The CycleChat Helmet Debate Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Going back to mountain bikers, why is that any self respecting mtb rider will always wear a helmet these days? Is it because they are useless? I think not.

On that note do you @GrumpyGregry scorn and mock helmeted full kit mtb riders like you do roadies? What's the difference?
For once, I find myself in total agreement with you. Utter hypocrisy on the part of @GrumpyGregry, and indeed many another. Facts are facts. And cannot be gainsaid ........

... I'm just watching an elderly beech tree racing down Foundry Lane at over 50mph - in a 20mph zone! The willow trees - they're worse than kids in souped-up Corsas! And have you seen how those granite boulders jump red lights! Just shocking. :whistle:

Sarciness aside, Justinslow - impacts with stationary boulders, trees, may well be within (questionable?) the design parameters of some helmet design. Being right-hooked by blind Mr Bloggs driving at 30mph is way outside any helmet design parameters. Being left-hooked by a scaffolding truck ......... doesn't bear thinking about.

But that's the difference. Some of use ride in the real world. Some of us play word games.

doog

About 450 cyclists are seriously injured in Amsterdam each year (and I note that the Amsterdam City Hall page you link to doesn't define 'seriously injured') - and there are 223,000,000 bike journeys per year.

So, is 450 journeys out of 223,000,000 ending in serious injury 'significant'? In statistical terms, no.

So your frantic googling doesn't actually support your original assertion. No brownie points for you I'm afraid...

Haha...how the hell can you say that number isnt significant...of course it is. So significant they are /were actively trying to address the issue at the cost of 7.4 million Euros a year.

...oh yeah and prove there were 223,000,000 journeys please..I want absolute, categoric proof right now or I'll throw my teddy right out of that pram and start demanding answers, accuse you of trolling even ...

You really couldnt make it up....the moon is made of cheese after all...I kid you not:laugh:

Last edited:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
A number of posts have been deleted, some for insulting language, some for being off-topic, some just because they were OK but were part of a sequence being deleted.

The thread will be unlocked tomorrow. Please all remind yourselves of the rules at the beginning of this thread.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Haha...how the hell can you say that number isnt significant...of course it is. So significant they are /were actively trying to address the issue at the cost of 7.4 million Euros a year.

...oh yeah and prove there were 223,000,000 journeys please.

just found this from here
How many accidents are there involving cyclists annually in Amsterdam?
The chance of being involved in an accident while cycling is actually relatively slim. In excess of 223 million bike journeys are made each year – that’s 613,000 every day. Unfortunately, between 15 and 20 fatal traffic accidents occur on Amsterdam’s roads each year – 20% to 30% of these are cyclists.

Approximately 900 people are seriously injured in traffic accidents each year. More than half of these are cyclists.

so we have 4-6 fatalities, around 450-500 serious injuries*, and 223 Million journeys each year... lets add up the fatalities and 'serious' injuries and call it 506 in total... what percentage of 223 million is that?
0.0002 approx, according to the 1st online calculator i found
*Oh... and serious injury does not mean 'head' injury... it'd be interesting to find out just how many of the 450-500 are actually head injuries

Last edited:

2IT

Everything and everyone suffers in comparisons.
Yes! The helmet thread is back and one of my favorites.

I find myself taking my helmet off and then on as I read. Please keep it up.

Survived no seat belts and no helmets while growing up. Take it as a sign that God wants me here for some reason. Now wear a seat belt so the police don't pull me over. A helmet for the sun and to look fast. I also post responsibly on the helmet thread.

MarkF

Guru
Going back to mountain bikers, why is that any self respecting mtb rider will always wear a helmet these days? Is it because they are useless? I think not.

I don't know Justin, I think MTB's are seen a default "right" bicycle for people (not particularly cycling interested) wanting to get fit, healthy whatever. I do a lot of cycling on the Leeds Liverpool canal as I live minutes from it, often to Skipton 25 miles away. Yep, the MTB'ers always wear helmets, good clothing gear and very often hydration packs, like they are cycling the Nullarbor Plain or summat. I always like to ask where they are going or where they've been, the answer is always the same, somewhere along the canal!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I don't know Justin, I think MTB's are seen a default "right" bicycle for people (not particularly cycling interested) wanting to get fit, healthy whatever. I do a lot of cycling on the Leeds Liverpool canal as I live minutes from it, often to Skipton 25 miles away. Yep, the MTB'ers always wear helmets, good clothing gear and very often hydration packs, like they are cycling the Nullarbor Plain or summat. I always like to ask where they are going or where they've been, the answer is always the same, somewhere along the canal!
There's mountain bikers and people with a mountain bike... I'm the latter :blush: ...i keep meaning to do that canal too. :biggrin:

There's mountain bikers and people with a mountain bike... I'm the latter :blush: ...i keep meaning to do that canal too. :biggrin:

You will need one of these helmets then...
HelmetPic.jpg

Or use the towpath like the rest of us.

Reactions: mjr

david k

Hi
I think that's all part of the experience, wearing the kit and going out enjoying a ride whilst imagining it's epic, which it may be for them.
I don't have an issue with 'full kit......' As some people see them, if your fit enough, keen enough and can afford to wear the kit of your choice go out and enjoy it I say, it's not for me to judge you, your cycling ability is irrelevant.
Branded kits and gear are not the exclusive right of those who are very good cyclists.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Check this out for some sanctimonious hyperbole.
http://www.wokinghampaper.com/cyclist-in-road-crash-my-helmet-saved-my-life/

Putting aside the credulous rubbish about how the helmet definitely saved his life and he would have been killed instantly without it, it beggars belief that he "wants to spread the word about how important bike helmets are" yet has absolutely nothing to say about drivers looking where the hell they're going and not driving into the back of other road users.

Every time one of these "helmet saved my life" stories comes out, they excuse the bad driving that led to the collision in the first place.

hatler

Guru
Check this out for some sanctimonious hyperbole.
http://www.wokinghampaper.com/cyclist-in-road-crash-my-helmet-saved-my-life/

Putting aside the credulous rubbish about how the helmet definitely saved his life and he would have been killed instantly without it, it beggars belief that he "wants to spread the word about how important bike helmets are" yet has absolutely nothing to say about drivers looking where the hell they're going and not driving into the back of other road users.

Every time one of these "helmet saved my life" stories comes out, they excuse the bad driving that led to the collision in the first place.
But what a fabulous first comment !!

Top Bottom