The CycleChat Helmet Debate Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

doog

Nice try at avoiding the point... but you were being asked to quantify and contextualise your statement that "There are a significant number of serious injuries amongst cyclists in Amsterdam each year" (I even put those worlds in bold to make it clear what I was referring to).

How many is a 'significant number' of serious injuries? How are you defining 'serious injuries'? What's the rate of injury per number of cyclists / number of b/millions of km cycled?

You know - the sort of definitions and measures that allow for valid comparisons with other countries / cities...

The poster has since kindly pointed out to me that 'No one seems to come to grief' whilst cycling in Amsterdam. Okay I take that on board, they've reiterated to me that they hold this opinion because they haven't seen it with their own eyes ...fairy nuff I would swear blind Leeds isn't a violent city as iv'e never seen an assault in Leeds however obviously I'm completely wrong and so are they.

That aside -you can throw all the statistics in the world around about the billions of miles done in Amsterdam (and im not arguing with them - please take this on board or try reading my posts ) the fact is that there are a significant number of cycling Injuries in Amsterdam.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
I'm not quite sure what you're saying here, but there are a number of posters across many of these threads that now view helmets in a different light (yourself included) thanks to the efforts of TMN and others, the hope from that is that they take that knowledge back to the people that they know and the message spreads. It's not just who's here it's who they tell and influence, directly and indirectly.
What I'm saying is in the greater population nobody is talking about helmet compulsion IMO, at least nobody I know has ever held a conversation with me regarding this (I'm in a bike club and have many non biking friends) It's just not on "ordinary" people's radar, I think theyve got bigger things to worry about.
It seems to me mostly people on this thread getting themselves in a tiz over compulsion,

Anyway it's a bit of a red herring, we haven't got compulsion and it's not imminent.

The fact remains that cycle helmets can help in an accident sometimes, as even the most die hard helmet haters admit. Maybe not always to prevent serious injury but maybe sometimes they have prevented serious injury.

Going back to mountain bikers, why is that any self respecting mtb rider will always wear a helmet these days? Is it because they are useless? I think not.

On that note do you @GrumpyGregry scorn and mock helmeted full kit mtb riders like you do roadies? What's the difference?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
And remember this thread is not wholly about compulsion, we don't have that in Europe as far as I know, anybody know if any European countries have ever been close to it.

I am derailing the current topic - but Spain has compulsion.

Cyclists of under 16 must wear a helmet at all times. Adults older than 16 must wear a helmet outside of city centres but are exempt during periods of excessive heat, on steep hills or if they are professional cyclists.[/user]

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I think that it is even odder than that, in that some people like to think of cycling as a bit dangerous. It feeds their self image of being a bit fearless, which they then express by wearing a helmet.

Correct.

I was on a plane recently where there were 2 middle-aged businessmen talking about cycling ... to be fair, the 'more experienced (long rides of 30 or so miles)' was telling the less experienced how important wearing a helmet was because cycling was soooo dangerous, only for the brave macho bullshit. They then shared anecdotes about who had the most near-death experiences etc.
If only the cutlery hadn't have been made of flimsy plastic ....

I've also had an 'all the gear and no idea' born again cyclist at another local club berating a young guy who had ridden with us for not wearing a helmet (we are pro-choice, the other club is no helmet no ride). The young lad's brothers and sisters all ride bikes, as do their parents as do their grandparents. The kid probably cycled out of his mothers womb, yet here he was being given chapter and verse on cycling safety by somebody whose probably not yet worn-out his first set of brake pads.

But hey ho.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Correct.

I was on a plane recently where there were 2 middle-aged businessmen talking about cycling ... to be fair, the 'more experienced (long rides of 30 or so miles)' was telling the less experienced how important wearing a helmet was because cycling was soooo dangerous, only for the brave macho bullshit. They then shared anecdotes about who had the most near-death experiences etc.
If only the cutlery hadn't have been made of flimsy plastic ....

I've also had an 'all the gear and no idea' born again cyclist at another local club berating a young guy who had ridden with us for not wearing a helmet (we are pro-choice, the other club is no helmet no ride). The young lad's brothers and sisters all ride bikes, as do their parents as do their grandparents. The kid probably cycled out of his mothers womb, yet here he was being given chapter and verse on cycling safety by somebody whose probably not yet worn-out his first set of brake pads.

But hey ho.
Are you suggesting that somehow mileage and experience should be taken into consideration in these debates, because surely the higher the mileage, the greater the risk the more approriate wearing a helmet is. Any fule kno that;

Steve.jpg

Steve 2.jpg

And don't even get me started on headphones!!!!!!!

doog

No, you gave an opinion when you said the injuries were "significant". You've been asked to explain that choice of word. You failed to do so.

No I didnt I said I said "significant number were serious"

Last edited by a moderator:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Hasn't Jersey mandated helmets for children ?

Edit: They have, for under 14s.
None of whom were dying anyway, so even if they have no measureable effect (which is about the best we can hope for), expect compulsion to be trumpetted as a great success. :sad:

Read the words. I said 'no one seems to come to grief', because in all the time I've spent cycling in Holland I have never seen a single collision or person falling off.
I'm aware of two cyclists falling off near me on my recent ride around Holland. One fell unaided onto a verge, completely inexplicably. One rode into a hedge at low speed. Both were wearing helmets - unlike the vast majority of people cycling there - so maybe there really is something in the suggestion that helmets encourage carelessness or impair decision-making or something.

What I'm saying is in the greater population nobody is talking about helmet compulsion IMO,
They don't talk about it. They just introduce rules to make it happen, in whatever sphere of influence they have. Did British Cycling talk to you before forcing helmets for the charity fundraising rides it supports?

at least nobody I know has ever held a conversation with me regarding this (I'm in a bike club and have many non biking friends) ...
Yeah, but you wear a helmet sometimes, so you are counted as in favour of compulsion by the decision-makers and there's no need to discuss it with you. I'm not making that up: one of the reasons government hasn't moved to force helmets is the low wearing rates, or in other words, they're assuming helmet wearers won't oppose a helmet law.

The fact remains that cycle helmets can help in an accident sometimes, as even the most die hard helmet haters admit. ...
It can help BUT IT IS UNLIKELY - please don't cut the important caveat out.

Going back to mountain bikers, why is that any self respecting mtb rider will always wear a helmet these days?
Firstly, some courses and most events compel helmet use. Secondly, they're fairly good at deflecting branches (if they don't have too many vents for them to catch on), so if you're going to buy one to enter events, why not?

However, I really hope that MTBers get Snell-standard helmets. I don't see the point of an EN helmet because you're unlikely to be hitting a flat road or a kerb edge on an MTB track - at least the stone test (in Snell but not EN) stands a chance of being relevant.

I was on a plane recently where there were 2 middle-aged businessmen talking about cycling ... [...] If only the cutlery hadn't have been made of flimsy plastic ....
They'd have been wearing helmets during the flight? :laugh:

Yep, I've had similar experiences on a ride, although the other club rider wasn't quite as newb as yours, but many helmet-pushers have absolutely no scruples about invading other clubs, scaring children, making claims that have no proper supporting evidence and so on - it seems any sneaky behaviour is acceptable if it serves the greater good of profits for the helmet manufacturers. It is very difficult to counter helmet-pushers without stooping to their level, as this discussion demonstrates.

I mean, we can't very well go on the rides of helmet-forcing clubs and berate them for wearing helmets... I guess they're mostly on open roads, so we could ride along and berate them, but I can think of many more fun rides to go on. I could stop saying hello to helmetted club riders but many of them already ignore anyone who's not dressed like a superman/stormtrooper crossover. Maybe I should switch the greeting to "why the hard hat? Are you off to a building site?" (which would be ironic as the builders I see around here cycling to work mostly don't wear helmets)

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I'm aware of two cyclists falling off near me on my recent ride around Holland. One fell unaided onto a verge, completely inexplicably. One rode into a hedge at low speed.
Very odd behaiour, wonder what could have caused that?

Top Bottom