England : Berkshire The Exurbia Boozer ride ..... protoplan thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
What time meeting up in Reading? There's engineering work on lines in the Portsmouth area on that weekend (Saturday as well, worse luck) so getting there before about 9.30 is impossible.

Wobblers

Euthermic
I think, Stu, that given the paucity of open hostelries at 9:30 on a Sunday morning, your inability to get there at such time will not pose too much of a problem.

For some unfathomable reason, most days seem to feature on my complex hair care schedule. I endeavour not to let it interfere with my BEER consuming appreciating activities. I'm always happy to give tips, @User. Though getting down there may be tricky from Liverpool. On the other hand... the start's not too far from High Wycombe, which makes going via Birmingham a not too complicated possibility. This requires some thought...

sbird

Über Member
I've come late to this thread but, ahem, as this is my manor indulge me in contributing a few ideas?

For those that know Reading better than I, can we start North of the train tracks?

Yes you can and better than the south side for a departure north into the Chilterns.

I'd consider a Saturday as you are less likely to incur engineering works affecting trains (Sundays are worst) and you're going to avoid the Sunday lunchtime eaters in quite a few of the pubs you've got on the candidate list.

Some of these pubs we visit on our Sunday daytime and Wednesday evening-time rides (http://www.readingctc.co.uk/rides/?ridetype=ON&past=on&from=2015-11-01&to=2016-11-22) but not all of them.

I'd suggest giving the Crooked Billet in Stoke Row a miss as it's really a restaurant and not great for just a drink or two. Little known fact, local actor Kate Winslet had her second wedding meal there. The Frog in Skirmett is also a restaurant masquerading as a pub.

You should also consider visiting
  • The Prince Albert in Frieth (http://www.theprincealbert-pub.co.uk/menu.htm) for the homemade pork pies (made in small batches so go quickly)
  • The Black Horse in Checkendon for the "my goodness they don't make them like this anymore" factor; the outside lavvies are a particular draw.
And perhaps end up in one or two pubs in Reading at the end of the ride? Nag's Head in Russell Street is beer-drinkers heaven and the Fox & Hounds on Gosbrook Road (on the Caversham side of the Thames) has plenty of good beer (and a late license on Saturday, another little known fact, the Beatles played there once). Both in wobbling distance for the station.

StuAff

I've come late to this thread but, ahem, as this is my manor indulge me in contributing a few ideas?

Yes you can and better than the south side for a departure north into the Chilterns.

I'd consider a Saturday as you are less likely to incur engineering works affecting trains (Sundays are worst) and you're going to avoid the Sunday lunchtime eaters in quite a few of the pubs you've got on the candidate list.

Some of these pubs we visit on our Sunday daytime and Wednesday evening-time rides (http://www.readingctc.co.uk/rides/?ridetype=ON&past=on&from=2015-11-01&to=2016-11-22) but not all of them.

I'd suggest giving the Crooked Billet in Stoke Row a miss as it's really a restaurant and not great for just a drink or two. Little known fact, local actor Kate Winslet had her second wedding meal there. The Frog in Skirmett is also a restaurant masquerading as a pub.

You should also consider visiting
  • The Prince Albert in Frieth (http://www.theprincealbert-pub.co.uk/menu.htm) for the homemade pork pies (made in small batches so go quickly)
  • The Black Horse in Checkendon for the "my goodness they don't make them like this anymore" factor; the outside lavvies are a particular draw.
And perhaps end up in one or two pubs in Reading at the end of the ride? Nag's Head in Russell Street is beer-drinkers heaven and the Fox & Hounds on Gosbrook Road (on the Caversham side of the Thames) has plenty of good beer (and a late license on Saturday, another little known fact, the Beatles played there once). Both in wobbling distance for the station.
Good stuff. Are you running any night rides next year, btw?

StuAff

Hi Stu
Maybw, depends on personal circumstances. Next year is a foreign country, but I hope so. :-)
Good to know. Question was actually for Simon B, didn't make that clear I think ;)

Diggs

Veteran
Keeps an eye on thread although if Saturday currently clashes with England France.....I suspect we may not be finished in time for me to dash to Twickenham.
I was already googling accommodation too :sad:
Sunday would mean getting home that day though

@User @Pikey @Hill Wimp @Claudine @Flying Dodo @robjh @srw @User21629 @Milkfloat @StuAff @hopless500 @Donger @Pale Rider @Salty seadog @User13710 @slowmotion @Nigel182 @martint235 @T4tomo @McWobble

Wot about .... Sunday 5th Feb? This assumes that a Sunday is better than a Saturday???? Aaaaand, the 5th is my 54th Birthday?
If this date seems a good start I will officially make it so and start a new Thread!
Possibly a goer if I can get a smidge of cycling in over Christmas and January. Close to my birthday too :okay:
What's the most recent planned mileage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom