The Fridays Tour de Normandie 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
When I was young I remember going to Europe on the boat train from Victoria, to Newhaven and Dieppe and then on southwards by train.

I have a vague feeling it was the trip when we went on to Tuebingen in Southern Germany, only because I think I remember seeing Cologne cathedral from the train.

I think the Avenue Verte out of Dieppe follows what was originally the main line between London and Paris, and which was closed in the French equivalent of the Beeching cuts.
to an extent. The last few miles in to town have been wiped out, and the AV turns in to a Sustrans-stylee mess.

I'm old enough to remember arriving in Dieppe and walking down the gangplank and across railway lines to a train in the early hours of the morning. But, then again, I once caught a train from Boulogne to Florence.......

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
To be fair, most big ferry ports (at least those either side of the Channel) have somewhat unlovely surroundings. That one a short distance from this sofa, Dover, Calais, Dunkerque, Cherbourg...all have industrial/other ugly stuff around them. Lymington-Yarmouth, on the other hand....

We have booked:
Friday - Ibis Budget Cherbourg La Glacerie
Saturday - La Castel Guesthouse
Sunday - Les Charmettes
Monday - Egg Hotel

Friday and Monday, it'll be great to be staying where others will be.
For Sat & Sun, our #1 priority was to minimise walking distances to/from the evening and morning meeting points! #grumpyknees

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
Rachel S and I are staying in Inter Hotel de la Plage

Better watch your words (and actions...). From Wikipedia:

Interhotel was an East German chain of luxury hotels. It was founded in 1965 as a chain.
(...)
The Interhotel hotels were under the control of the East German state security service, the Stasi, under the Tourist Department. The Stasi tried to monitor the activities of international tourists, by sending prostitutes to audio- and video-controlled hotel rooms.

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
All booked. I have twin rooms on the Sat. and Sun. (Bayeux and Honfleur) if anyone's still looking.
But I do snore.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Google Maps does give you the elevation data, though like alternatives accuracy of the figures is debatable.

Top Bottom