The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
94th minute winner for Hibs, Rangers defeated. Big game on 28th at Ibrox. I predict it will all be downhill for Rangers from now on.

And Motherwell gave Celtic a kicking at Celtic Park 1-2.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
94th minute winner for Hibs, Rangers defeated. Big game on 28th at Ibrox. I predict it will all be downhill for Rangers from now on.

Very happy chappy tonight ^_^ Our first ever victory over that mob.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
But he doesn't have to: as someone else pointed out uphtrea, the cost to him of running Chelsea is pocket change. Given the club's success during his tenure, there's an argument that his "hiring and firing" policy is the right one. I don't care for it, but they have a trophy cabinet that says I'm wrong.
It's not pocket change. The purchase price and the interest-free loans made to the club by his holding company make that spending over £1bn. He's spent at least double that since taking charge. Indeed, he doesn't have to run it like a business. Maybe he doesn't actually care about turning a profit, unlike most of his rivals. My point is, that if he stopped treating the club as a plaything and started running it in a more sustainable and profitable manner, he might see the results on the pitch become more consistent too. The clubs in Manchester, Arsenal, Liverpool (despite the burdens of the Hicks/Gillett fiasco) have all invested in larger and/or new stadia, with Tottenham following suit, while schemes to replace or upgrade Stamford Bridge have come and gone. There may be an academy structure but none of its graduates ever seem to make the jump to the first team squad. Sheik Mansour, on the other hand, is able to spend more on replenishing the squad, plus expanding the Etihad to 60,000 capacity, new training ground, new academy facilities. If Roman tries to compete with that he'll just burn more cash. The Glazers loaded Man Utd with debt, but they're still making more in commercial revenue than the entire turnover of most of the PL. FSG are expanding Anfield, have Academy graduates playing for the first team....Roman is clearly in for the long term, but so are the opposition- and they've used their time better.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
It's not pocket change. The purchase price and the interest-free loans made to the club by his holding company make that spending over £1bn. He's spent at least double that since taking charge. Indeed, he doesn't have to run it like a business. Maybe he doesn't actually care about turning a profit, unlike most of his rivals. My point is, that if he stopped treating the club as a plaything and started running it in a more sustainable and profitable manner, he might see the results on the pitch become more consistent too. The clubs in Manchester, Arsenal, Liverpool (despite the burdens of the Hicks/Gillett fiasco) have all invested in larger and/or new stadia, with Tottenham following suit, while schemes to replace or upgrade Stamford Bridge have come and gone. There may be an academy structure but none of its graduates ever seem to make the jump to the first team squad. Sheik Mansour, on the other hand, is able to spend more on replenishing the squad, plus expanding the Etihad to 60,000 capacity, new training ground, new academy facilities. If Roman tries to compete with that he'll just burn more cash. The Glazers loaded Man Utd with debt, but they're still making more in commercial revenue than the entire turnover of most of the PL. FSG are expanding Anfield, have Academy graduates playing for the first team....Roman is clearly in for the long term, but so are the opposition- and they've used their time better.

Why do you say that results on the pitch will become more consistent if he stops treating the club as a plaything? Excepting the crap EPL results (CL is fine) of the last 4 months can you seriously call Chelsea's on pitch results inconsistent in the Abramovich era?

Trophies won:

1 x Champions League

1 x Europa League

4 x Premier League

4 x FA cup

3 x League Cup

2 x Community Shield

Consistently ranked in top 5 (sometimes 3) in EUEFA coefficients.

Position in EPL since 2003/4 to 2014/15:

2 - 1 - 1 - 2 - 2 - 3 - 1 - 2 - 6 - 3 - 3 - 1

Now, as a CFC fan I am biased of course, but even someone with a total objectivity by-pass could hardly say that Chelsea's on pitch performance is inconsistent in the RA era.

Last edited:

StuAff

Why do you say that results on the pitch will become more consistent if he stops treating the club as a plaything? Excepting the crap EPL results (CL is fine) of the last 4 months can you seriously call Chelsea's on pitch results inconsistent in the Abramovich era?

Trophies won:

1 x Champions League

1 x Europa League

4 x Premier League

4 x FA cup

3 x League Cup

1 x Community Shield

Consistently ranked in top 5 (sometimes 3) in EUEFA coefficients.

Position in EPL since 2003/4 to 2014/15:

2 - 1 - 1 - 2 - 2 - 3 - 1 - 2 - 6 - 3 - 3 - 1

Now, as a CFC fan I am biased of course, but even someone with a total objectivity by-pass could hardly say that Chelsea's on pitch performance is inconsistent in the RA era.
Good point. You're quite right, most people and most clubs would be very happy with that little lot. But the man with the extremely large yet thinning wallet clearly keeps seeing a problem even when there isn't one. De Matteo got sacked the season after lifting the European Cup (as it should still be called, even the Americans don't have the National Football League Trophy) when they were third in the table. Ancelotti was the same, after the terrible, terrible failure of a season in which they finished second. They might have won even more if he stopped mucking about.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Good point. You're quite right, most people and most clubs would be very happy with that little lot. But the man with the extremely large yet thinning wallet clearly keeps seeing a problem even when there isn't one. De Matteo got sacked the season after lifting the European Cup (as it should still be called, even the Americans don't have the National Football League Trophy) when they were third in the table. Ancelotti was the same, after the terrible, terrible failure of a season in which they finished second. They might have won even more if he stopped mucking about.

I wouldn't accuse RA of mucking about.

As I have already posted we change managers regularly but no more than the other top 5 ranked teams in Europe. Nature of the beast and not a specific RA issue.

I'd rather have the churn and success any day than the misery of the last decade or so of eg Gooner stability. And I bet they would too!

Manager turnover:

Including the incumbent at the turn of the millennium as well as the current:

Athletico Madrid x 16

Chelsea x 13 (JM twice).

Real Madrid x 13

Barcelona x 11

Bayern Munich x 9

That's the top 5 teams as ranked by by EUEFA based on their last 5 years performance in Europe.

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/index.html

StuAff

I wouldn't accuse RA of mucking about.

As I have already posted we change managers regularly but no more than the other top 5 ranked teams in Europe. Nature of the beast and not a specific RA issue.

I'd rather have the churn and success any day than the misery of the last decade or so of eg Gooner stability. And I bet they would too!

Manager turnover:

Including the incumbent at the turn of the millennium as well as the current:

Athletico Madrid x 16

Chelsea x 13 (JM twice).

Real Madrid x 13

Barcelona x 11

Bayern Munich x 9

That's the top 5 teams as ranked by by EUEFA based on their last 5 years performance in Europe.

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/index.html
Sobering reading. Would point out that this list includes retirements, managerial transfers (as opposed to sackings), and the sad death of Tito Vilanova.

Top Bottom