The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
I am still (at 53) playing in a 5-a-side with my youngest son, we have been using Rayo Vallecano's classic bumble bee kit or a few years but next season we have a belter, the defunct CF Benidorm. :smile:

Benidorm.jpg

Cannot imagine how boring it must be to follow a team who play in red or blue, "the blues", "the reds", groan! Like every Bradford fan we think our shirt is the best ever seen and I am disappointed to see it at only number 6 in the 40 coolest shirts of all time. :sad: You feel an affinity with other oddball teams, who I always like to see do well, Plymouth, Bristol Rovers, Blackburn, Yeovil, Partick etc

This seasons with the traditional black shorts and socks is classic Bradford. :thumbsup:
Filipe+Morais+MK+Dons+v+Bradford+City+1UHfDGTA-M7l.jpg

I like stripes and have penchant for red & white ones but only if they are paired with light blue shorts like Athletico and Gijon.
Prediksi-Sporting-Gijon-vs-Ponferradina-1-September-2014-Segunda-Division.jpg

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
That's a belter. Toffs stuff is quality, but far too heavy to play in, which is a shame.

Yes they aren't the most comfy of footy shirts but that's what they wore all those years ago. I have this one http://www.toffs.com/juventus-1960-1961-retro-football-shirt-6 alongside a couple of Accrington and Blackburn ones.The Juventus shirt is made of a hard cotton and no matter how much fabric conditioner you use it still feels like sackcloth. I wouldn't have liked to have worn one on a hot day in Turin!

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
This is one of my favourite retro shirts.http://www.toffs.com/crystal-palace-1969-1971-retro-football-shirt I first saw it in 1970 and have always thought it looked smart. Yes i'd like it but i'd have to sell some old shirts to justify buying it. One day maybe.

I used to love those Palace kits, I remember in August 1969, as a 9 year old kid, I was taken to Goodison to see Everton play Palace (we won 2-1 and went on to win the league) and I loved their kit. I also remember reading Shoot magazine and there was a picture of one of their players (Steve Kember, I think) during a game wearing his Palace kit and a pair of baseball boots because the pitch was frozen and studs wouldn't sink into the ground....I was amazed.

I also remember the white one with the red and blue diagonal flash...in 1972 or 73 my rednose uncle took me to Anfield to see Liverpool play Palace, we stood on the Kop (forgive me father) and Alan Whittle, who had been one of my heroes from our title winners a couple of years before, was playing for Palace. As a scouser who had played for Everton a year or so before, Whittle was getting loads of stick from the Kop and at one point when they were singing some abusive song to him, I remember him standing in front of them, wearing that white shirt with its diagonal sash, waving his hand to mimic a conductor leading his orchestra to which he got a few ironic cheers...I cannot remember any other bit of play from that game, although I remember being disappointed as Liverpool won.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I am saying that I cannot understand how anyone can just choose to support a club because it is successful, or continually plugged by the media. Obviously people can do so if they wish, but for me to support a team from a place you do not know or have no connection with seems strange and I would never feel I was genuinely "part of it".

In my opinion someone who comes from a place such as Gillingham (first random place with a well established but traditionally trophyless football team that entered my head), or its environs, who chooses to support a bigger club from elsewhere on the basis that that club is far more likely to win trophies than their local team, is turning their back on their local community and displaying a shallowness that would embarrass me amongst my peers.

Not that I automatically dislike such people, a few weeks ago I was out with a few mates in Liverpool (having just watched Everton get tonked at Southampton) when we got talking to a Dutch bloke from Amsterdam who had come over with some friends for the Liverpool game the following day. What a smashing bloke he was, we had a great laugh with him, took the p*** as he did also and shook hands as we left and wished him all the worst for the game. Despite all his good qualities, he still had a serious flaw - shallow gloryhunter who should have stayed at home with Ajax.

Fair do's.

I never really got into football until my early 20's (about 1976) - my brother supported Spurs. To irritate him I started to follow Chelsea and I got hooked. :laugh:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I have a training shoe signed by an ex England international. When i was in hospital 7 years ago Bryan Douglas who played for Blackburn and England http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.u..._Cup__Bryan_Douglas__England__1958_and_1962_/ was a regular visitor as his wife was on the same ward. I was sat there one day wearing an Accy Stanley top when he came over and started talking about football. I said i knew who he was but he was very modest and asked me more about my health than talked about himself. When i asked him about his career he talked about the 1962 world cup in Chile and how the players were homed in campsite chalets and how some drunk the night before a match. Jimmy Greaves got a mention!:smile: Anyway one day i wore my Chile 62 Adidas trainers so he signed one of the white stripes for me! I said to one of the male nurses that he'd played for England 36 times and scored at Hampden in front of 145,000 folk, as well as scoring against Brazil. The nurse just said oh! never heard of him. Ah well!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO

Criticising a Jorge Campos top is completely unacceptable. Though I'd expect nothing less from Talk Sport, whose opinions on football are about as valid as those held by my cats.

solitaire

Über Member
I wish West Ham would go back to their iconic 1960's kit and dump the crap they wear now.

View attachment 76741
I totally agree with that 100% that was the first shirt I had.
I hate It when we have someone new at work and you ask them If their into football and they say "I used to be but they earn to much money now, so I don't really follow It anymore" WHAT??? WHAT??? WHAT???
I'm talking about the game of football, I'm not asking you If you think what a premier league player earns is a decent fair wage, what I said was "do you like football", now answer the bloody question! I don't want a debate about how It's just big business now etc etc

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Everton replay tonight :sweat:

Dear God
Please can you let us beat Everton just once and If you could make it tonight that would be perfect
Thank you in advance

View attachment 76778
Dear Lord, ignore his prayer and don't grant his request, he still won't go to church on Sunday so please let the Toffees maintain that jinx over the Hammers.

U

User169

Yes they aren't the most comfy of footy shirts but that's what they wore all those years ago. I have this one http://www.toffs.com/juventus-1960-1961-retro-football-shirt-6 alongside a couple of Accrington and Blackburn ones.The Juventus shirt is made of a hard cotton and no matter how much fabric conditioner you use it still feels like sackcloth. I wouldn't have liked to have worn one on a hot day in Turin!

As worn by the greatest British player..

John Charles.jpg

Top Bottom