The Fridays Tour de Normandie 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Ladies and gentlemen, it appears that my presence is no longer welcome on the tour. Following my prang in Ostend, Simon emailed me on Tuesday to say 'If you've been in the care of a neurologist you're going to have to get a medical all-clear to come on the Tour'. Suffice to say, I disagreed, and felt an medical all-clear was exactly what I had. It's now been a week since I crashed, and I have exhibited no symptoms whatsoever of anything worse (had the scans in Ostend somehow missed something....which they hadn't). After rest, as advised by the aforementioned neurologist, playing close attention to anything amiss, and seeking further advice from two of the health professionals in the CycleChat community, I returned to work & have completed two shifts and commutes (on a rather faster bike....) without problems. I'm not going to waste time and public money at my GP or NHS treatment centre to tell me what I already know. Two further emails to Simon making my position clear and asking whether he was still happy for me to join you have gone unanswered. I will therefore be making alternative arrangements for spending that weekend and for getting to Brussels. Hope you all have a great time, and perhaps I'll see you some of you in Pompey before you sail.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Ladies and gentlemen, it appears that my presence is no longer welcome on the tour. Following my prang in Ostend, Simon emailed me on Tuesday to say 'If you've been in the care of a neurologist you're going to have to get a medical all-clear to come on the Tour'. Suffice to say, I disagreed, and felt an medical all-clear was exactly what I had. It's now been a week since I crashed, and I have exhibited no symptoms whatsoever of anything worse (had the scans in Ostend somehow missed something....which they hadn't). After rest, as advised by the aforementioned neurologist, playing close attention to anything amiss, and seeking further advice from two of the health professionals in the CycleChat community, I returned to work & have completed two shifts and commutes (on a rather faster bike....) without problems. I'm not going to waste time and public money at my GP or NHS treatment centre to tell me what I already know. Two further emails to Simon making my position clear and asking whether he was still happy for me to join you have gone unanswered. I will therefore be making alternative arrangements for spending that weekend and for getting to Brussels. Hope you all have a great time, and perhaps I'll see you some of you in Pompey before you sail.

Unlike

(But I think Simon's got a point, and would probably ask you to do the same myself)

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Unfortunately @rvw isn't coming - she'll be helping her mother clear out her home of 40+ years so that she can move closer to us. So I've dusted down my solo bike, reminded myself what solo cycling is all about, wondered where my leg muscles have gone and will be looking to one of you to keep me in order. Always assuming, that is, I can manage to get to Guildford station in time to get to Portsmouth and then find the ferry terminal - last time I did that trip I got lost and had to be guided in by phone.

StuAff

Unfortunately @rvw isn't coming - she'll be helping her mother clear out her home of 40+ years so that she can move closer to us. So I've dusted down my solo bike, reminded myself what solo cycling is all about, wondered where my leg muscles have gone and will be looking to one of you to keep me in order. Always assuming, that is, I can manage to get to Guildford station in time to get to Portsmouth and then find the ferry terminal - last time I did that trip I got lost and had to be guided in by phone.

Unlike that too. Remember those directions from Fratton, which couldn't be more route one, and you should be fine. If not, drop me a line.

I understand Simon's position, of course I do, but I was following medical advice, from multiple informed sources, not least the people who did both a CT and ECG on me. I would not have been discharged the following morning if they'd had any doubts, and any underlying issues they somehow missed would have shown up by now. But I couldn't win that argument, I could only lose it, or walk away from it & the tour. So I went with the least worst option.

StuAff

Sorry to hear all this Stu. Perhaps you could email the secretary of the neurologist you saw and ask for a statement from them? I think, like you, that they would not have discharged you so soon if they had any doubts about your condition.
I have a report from the doc, in Flemish...

StuAff

I really, really don't want to prolong this (non) argument. Being in limbo for a few days about whether or not I could go was bad enough. Better than being in hospital, but bad enough. I'd rather cut my losses and move on.

StuAff

Instead of feeling bitterness, I have been making lemonade. Hotels in Bayeux, Honfleur and Rouen cancelled. Rather than expensive/slow options to get to Brussels (and no, I didn't fancy the various solo riding options either) ..three extra nights in Brussels booked, plus Eurostar for the Sunday. Standard Premier class was cheaper than Standard :smile: Brussels makes an excellent base for riding/train days out, prior to the sturm und drang from Neubauten....

AKA Bob

Riding a folding bike far too much of the time...
Two questions....

1.) What do the Norwegians say about the weather or is it still too far off?

2.) Secondly has anyone converted Simon's routes into some GPS tracks and if you have can I copy them

Getting excited and not a Brompton in sight.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Two questions....

1.) What do the Norwegians say about the weather or is it still too far off?

2.) Secondly has anyone converted Simon's routes into some GPS tracks and if you have can I copy them

Getting excited and not a Brompton in sight.
1. a bit too far off
2. If you fancy the gig I'll send you the maps.

Dear Fridayspeeps

Eleven days to go. So here are a few reminders and some words of warning.

The ride. If you’re coming to Cherbourg on either of the Friday ferries I’ll meet you at the ferry port. I’ll lead groups up to the Ibis at La Glacerie (which is the only hotel mentioned thus far). I’ll come to the same hotel in Saturday morning to show you the way to Brix.
I’ve described the three days before, but, in brief....

Saturday – 66 miles . Leave Brix at 9. Lunch in Carentan (about 38 miles), end in Bayeux. A big down first thing, some little ups and downs before Valognes, after which pretty darn flat.

Sunday – 59 miles. Leave Brasserie de L’Europe (on the main drag) at 9. Elevenses in Ouistreham (25 miles), lunch in Hougate (40 miles), tea in Trouville (50 miles) end in Honfleur. Mostly flat but with two hills that are, for all but the superfit, walkers. Great views.

Monday 72 miles. Leave Mercure Hotel at 8 (this is a change, but there is a reason). Lunch Yvetot 38 miles, end in Dieppe. One climb over the ridge that surrounds the Marais, and (honestly) this is a joy. A bit of a climb in to Dieppe at the end. One long steady ascent from Lillebonne. Otherwise pretty flat, but the wind will make the difference.

The warnings.

Coming out of the Ibis at La Glacerie is a bit deadly.

We’re going to Normandy. Bring something to keep the rain off.

France is shut on Monday. Hence the early start. Bring snacks or energy bars.

Round manhole covers. Because Napoleon invented the kilometre. Innit. Avoid.

Seagulls. Pay heed to Eric Cantona’s warning. English seagulls are a bit of a menace but French seagulls are just plain pissed off (understandable, given the state of the manhole covers).You can’t bargain with them. You can’t reason with them. They don’t feel pity or remorse or rear. And if one flies for your head........remember that discretion is the better part of decapitation.

Weather forecasts will follow in a few days. In the mean time, please look your bike over. Check spokes, brakes, cables, and tyres. Think about cutting weight as much as you can. See if you can persuade a friend to bring a lock. Get Euros. And remember….it’s going to be great.

Luv and peas.

Simon

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
Instead of feeling bitterness, I have been making lemonade. Hotels in Bayeux, Honfleur and Rouen cancelled. Rather than expensive/slow options to get to Brussels (and no, I didn't fancy the various solo riding options either) ..three extra nights in Brussels booked, plus Eurostar for the Sunday. Standard Premier class was cheaper than Standard :smile: Brussels makes an excellent base for riding/train days out, prior to the sturm und drang from Neubauten....
What a bugger you won't be on the ride, but glad to see you keep up your spirit!

StuAff

1. a bit too far off
2. If you fancy the gig I'll send you the maps.

Dear Fridayspeeps

Eleven days to go. So here are a few reminders and some words of warning.

The ride. If you’re coming to Cherbourg on either of the Friday ferries I’ll meet you at the ferry port. I’ll lead groups up to the Ibis at La Glacerie (which is the only hotel mentioned thus far). I’ll come to the same hotel in Saturday morning to show you the way to Brix.
I’ve described the three days before, but, in brief....

Saturday – 66 miles . Leave Brix at 9. Lunch in Carentan (about 38 miles), end in Bayeux. A big down first thing, some little ups and downs before Valognes, after which pretty darn flat.

Sunday – 59 miles. Leave Brasserie de L’Europe (on the main drag) at 9. Elevenses in Ouistreham (25 miles), lunch in Hougate (40 miles), tea in Trouville (50 miles) end in Honfleur. Mostly flat but with two hills that are, for all but the superfit, walkers. Great views.

Monday 72 miles. Leave Mercure Hotel at 8 (this is a change, but there is a reason). Lunch Yvetot 38 miles, end in Dieppe. One climb over the ridge that surrounds the Marais, and (honestly) this is a joy. A bit of a climb in to Dieppe at the end. One long steady ascent from Lillebonne. Otherwise pretty flat, but the wind will make the difference.

The warnings.

Coming out of the Ibis at La Glacerie is a bit deadly.

We’re going to Normandy. Bring something to keep the rain off.

France is shut on Monday. Hence the early start. Bring snacks or energy bars.

Round manhole covers. Because Napoleon invented the kilometre. Innit. Avoid.

Seagulls. Pay heed to Eric Cantona’s warning. English seagulls are a bit of a menace but French seagulls are just plain pissed off (understandable, given the state of the manhole covers).You can’t bargain with them. You can’t reason with them. They don’t feel pity or remorse or rear. And if one flies for your head........remember that discretion is the better part of decapitation.

Weather forecasts will follow in a few days. In the mean time, please look your bike over. Check spokes, brakes, cables, and tyres. Think about cutting weight as much as you can. See if you can persuade a friend to bring a lock. Get Euros. And remember….it’s going to be great.

Luv and peas.

Simon
Perhaps the seagulls were members of the Spanish Inquisition in a past life. "Torquemada, do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada, do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada, do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it - you can't Torquemada anything!"

AKA Bob

Riding a folding bike far too much of the time...
@dellzeqq very happy to accept the 'gig' if you can send me the final routes by email should have time today to sort it out. Also if you can annotate the predicted stops along the way I will add the way points.

Top Bottom