The CycleChat Helmet Debate Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Key points:

Cardiovascular complications are common after brain injury and associated with increased morbidity and mortality.1,2 The spectrum of abnormalities includes hypertension, hypotension, ECG changes, cardiac arrhythmias, release of biomarkers of cardiac injury, and left ventricular (LV) dysfunction. The abnormalities are usually reversible and management should therefore focus on general supportive care and on treatment of the underlying brain injury.

Nothing, you'll notice, about cardiac arrest. Lots about chronic and treatable conditions.
This is funny, I always thought User was a woman :laugh:!
More comedy gold from this mine of comedy gold. I think you're right. I've stuck it in 'the box' so I don't know now ( or care ).

EnPassant

Remember Remember some date in November Member
If they really want to make boxing safer, they'd get rid of boxing gloves and go back to bare-knuckles.
Actually I don't like boxing. I find the whole idea of trying to whack somebody else in the head on purpose somewhat unsettling if not quite abhorrent. But I accept that it is entirely up to those involved if they want to do it.

Come to think of it, I always thought srw was a woman too, am I wrong?
Yes.
Though you're not alone with regulator, mind you in his case it was perhaps something about the avatar itself that led me to that conclusion.

Incidentally if you click on the avatar a pop up will tell you if the poster is male or female if they provided the information in the first place.

Last edited:

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Actually I don't like boxing. I find the whole idea of trying to whack somebody else in the head on purpose somewhat unsettling if not quite abhorrent. But I accept that it is entirely up to those involved if they want to do it.

Nor do I, but getting rid of boxing gloves would reduce brain injuries in boxers.

Now, we can argue that there is a lack of evidence on the benefits of helmet wearing across cycling populations, whether because of a lack of effect or relevance in cyclist collisions. We can argue that compensatory behaviour by helmeted cyclists and/or other road users absorbs any safety benefit. Or that it would make more sense to wear such helmets in cars. (See www.cyclehelmets.org for evidence). But probably the biggest concern about helmet advocacy is the red herring effect – one which we see here to grotesque effect.

The simple fact is that what Mason may, or may not, have been wearing on his head is irrelevant to whether a driver who drove into him had broken the law – in this case driving without due care and attention. The idea that if Mason had been wearing helmet there would have been no case to answer is beyond preposterous. It is simply preposterous to assume that if Mason had been wearing a helmet there would have been:

1. no change in his or others behaviour (risk compensation).
  2. no other significant injury other than a head injury
  3. Total prevention of any head injury
  4. no significant inconvenience or discomfort to Mason
That’s the simply preposterous part – what takes it further is that driver carelessness is exonerated even if the consequences of it might not be that bad. Would we reduce the sentence of – or not even prosecute – someone who shot a policeman, because the policeman was wearing a bullet-proof vest?

https://rdrf.org.uk/2015/03/20/the-michael-mason-case-a-national-scandal-and-disgrace/

TLdr: The cops refuse to prosecute a driver who killed a cyclist doing nothing wrong cos he didn't have a plastic hat on.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly

Yes.
Though you're not alone with regulator, mind you in his case it was perhaps something about the avatar itself that led me to that conclusion.

Incidentally if you click on the avatar a pop up will tell you if the poster is male or female if they provided the information in the first place.
Cheers, yes I guess i built a mental picture in my head as to what they look like, male/female etc based on avatar and a general "feel" of their posts......

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Just in case you were wondering, @User is not really an elf..

And I'm not really a newt.

And I'm not really "slow" :tongue:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::ohmy::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Steady on, you're about to induce Ventricular Fibrillation in me. Now that could very well result in a Cardiac arrest.

I'm a paramedic trained First aider B.T.W. With many years of first hand, front line experience, but don't let that get in the way of you attempting to troll.

:okay:

And yet you don't seem to have a clue what you're talking about - and it's not just me saying that.

BTW, I'm a qualified first aider and have been for since the age of 10 (I was brought up in a country where it was a compulsory part of the school curriculum). I am also a qualified 'First Aid at Work' first aider . As for "first hand, front line experience", given I spent quite some time working in conflict zones as well as being a volunteer with the British Red Cross, I think it could be amusing to compare experiences - but somewhat irrelevant to the thread.

Oh I forgot to mention I'm part of the resuscitation council, jog on, there's a good chap.

With all due respect to both of you, being qualified to sustain life in an emergency until the professionals arrive (which is what a first aider does) doesn't qualify either of you to opine on any link between head injury and cardiac arrest. For that you'll need a neurologist or a cardiologist.

Talking of low recumbents, I saw a trike the other day which only had about 2" ground clearance... Didn't manage to spot the make. It night have been fast but not very practical.

Mine have between 4 and 11 inches

I have never grounded either

Top Bottom