued to their phone, frantically tapping away. Go anywhere you can sit down such as a café and the endless beep of text message alerts drive you up the wall.

Top Bottom