FNRttC The Fridays Tour 2016

For which Fridays Tour in 2016 would you sign up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
It's the business model of Inntravel and other walking/cycling for softies companies. I suspect the economics will depend on the economics of the taxi firms - I know that rural France is very expensive, and having seen the meter on a Spanish taxi taking us to the start of an Inntravel holiday last year (which had waited for an hour as our flight was late - fortunately we were on a fixed price deal), so is Spain!

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
http://www.taxifarefinder.com/main....+France&toCoord=45.623027,-1.0431820000000016

I don't know how reliable that site is, but it suggests that the last day of last summer's Fridays tour (in reverse) would cost between €213 and €314, which even between 8 people is between €30 and €40 each. Which, IIRC, was a target price for a night's accommodation for many. Over a week that's probably an extra £150 - £200, which is quite expensive.

OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Am now in Zaandam after some superb days riding with a strong wind. The Dutch are, as always, kind, polite, friendly and courteous. My chums are living the Netherlands and its great to go back to the vrienden op de fiets hostswho were universally friendly and lovely. Tomoz I go north of Amsterdam to see if it might be a suitable candidate for the 2017 Tour.

Gordon P

There's no Calvados? I'll have a beer or a whisky
Google maps shows a causeway north from Marken that just stops halfway to Volendam. What is that for?
I don't know. There is a ferry from Marken to Vollendam. It is marked immediately to the west of the causeway so maybe it offers some protection? But it is all rather strange country as it was the Zuider Zee, proper North Sea, until they built the dams (with cycle paths) & turned it into an inland sea. So the coastal places I named were once all fishing villages.

OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
A ferry. Operated by me. Fun.

Attachments

• 20151113_134428.jpg
    20151113_134428.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 69
OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Am back. Was fun.
The final day from Zaandam to the Hoek was unlike the Tour: the wind was against us and had an intensity that can only be described as Patagonian, and the rain combined with the wind and the darkness for the final section made the experience one that can be described only as "grim". It'll be many years before I forget the sheer joy of pedalling at 7kph into a wind while being blasted with sand from the beach.
But for a short winter trip it was good: having a pre-planned route you know with coffee stops and restaurants at convenient distances saved a lot of time, and had we lost time looking for such things we'd had done a lot more riding in the dark, the days would have been longer and more tiring.
I learnt a lot: one thing I learnt is that 10 roses costs €3.50 over there: a fraction of the price in the UK. Flowers for both markets are grown in Kenya and flown into Amsterdam and sold on the market there. UK flowers are shipped in by lorry. I bought flowers for the Vrienden op de Fiets hosts with whom we stayed, they liked that.

Gordon P

There's no Calvados? I'll have a beer or a whisky
Any particular time?
A man at my time of life avoids deadlines, especially self imposed ones. So no.....
Having said that, expect the new thread and the FB post - for which I have responsibility - by mid-morning. By then you will have known all there is to know for a couple of hours so will have had plenty of time to hone your comments

OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
@StuartG I reckon you're safe. I'm also signing up to it immediately and will be putting it in the calendar as an unbreakable commitment around which everything else in my life and many others will turn. But then again, I know where and when. My lips are sealed. All I can safely say is you're going to like it. A lot.

Top Bottom