The essential guide for new commuters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Aye, definitely not there. I think you are the only one with permission to see it.

My fault. Shaun left a note on the page to warn us that it was not fully operational...I missed that.

But, I have reports from other members that the download is now working. perhaps you could take one more look for me to check?

ta

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Attachment is now back on the front page (Thanks to Shaun) and ready for download.

enjoy

My fault. Shaun left a note on the page to warn us that it was not fully operational...I missed that.

But, I have reports from other members that the download is now working. perhaps you could take one more look for me to check?

ta

Yes it's there now. :smile:

Do you think it is worth setting a deadline for changes? I still like the idea of taking it viral (and getting people to print some copies off). I'm happy to co-ordinate that. Maybe I can use my good name (ahem!) to help spread the word....

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Yes it's there now. :smile:

Do you think it is worth setting a deadline for changes? I still like the idea of taking it viral (and getting people to print some copies off). I'm happy to co-ordinate that. Maybe I can use my good name (ahem!) to help spread the word....

Not sure a deadline is a good plan, its quite a fluid document and is designed to allow adaptations to riding styles and the "vogue" of current opinion. If we do lock it down, it risks becoming a little historical and somehow not as fresh ( I can imagine local changes to road planning such as the "mega cycle highway" will come into the doc soon).

Besides, being a changing beast may encourage others to revisit and re-read?

what do we think...lock down, or free-wheel?

But, yes please!! I would love to use your efforts and good name to get it "out there"

Not sure a deadline is a good plan, its quite a fluid document and is designed to allow adaptations to riding styles and the "vogue" of current opinion. If we do lock it down, it risks becoming a little historical and somehow not as fresh ( I can imagine local changes to road planning such as the "mega cycle highway" will come into the doc soon).

Besides, being a changing beast may encourage others to revisit and re-read?

what do we think...lock down, or free-wheel?

But, yes please!! I would love to use your efforts and good name to get it "out there"

Aye, I see where you are coming from and I think your right. Keep updating it.

If however, we are going to try a 'print run' then I think we will need one version to work with there. However, within that document there could be a section that has a link here and suggests that the document is fluid and to keep looking in. What do people think? Is it worth me trying for a print run?

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Aye, I see where you are coming from and I think your right. Keep updating it.

If however, we are going to try a 'print run' then I think we will need one version to work with there. However, within that document there could be a section that has a link here and suggests that the document is fluid and to keep looking in. What do people think? Is it worth me trying for a print run?

Now that, Sir...is a good plan.

I am awaiting a little input from another member (who shall remain nameless to relive any social pressure) that may add some additional artwork. But for now, I am pretty happy that the doc is good enough (in gramatical and typo sense) to print and distribute.

Now that, Sir...is a good plan.

I am awaiting a little input from another member (who shall remain nameless to relive any social pressure) that may add some additional artwork. But for now, I am pretty happy that the doc is good enough (in gramatical and typo sense) to print and distribute.

Jolly good. Let me know when you think it is ready and we'll see what we can do. I might even try contacting a couple of media people that I've dealt with in the past to see if they are interested.

Jonny, now might be a good time to get that hair cut....:thumbsup::biggrin:

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Jolly good. Let me know when you think it is ready and we'll see what we can do. I might even try contacting a couple of media people that I've dealt with in the past to see if they are interested.

Jonny, now might be a good time to get that hair cut....:thumbsup::biggrin:

It's ready.

I'm off to the barbers!!

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I've updated the guide a little as it seems that it may be required for more "general release".

I've removed a few slang expressions (references to Origamists tits and Don's peanut) and tried to make it a little more "urban" Its by no way finished but as i am not going to be on the web next week I thought I would pop it up for you all to take an early look at.

It should appear as soon as Shaun has updated the link for me. It is called "revamped draft" (so that you can see if its the new one before you download)

Cheers

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Update,

Sorry, the new "re-vamped" guide is a little too large to fit on the server (what with all the graphics and extra images), I'll need to trim the file size when I return next week...Untill then, you'll have to make do with the old version (version 9)

cheers

John

PBancroft

Um, kinda surprised I didn't see this one earlier, but...

I think the name of the document should be The Beginner's Guide to Commuting (with the apostrophe in Beginner's). This personalises the title for the reader (it is for YOU the beginner, not THEM the beginners).

I'm still not sure about the use of quotation marks for "Cycle-Chat" and "City Cycling Skills" - it de-emphasises and distances the subject because we are not quoting anyone. The "City Cycling Skills" almost reads as if it is being used ironically - e.g., these aren't City Cycling Skills at all, just like "Fresh" Fish isn't really fresh. As before, I'm just being a pedant so make of that what you will.

Hi there,

Newbie here, just read your guide and wanted to say how well i thought it was put together and how useful it is. Stuff in there i took for granted and stuff in there i didnt know so thank you.

Darren

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
I just wizzed through to see how much of it there was, bloody hell, excellent job for pure quantity, i look forward to reading the content
Top 20 tips for those considering a commute through the city.

If you are new to cycling, or have any concerns about riding through a city, then this guide is perfect for you.

The attached PDF is a compilation of ideas and thoughts from the members of the Cycle Chat community, to help keep you prepared and safe.

It will be regularly updated to accommodate changes in topic and riding practice.

Just download the attached PDF (bottom left) and you are good to go.

Good Luck

Jonny

PS, To all the C.C forum’ers

Please offer feedback on any or all content, I’m not proud and will do my best to accommodate your comments on the updated versions.

Thanks to all those who supplied me with their thoughts and advice, I hope the finished product is worthy of your efforts.

I've made some slight adjustments to typos this morning.

Top Bottom