The CycleChat Helmet Debate Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Can someone explain why, in places that have seen a sudden increase in helmet wearing rates, like Australia, the rate of head injuries has not decreased in line?

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Well actually i mentioned aswell.....
Many on here paint a broad picture which they think covers all cycling, IMO this is not the case, there are many different facets of cycling and some are dangerous and many different scenarios of accidents. Some seemingly innocuous cycling activities can quickly become dangerous eg where children are involved.
When I'm training for a 3up TT and riding a few inches from someone's rear wheel am I an idiot with no skill? I'm taking lots of risks obviously but I have to do it to get better, to work as a team.
If riding along a busy road minding my own business and someone in a car cuts me up am I being "wreckless"?
The point is we all ride differently and if I choose to wear a helmet as I think it MIGHT offer me some protection in the event of an off then I will.
OK, lets give the benefit of the doubt and assume that when you said cycling at speed you meant cycling in a close group TT, not just cycling quickly. Now what about the rest of them?
cycling at speed, cycling too close to traffic whilst filtering, cycling too close to parked vehicles, cycling too close to the edge of the road, cycling in slippery conditions etc.
Maybe you could help me out with this one too, unfortunately Licramite hasn't been back to let us know how a helmet helps.
you don't regard 60ton artics on your elbow dangerous.

martint235

Dog on a bike
plenty... there's the low speed falls where it'll possibly prevent a bump or a graze... much like a woolly hat would. I always wear my trusty woolly hat in winter, even when walking to the shop. :okay:
The testing is only for low level falls, perhaps where you are off your bike, bending down to check a pedal and you somehow fall over.

The £80, if correctly attached, will also help to prevent grazes.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Coupled with the fact that I know at least two other cyclists who have impacted the road with their heads whilst wearing helmets. I'd really not like to be the one impacting the Tarmac without one.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Coupled with the fact that I know at least two other cyclists who have impacted the road with their heads whilst wearing helmets. I'd really not like to be the one impacting the Tarmac without one.
So we've gone full circle. Did the helmets help? Is there proof of that?

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Can someone explain why, in places that have seen a sudden increase in helmet wearing rates, like Australia, the rate of head injuries has not decreased in line?
This thread really is on a continuous loop isn't it.........
Because obviously Australian cyclists are highly skilled and didn't really crash much in the first place?

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
So we've gone full circle. Did the helmets help? Is there proof of that?
Well they say they did, and they didn't recieve serious head injury, whether you choose to believe that is up to you. Clearly as you have rather unluckily or through lack of skill smacked your head against a truck, you might disagree.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Well they say they did, and they didn't recieve serious head injury, whether you choose to believe that is up to you. Clearly as you have rather unluckily or through lack of skill smacked your head against a truck, you might disagree.
But there's absolutely nothing to suggest they would have received a serious head injury without a helmet. Also did the helmets compress or crack? In most areas of life where a claim is made, some kind of evidence to support that claim is expected. If I said that Djokovic was a better tennis player than Andy Murray, I could provide their head to head results to back up my claim. If I said that MMR vaccine was effective against measles, I could provide test results and data collected since it's introduction. If I said that body armour helped to prevent stab injuries to police officers, there is data to support that claim. If I said that cycling helmets prevent serious head injuries, I'd be able to say "My mate had a crash and didn't die".

As to the truck, it was 100% lack of skill on my part. I've never blamed anyone else for that accident. However rather than spend £80 on a piece of plastic that may or may not help if I smack the back of a truck again, I took the time to acquire the skills that mean in the intervening period I haven't come close to getting personal with the back of a truck.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
But there's absolutely nothing to suggest they would have received a serious head injury without a helmet. w
Except the medical professionals at the time saying so based on their experiences of seeing the results of accidents where different levels of clothing/helmets have been used over many years.
Just how do you go about "proving" whether they helped or not?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
We also know of other activities where a helmet 'might' help... but you don't want to consider those do you? I wonder why.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
OK, lets give the benefit of the doubt and assume that when you said cycling at speed you meant cycling in a close group TT, not just cycling quickly. Now what about the rest of them?

Maybe you could help me out with this one too, unfortunately Licramite hasn't been back to let us know how a helmet helps.
Don't think he/she was saying a helmet could help in all situations, just that cycling can be dangerous.
Clearly on a lightly used cycle lane at 10 mph it won't be very "dangerous" but on a busy A road with trucks "thundering past" and the resultant draught they cause maybe things could be a little more dangerous?

Top Bottom