The fallacy of "servicing" a bicycle.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I posted this in a thread on Technical Know How but I think the point is so important that I'm re-posting it here as a new thread, with a couple of edits:

The idea of doing a "service" on a bike is misguided; it's not a modern car where you only need to change oils and filters and not much else. A bicycle is a collection of delicate lightweight systems that need to be tweaked and kept in adjustment to get the best from them and the only way to do that is to learn to do it yourself.

I despair when I see people posting that their bike "has just been serviced " and they expect it to be running perfectly. You will only know when a something needs attention if you are attuned to the sound and feel of it or you take the time to inspect it carefully; which you can't expect a mechanic in a bike shop to do when he's under pressure and being distracted by colleagues, customers, loud music and his mobile phone. Read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance if you want to understand more about quality work and the futility of handing your precious machine to a so-called "professional".

Bike "servicing" is a dirty, boring, tiring, tedious job that makes no profit no matter how much the shop charges. Speaking as a bike fettler who has tried, briefly, to make a living from servicing bikes, there's nothing more depressing or demotivating than receiving a bike in a filthy or neglected condition from a customer who expects you to wave a magic wand and make it like new again, especially when you know that your efforts won't be appreciated and they will continue to abuse and neglect the bike.

The simplest and cheapest answer is to buy some tools and learn to do your own maintenance. That way, when the bike breaks out on the road, you've a better chance of fixing it yourself.

Not all bike mechanics are muppets; I know a couple of excellent mechanics at my LBSs who certainly know more than me but I would not expect them to be able to perform routine maintenance or adjustments, which is the rider's job.

swansonj

Guru
. A bicycle is a collection of delicate lightweight systems that need to be tweaked and kept in adjustment to get the best from it.
Not a description I find readily applies to my bike ^_^

Seriously, I may happen to share your philosophy for myself, but if we try to proselytise others to that view, aren't we doing the same exclusive, offensive and ultimately counterproductive thing that cyclists do all the time - say that you can only be a "real" cyclist if your way of cycling is the same as mine?

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Did you try asking the shop staff to show you how to do the adjustment? I'm sure they are as irked as you by this kind of problem and would be only too happy to show you.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Whilst in some ways I agree, I can see that getting is not for everybody.
I do all the rudimentary maintenance myself on the home fleet, but jobs such as modern bottom bracket replace not I don't do often because I lack the specific tools. (Cup and cones on old Squate taper I can do as I have tools for that).
I do cup and cone wheel bearings but not sealed types.
I don't fix wheels.
I don't do ahead sets.
But everything else I do on a need-too basis.
I could learn to do more, I could learn to fix the car too, but am not interested nor do I have the time.

So I can see why it's easy to take a bike to the shop, have cables adjusted, chains replaced, headsets and bearings lubed and adjusted and the bike come out feeling better than it went in.
Like my car, I just want to drive the chuffing thing, I have no interest in how it works.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
"There are some things I do myself and some that I prefer the shop to do. Therefore I tend to put the bikes in the shop once a year for a full service, and keep it fettled myself in the meantime."

But what do they do at the "full service" that you can't?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
"There are some things I do myself and some that I prefer the shop to do. Therefore I tend to put the bikes in the shop once a year for a full service, and keep it fettled myself in the meantime."

But what do they do at the "full service" that you can't?
In my case very little, but for others for whom cycling is simply a means of transport rather than a hobby or minor interest then the answer might be everything.
Not all people are interests or hugely capable of fixing things.

Lemond

Did you try asking the shop staff to show you how to do the adjustment? I'm sure they are as irked as you by this kind of problem and would be only too happy to show you.

He wasn't irked at all. He was perfectly happy to do the work, gave my bike a thorough going over, and charged what I thought to be a very reasonable price. I'm one very happy customer, go out of my way to visit his shop and have recommended him to all of my friends.

Each to their own but I kind of disagree. I am useless at fettling, I get cross and frustrated at anything more arduous than changing an inner and even that takes eleventy-twelve swear words, a barked knuckle and a kicked cat, I would much rather hand the whole gubbins over to a man in greasy overalls who knows what he's doing. Jesus said, I think correctly, put your light under the bushel and remember the parable of the talents where there's this bloke who does something or other, I forget the details. Anyway. Wise words.

Mile195

Veteran
I do all my servicing myself. But some people just don't want to though which is fair enough really.

I have a friend that loves to ride motorbikes and bicycles but he has absolutely no interest in working on them, and despite being very intelligent academically, he's useless with anything more mechanical than a pencil sharpener. He'd much rather pay someone else do it. He won't even lube his own motorbike chain - gets me or his father to do it.

In fact I tried to get him to learn how to fix a puncture once. He said he'd rather call a taxi and get them to take him and the bike to a bike shop (after I told him that no - the AA definitely WILL NOT come out and fix a pushbike).

So I agree with the OP in that anyone who wants to should learn, but while remembering that actually, not everyone wants to learn which is a personal choice.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I am not a serious cyclist. I go out when I feel like it. If I don't then my bike is left in my car or the garage. I don't really know how it works and to be honest I don't care either, and I don't care if people like that attitude or not. I dont know or care how my car works either. If it breaks or needs a service, I take it to the garage.

you know the saying, why buy a dog and bark yourself. I am quite happy to pay someone else to do the dirty work and if I'm happy with that that's all that matters. As some have said, each to they're own. If you like tinkering and fettling for hours getting grease up to your elbows then fine. I don't. I'll leave it to others to put right.:thumbsup: I just want to ride my bike When i feel like it.

byegad

Legendary Member
I agree whole-heartedly with the OP. A 'service' can range from checking cables condition, adjustment of gears and brakes and pumping up the tyres to completely stripping the bike to basic components, replacing worn items, truing wheels and repacking all bearings. You can guess what your £30 at the LBS buys.

I check the trikes every now and then fix anything I find. Periodically I check the chain with a go/no go gauge and re-lube or replace it as necessary. All of this depends on the amount of use the trike gets, one sits for months between rides, another weeks at most and the other is ridden several times a week, so they get different amounts of attention over the year.

Top Bottom