The essential guide for new commuters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fimm

Veteran
With my pedant's hat on:
I would loose the "quotation marks" around things like swerve (section 3), stay alive (section 4 title) etc. They are not necessary.
You might add that not all junctions have ASLs.
There's a paragraph break in the wrong place (between "Large" and "vehicles") in section 4.
Section 5, "throughput" should be "throughout"
Section 6, there's an s missing from "a safer, confined area for cyclists to ride". Also an s missing in "Traffic Lights at junctions".
In the quote from User3143 "there" should be "their".
I would edit the quote from Magnatom to remove the reference to his video.
Some words appear to be missing from the end of section 7.
Surely section 10 should start "we hope you will never need to use this section" or something similar?
There's a closing bracket missing from the sentence starting "take photographs of all injuries".
Section 11; there's an unnecessary apostrophe in "kerb's"
"Drain cover" doesn't need the capital D.
Section 13; I think there should be an apostrophe in "some people's idea of distance" (the idea belongs to "some people")
Section 16, top of second page; "cycle paths" not "cycle-path's".
Section 19 "head cams can arguably"
I would reword the second paragraph of this section along the lines of "If you choose to film your ride there are many threads relating to the selection of a camera designed for the job; they range in price from anywhere between £40 to £400 (and sometimes upwards of thousands of pounds).
You could add links to the London and Sussex (or is it Surrey) police bad driving reporting sites.

Sorry, that's a lot... (waits for some pedant to find an error in her post).

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
fimm said:
With my pedant's hat on:
Surely section 10 should start "we hope you will never need to use this section" or something similar?

You could add links to the London and Sussex (or is it Surrey) police bad driving reporting sites.

Sorry, that's a lot... (waits for some pedant to find an error in her post).

Fimm thankyou for taking the time to check, I'll address all of these in the Morning.

I have, however highlighted the two comments above for the following reasons

1, section 10 does indeed have a comment to that effect, take another look, you'll see it just under the bold subheading.(glad to see we are thinking on the same lines though!)

2, I dont think we want to make the guide to "local", its for everyone in every region/city and including regional links goes againt that message (I hope the other links are all national...I'd better go check!)

appreciate your help...keep em coming

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
fimm said:
I would loose the "quotation marks" around things like swerve (section 3), stay alive (section 4 title) etc. They are not necessary.
Done, although i left in the marks around Black box and Outed in section 17 as i think these are terms... or quotes

You might add that not all junctions have ASLs.
Good point, done

There's a paragraph break in the wrong place (between "Large" and "vehicles") in section 4.
Done

Section 5, "throughput" should be "throughout"
Done

Section 6, there's an s missing from "a safer, confined area for cyclists to ride". Also an s missing in "Traffic Lights at junctions".
Done

In the quote from User3143 "there" should be "their".
Done

I would edit the quote from Magnatom to remove the reference to his video.
Done

Some words appear to be missing from the end of section 7.
Done, text box needed expanding...oops

See note in previous post

There's a closing bracket missing from the sentence starting "take photographs of all injuries".
Done

Section 11; there's an unnecessary apostrophe in "kerb's"
Done

"Drain cover" doesn't need the capital D.
Placed a full stop before (which i missed earlier)

Section 13; I think there should be an apostrophe in "some people's idea of distance" (the idea belongs to "some people")
Done

Section 16, top of second page; "cycle paths" not "cycle-path's".
Done

Section 19 "head cams can arguably"
Done

I would reword the second paragraph of this section along the lines of "If you choose to film your ride there are many threads relating to the selection of a camera designed for the job; they range in price from anywhere between £40 to £400 (and sometimes upwards of thousands of pounds).
Done

See note on previous post

Sorry, that's a lot....
Dont apologise, I appreciate your help

Page 11 - last quote
- Near the end it changes from Italics mid word/sentence.

Page 12 - Section 12. - Bullet Points
- some end with periods some don't
- some periods come before the (parenthesis) some afterwards.

Page 12 - Section 12.
- riders kit bags should be rider's
- Maybe use a tinyurl or another service for the URLs? (Or if possible, get the site admins to produce shortened URLs so you don't rely on an external service).

Page 17 - Seciton 19
No period or comma after first parenthesis.
"sites" - better as "websites" ?

Page 17 - Section 20
"cycle and cyclists' safety equipment" - Surely should just be "cyclist"?
"equipment and loan it" - Better as "equipment then loan it"?

(I haven't properly proof read it, wasn't my intention, these are just what I saw on a quick read).

Now non-grammar/spelling/puctuation point.

Page 17 - Section 19.
Data protection is foggy? It's public, that's the end of it. Data protection only applies to companies, and does not apply to video anyway.

Would it be nicer to note that YouTube can remove video for any reason it wants, and that removal doesn't always equate to legality/breech of some fictitious privacy law?

btw, You-Tube or YouTube :tongue: second time it says You-tube (varies in the section, YouTube has no hyphen anyway)

Does commuting always equal city cycling though?

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
drsquirrel said:
Page 11 - last quote
- Near the end it changes from Italics mid word/sentence.

Done

Page 12 - Section 12. - Bullet Points
- some end with periods some don't
- some periods come before the (parenthesis) some afterwards.

Done

Page 12 - Section 12.
- riders kit bags should be rider's

Done

- Maybe use a tinyurl or another service for the URLs? (Or if possible, get the site admins to produce shortened URLs so you don't rely on an external service).

Er...what? (translation please). If I understand correctly, i'm not sure tinys will convert into a PDF (and retain the hyperlink). Does anyone know this

Page 17 - Seciton 19
No period or comma after first parenthesis.
"sites" - better as "websites" ?

Done

Page 17 - Section 20
"cycle and cyclists' safety equipment" - Surely should just be "cyclist"?
"equipment and loan it" - Better as "equipment then loan it"?

Done

(I haven't properly proof read it, wasn't my intention, these are just what I saw on a quick read).

Thanks, appreciate your help

Now non-grammar/spelling/puctuation point.

Page 17 - Section 19.
Data protection is foggy? It's public, that's the end of it. Data protection only applies to companies, and does not apply to video anyway.

Actually reads that DATA protection does not cover it. But the law is foggy (in a genaral sense, I.E not filming of police or secure buildings, removal of footage if complained against etc) I didnt want to expalin all of this in the guide (as i am not an expert on the law of filming in public places) but am happy to alter if everyobne feels the same

Would it be nicer to note that YouTube can remove video for any reason it wants, and that removal doesn't always equate to legality/breech of some fictitious privacy law?

Done

btw, You-Tube or YouTube :tongue: second time it says You-tube (varies in the section, YouTube has no hyphen anyway)

Done

Does commuting always equal city cycling though?

No not necessarily, but on the whole, YES

Okay, the Data Protection line can be confused, it makes it seem like that video is controlled by Data Protection, but not restricted. Rather than just not being valid at all.

As for filming of secured buildings etc (this is the foggy part you refer to I assume... which isn't related to DP hence why I am questioning what you mean), it is pretty clear until it until it gets to "which is for the time being declared [F2 by order of a Secretary of State] to be a prohibited place for the purposes of this". Unless you are going to cycle around a nuclear power station a few times, I don't think anyone has anything to worry.

tinyurl.com can turn...
https://www.cyclechat.net/
into...
http://tinyurl.com/evsnj
or
http://tinyurl.com/CCS-kitbags (you can specify the characters).

As a URL, this will still be clickable in the PDF... although if it's clickable then it doesn't matter (though then why is it in a PDF if it's meant for just online). Just bringing the idea up really.

Noticed another minor thing...
Page 17 - Various paragraphs don't end with punctuation.

Page 14/15 - "Mountain Bikes-" has no space before the Hyphen like the other titles (getting too pedantic for you now?). Though the other titles are not formatted the same. I can see the first part is a quote... but wouldn't it be better to do a write up (with aid of original commenter being an obvious start) of the section rather than a slightly long quote. Would be nice to see the quote for the first few paragraphs, does explain it well, but after...

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
drsquirrel said:
Okay, the Data Protection line can be confused, it makes it seem like that video is controlled by Data Protection, but not restricted. Rather than just not being valid at all.

As for filming of secured buildings etc (this is the foggy part you refer to I assume... which isn't related to DP hence why I am questioning what you mean), it is pretty clear until it until it gets to "which is for the time being declared [F2 by order of a Secretary of State] to be a prohibited place for the purposes of this". Unless you are going to cycle around a nuclear power station a few times, I don't think anyone has anything to worry.

tinyurl.com can turn...
https://www.cyclechat.net/
into...
http://tinyurl.com/evsnj
or
http://tinyurl.com/CCS-kitbags (you can specify the characters).

As a URL, this will still be clickable in the PDF... although if it's clickable then it doesn't matter (though then why is it in a PDF if it's meant for just online). Just bringing the idea up really.

Noticed another minor thing...
Page 17 - Various paragraphs don't end with punctuation.

Page 14/15 - "Mountain Bikes-" has no space before the Hyphen like the other titles (getting too pedantic for you now?). Though the other titles are not formatted the same. I can see the first part is a quote... but wouldn't it be better to do a write up (with aid of original commenter being an obvious start) of the section rather than a slightly long quote. Would be nice to see the quote for the first few paragraphs, does explain it well, but after...

Thanks DrS, I'll ammend the errors on pages 17, 14 and 15.

the Tiny's that you posted fail to launch, so perhaps that puts an end to that suggerstion;). Unless I've misunderstood how they work.

Keep checking for me, I appreciate it

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
drsquirrel said:
Though the other titles are not formatted the same. I can see the first part is a quote... but wouldn't it be better to do a write up (with aid of original commenter being an obvious start) of the section rather than a slightly long quote. Would be nice to see the quote for the first few paragraphs, does explain it well, but after...

I've read this bit a few times and cant work out exactly what you mean.I think it is because our terminology is different (you mention quotes etc).

So, the green texts are quotes taken directly from other contributers and are noted as "comments from..."

the black text is simply copy (as in the publishing term for words) that I have created to wrap around the quotes and provide some form of context.

So which quotes do you mean and how would you prefer them to work?

Thanks

PS I like the idea of shortening the urls, do you know of another way as the tiny site seems a little flakey

jonny jeez said:
the Tiny's that you posted fail to launch, so perhaps that puts an end to that suggerstion;). Unless I've misunderstood how they work.

Keep checking for me, I appreciate it

I never converted any of the link to tinyurls as I was just making the suggestion.

If you go to...
http://tinyurl.com/
Enter your long URL into the first box
Optionally enter the URL you want into the Custom Alias
And then click Make TinyURL!
It should provide you with a URL like http://tinyurl.com/yourcustomalias

tinyurl.com (there are alternative sites too like tiny.cc) is pretty reliable, and is even used by some larger publications like O'Reilly etc.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
drsquirrel said:
I never converted any of the link to tinyurls as I was just making the suggestion.

If you go to...
http://tinyurl.com/
Enter your long URL into the first box
Optionally enter the URL you want into the Custom Alias
And then click Make TinyURL!
It should provide you with a URL like http://tinyurl.com/yourcustomalias

tinyurl.com (there are alternative sites too like tiny.cc) is pretty reliable, and is even used by some larger publications like O'Reilly etc.

I geddit, I'll take a look as you are right they do look cumbersome as they are.

Its a bit like a URL hosting, sort of along the photobucket lines I guess.

thanks

AnotherEye

Jonny, a very big thank you for this (and to all the people who have collaborated). I've just read through revision 6 and will post some suggestions soon.
I want to add that I am really impressed by the good nature of everyone who has posted on this thread; I guess that's a sign of common purpose.
I have been recommending the new cycling guide from the Institute of Advanced Motorists (by John Franklin) and from now on I will be adding this pdf to my recommendations.

Top Bottom