The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

solitaire

Über Member
When I watched MOTD I'm sure Swansea had a mummy playing for them, or was it just someone with full leg length socks to go with the all white kit?

Cracking goal from Carroll, hoping he wouldn't be fit for the replay on Tuesday, quite a handful and our defence is poor at dealing with balls into the box, which is why Collins scored last week.
Yeah that Swansea geezer, what was all that about?
I thought he had a one-sie on
Carroll we be a big help to us tuesday.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
'No shots on target' Oh dear indeed.
Is there anyone (apart from their fans) who doesn't find find them being beaten at home amusing?

Southampton defence looked rock solid. Cagey game both sides.

Bit odd LVG throwing Fellani on to hoof the long ball up to him - exactly what LVG criticised David Moyes for if my memory serves me well.

Di Maria seemed badly over-priced on purchase and is looking more so now.

Re: amusing. Everyone finds it amusing when 'big' teams, lose home or away - I have no doubt that most of the footballing world was laughing their cotton socks off when Spuds beat us 5-3 a week or so back. It's just the way it is.

SpokeyDokey

I stopped going when we were promoted to the PL, partly as guy I was going with had started a degree and couldn't afford it, partly as my job would have meant me missing lots of games as well. BTW kick off should be at 3:00pm on Saturdays, as football god intended, non of this late Sunday afternoon , Monday and whenever else nonsense. Less games for the inflated ticket price over Championship one too.
There are a few times I've wished I was there, but mostly I'm not too bothered.

One thing I don't really get is choosing your club. It chooses you, it calls to you. Be it from that it is your local club, your home town club (if you've moved away), some sort of family tie. I've seen people wearing 'half and half' scarves. Half Hull, half Man Utd (or whoever) :wacko: Now that is something I really don't understand, there seems to be a cadre of 'glory' supporters turning up not to watch their local team, but to watch the opposition. In a way I like what Hull owners have done with that, make them pay, REALLY pay to watch the 'big' clubs when they visit. Man City was £50, Crystal Palace £16.

They're friendship scarves - doesn't mean you support both teams.

Sorry if you know this and I misread your intent.

SpokeyDokey

As the old saying goes, if you don't go out in the rain, you can't appreciate the sunshine. Problem is for many clubs it rains most of the time, but those occasional sunny days make it all worth it. Actually, while I have often said that and complained about Johnny come lately fans of the moneyed elite just wanting sunshine all the time, there is another way of looking at it. I used to work with a Tranmere Rovers fan who told me that during their run of great cup results about 15 years ago, he had as much enjoyment from watching them as any Liverpool fan did during their heyday in the 70s and 80s. They beat Leeds, Bolton and Everton, and a few other big teams, in some memorable games and he equated each one as relatively significant and enjoyable to them as when the LFC won the European Cup or Man Utd won their first Prem title. I suppose it's the same when teams get promoted from the Conference into League 2, or from the Championship into the Prem; what an achievement that will be if Bournemouth pull it off this year. Those moments may not figure large in the minds of most but for those fans I am sure they will feel the same exlosion of feeling fantastic as your average City fan did when Aguero netted in the last minute v QPR in 2012.

Whereas one of the jibes the reds aim at us blues is that we haven't won a trophy for nearly 20 years, very few teams have; in fact most teams have never won a major trophy so following their logic we would all follow the 3 or 4 clubs who now have the finance to buy success, with a steady shift now to Man City....end of rant 1!

I cannot understand anyone who jumps on the glory bandwagon to follow the elite (media darling) clubs. As a bitter blue (Evertonian) I don't have a problem with locally born reds or the LFC supporting children of locally born reds who might have left Merseyside for various reasons, but walk round Liverpool City Centre on the evening before, the morning before or the few hours after a game at the tin mine and it is crawling with Cornish, Irish, Dutch, Norwegian, home counties reds. It is ironic that the tourists stand out a mile, they are the ones with the red shirts and scarves....end of rant 2!

Are you saying that all supporters must either be born locally or directly descended from someone who was?

They're friendship scarves - doesn't mean you support both teams.

Sorry if you know this and I misread your intent.

I don't like them scarves, I could never wear another teams name round my neck.
^ This^.
I also suspect in some cases it does mean they support both teams, a top end PL team and a local team that was never going to make it into the PL. Except they did.
And it does only seem to be the top end teams, event to the extent of wearing away side shirts in home end, I've seen it with a LFC shirt. Doubt it would happen with an Aston Villa shirt.
I can completely understand it, the desire to follow a team that may be even getting into Europe and also the local club, more achievable thing for actually going and watching them. I have a passing interest in North Ferriby United, wish them well and one of Hulls pre-season games is against them and they have a good relationship, but I wouldn't wear a 'friendship' scarf with both Clubs on it.
When it comes to a head to head nail your colours to the mast.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I don't like them scarves, I could never wear another teams name round my neck.

That would have been the dilemma facing me if we'd have played Man Utd in the cup. The bloke who does all the merchandising was going to produce a scarf with both teams names on with a commemorative date. Could i have worn a half Manc scarf round my neck is the question. Anyway it's hypothetical, but looking back at the tickets they sold for the match that never was i bet he wishes he'd made some then he could've done the same as the club did and sold them as a souvenir of the match that never happened!:smile:

RedRider

Pulling through
I'm about done with Killie so I'm holding open auditions for a new side to support. Current front runners are Norwich and Colchester, but I'm open to any suggestions from the football fans of the CC Collective.

My loyalties may well have returned tomorrow, but I'm not sure. We have been so shite for so long I'm not sure I can bear it any more. Poking myself in the eye with a fork would be preferable to watching the efforts we put out these days.
You could do a lot worse than Dulwich Hamlet. A few divisions below the mighty Accrington Stanley but these last five years with the pink and blues have been a ball as this article from gay mag Vice.com hints at . .
"London's left-wing utopian non-league ultras are reclaiming football"
Since the promotion acouple of years ago the results even make the vidiprinter.
don't even think of wearing a half and half scarf tho

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Are you saying that all supporters must either be born locally or directly descended from someone who was?
I am saying that I cannot understand how anyone can just choose to support a club because it is successful, or continually plugged by the media. Obviously people can do so if they wish, but for me to support a team from a place you do not know or have no connection with seems strange and I would never feel I was genuinely "part of it".

In my opinion someone who comes from a place such as Gillingham (first random place with a well established but traditionally trophyless football team that entered my head), or its environs, who chooses to support a bigger club from elsewhere on the basis that that club is far more likely to win trophies than their local team, is turning their back on their local community and displaying a shallowness that would embarrass me amongst my peers.

Not that I automatically dislike such people, a few weeks ago I was out with a few mates in Liverpool (having just watched Everton get tonked at Southampton) when we got talking to a Dutch bloke from Amsterdam who had come over with some friends for the Liverpool game the following day. What a smashing bloke he was, we had a great laugh with him, took the p*** as he did also and shook hands as we left and wished him all the worst for the game. Despite all his good qualities, he still had a serious flaw - shallow gloryhunter who should have stayed at home with Ajax.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The people I don't like are the ones who'll say something like, "I used to support Liverpool but now they're crap so I support Manchester United". Ask them to find either city on the map and they'll start looking south of the Thames.

That reminds me of a bloke on my round. He's from London so he "supported" Arsenal the other year. Then when their trophies dried up he took his mini Arsenal kit out of his car rear screen and replaced it with a "Chelsea's number one fan" mini kit!:rolleyes:

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
There used to be a lad who went to the same gym as me and wore the kits of various teams, I actually saw him once wearing a Liverpool shirt with Everton shorts and Liverpool socks, on another occasion I saw him wearing a Man City shirt with Liverpool shorts.....I don't think he had any allegiance to anyone, he was just a bit odd. Reminds me of that saying, "I used to be indecisive but now I am not so sure".

AndyRM

XOXO
There used to be a lad who went to the same gym as me and wore the kits of various teams, I actually saw him once wearing a Liverpool shirt with Everton shorts and Liverpool socks, on another occasion I saw him wearing a Man City shirt with Liverpool shorts.....I don't think he had any allegiance to anyone, he was just a bit odd. Reminds me of that saying, "I used to be indecisive but now I am not so sure".

That's just odd, although I do have a variety of strips purely because I like the design or have a weird soft spot for the side.

Algeria - Camus is my favourite author.

Croatia - Anyone who decides a table cloth is a good idea for a strip is pleasingly mental.

Juventus (the white away one with an Italian zig zag flag) - Del Piero remains the greatest footballer I have ever seen, plus it's a belter of a top and says 'Forza Juve' on the inside of the crest.

Mamelodi Sundowns - Proved that you can do a yellow on yellow kit properly, unlike Newcastle a couple of seasons ago.

I almost bought that grey England top from a while back too, but couldn't bring myself to in the end. Shame really as it's a genuinely wonderful top.

Top Bottom