The CycleChat Helmet Debate Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I called someone a naughty name on this thread, naughty enough for it to get deleted. However it that was because they were trolling (well I think they were) again, not because they wore a helmet.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Maybe not those exact words GC, but certainly posters with opposing views have been equally rude or obnoxious regardless of view at different times on here. I was looking to point out that if courtesy is expected one way it should be equally expected the other.
Links or quotes, dear fellow, please, showing any example where that rudeness has been based on them using a helmet rather than behaving like a nobber? (wishing serious injury on non-users, for example) I really do struggle to believe it's happening.

david k

Hi
Links or quotes, dear fellow, please, showing any example where that rudeness has been based on them using a helmet rather than behaving like a nobber? (wishing serious injury on non-users, for example) I really do struggle to believe it's happening.
Being condescending and calling someone 'dear fellow' could be classed as rude and even bordering on passive aggressive - pushing for a response and defining the rules of that response for example

I assume you disagree with the point that posters of opposite views have been equally rude at times in the past?

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Being condescending and calling someone 'dear fellow' could be classed as rude and even bordering on passive aggressive - pushing for a response for example
I was simply trying to be more polite, as requested. Clearly, there's no way to please some people!

In line with the Special Rules, now that you've clearly noticed the request, I won't repeat it again, but I note that NO examples have been offered.

I assume you disagree with the point that posters of opposite views have been equally rude at times in the past?
No need to assume: while some on each side have been rude, I think it's clear to anyone who bothers to look that helmet-users are far more often rude and sometimes even directly insulting and calling for physical harm to befall non-wearers than the reverse.

david k

Hi
""...............some on each side have been rude............

So you agree, some on each side have been rude. I originally responded to Ben try to add balance, the expectation of courtesy should be equal regardless of view.

Feel like people are trying to get a tit for tat argument out of a basic point both Ben and I agreed on, not sure why your looking for links and quotes if you agree, mugshot had posted above you that he had one removed?

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
So you agree, some on each side have been rude. I originally responded to Ben try to add balance, the expectation of courtesy should be equal regardless of view.

Feel like people are trying to get a tit for tat argument out of a basic point both Ben and I agreed on, not sure why your looking for links and quotes if you agree, mugshot had posted above you that he had one removed?
Yeah I did, I was also quite explicit in pointing out that I was not being rude to someone because they wore a helmet, that is what you are claiming. The reason I pointed out that I had had a post deleted was in case you had seen it and had remembered it as something which is was not.

What I really object to is the people who wade in calling everyone who does wear one a moron and being rude about it, and

A Morion:

Dutch%20Officers%20Morion.jpg

david k

Hi
Yeah I did, I was also quite explicit in pointing out that I was not being rude to someone because they wore a helmet, that is what you are claiming. The reason I pointed out that I had had a post deleted was in case you had seen it and had remembered it as something which is was not.
I know mugshot, remember I wasn't claiming this was necessarily right or wrong, just adding balance to Bens point by saying it works both ways. It was someone else who asked for examples :okay:

EnPassant

Remember Remember some date in November Member
Bollocks. Sometimes there's every justification. If someone explicitly wishes me harm I think being rude to them is pretty restrained really.
And herein for me lies the nub of the matter. I tend not to be rude to people by default, even on the internet where I try to remember that behind every post is a real person with real feelings. However I find it exceedingly difficult not to be when sufficiently provoked. If others stoop to the personal and insulting it is that much harder not to reply in kind.

For example it is a rare cyclist that having been cut up and endangered by some thoughtless road user that can maintain a complete air of calm about it.

I completely concur with srw here, the statement "I hope you fall off and injure or kill yourself, that will teach you the error of your ways" or anything similar is reason enough to get annoyed and yes, even insulting in return.

david k

Hi
And herein for me lies the nub of the matter. I tend not to be rude to people by default, even on the internet where I try to remember that behind every post is a real person with real feelings. However I find it exceedingly difficult not to be when sufficiently provoked. If others stoop to the personal and insulting it is that much harder not to reply in kind.
For example it is a rare cyclist that having been cut up and endangered by some thoughtless road user that can maintain a complete air of calm about it.
I completely concur with srw here, the statement "I hope you fall off and injure or kill yourself, that will teach you the error of your ways" or anything similar is reason enough to get annoyed and yes, even insulting in return.

I'm not defending any offensive comments and your right EnPassant, getting annoyed in return is often understandable, but we have to be careful as a free for all could ensue with the justification of 'he/she said it first"
We risk every poster lowering theirselves to the level of the most offensive and rude poster if we justify an equally rude response.
We also risk grouping people from one posters view.

Top Bottom