The Fridays Tour de Normandie 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AKA Bob

Riding a folding bike far too much of the time...
Ferry booked for the 22.45hrs departure of the Portsmouth - Caen ferry on Thursday 21st May. Arriving at 6.45hr which will give me the whole day to 'pootle' up the coast to La Glacerie or Brix about 71 miles away while being able to enjoy an extra day of french cycling and no additional annual leave needed..

lilolee

Veteran
It was my preference to travel on Thursday. Are any of you on the Thursday list but really preferring Friday?

Me too. Now I have mentally booked the Thursday off, I would also like the opportunity to go over on the Thursday. Any swapsies?

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
Ferry booked for the 22.45hrs departure of the Portsmouth - Caen ferry on Thursday 21st May. Arriving at 6.45hr which will give me the whole day to 'pootle' up the coast to La Glacerie or Brix about 71 miles away while being able to enjoy an extra day of french cycling and no additional annual leave needed..
We probably won't join you but I've ridden the route twice on the Friday's Normandy trip in 2013.
This is the best route, I'd say: http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=cbjpijuyfidavfyh Albeit it's 6 miles longer, probably because it follows the coast.

This is an alternative we took on the way in, but I guess the bit North of Carentan is slower: http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=iudvbdflyoksjegs

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
just to let you know - I'm still chasing DFDS (or their bookers, Aferry) for tickets on the Dieppe to Newhaven trip on the 26th

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
In other news, I still don't know if I've got the leave for this....sheesh.
And now I do, the interminable leave selection process now being complete. Had the Bank Holiday week in my first three weeks picked, got that OK, finally picked the rest today, the previous week was still available so I selected that rather than get the Friday as an odd day (which I'd have to request separately and might not be able to get). Yay!
Might join Titus on the Thursday nighter to Caen, if there's no space on the Friday high speed.

StuAff

Just been shopping (virtually) in Belgium. One of my favourite bands, the splendid Einstürzende Neubauten, are playing two nights in Brussels on 27 & 28 May. So I'll be going on to there rather than get a ferry back. I can get trains from Rouen (a mere 18 miles south of Saint-Saens) via Paris, handily.

StuAff

More shopping: Ibis La Glacerie booked for Friday night, and I'm on the Thursday night sailing into Caen. I'd only go for a ride anyway :smile: @AKA Bob A couple of points: First off, do you have a cabin booked and would you mind a roommate (cheapest ones left were £85...)? Happy to go halves on that of course. In the meantime, settled for a reserved seat. Secondly, there are going to be a load of schoolkids on it, apparently- be warned...
In view of the complications of getting to and from Brussels virtually disappearing with an origamist option, I'll be on Chutney the wonderbike. And if it helps the Saint-Saens accomodation problem, I'm happy to go direct to Rouen from Honfleur.

Last edited:

AKA Bob

Riding a folding bike far too much of the time...
More shopping: Ibis La Glacerie booked for Friday night, and I'm on the Thursday night sailing into Caen. I'd only go for a ride anyway :smile: @AKA Bob A couple of points: First off, do you have a cabin booked and would you mind a roommate (cheapest ones left were £85...)? Happy to go halves on that of course. In the meantime, settled for a reserved seat. Secondly, there are going to be a load of schoolkids on it, apparently- be warned...
In view of the complications of getting to and from Brussels virtually disappearing with an origamist option, I'll be on Chutney the wonderbike. And if it helps the Saint-Saens accomodation problem, I'm happy to go direct to Rouen from Honfleur.

@StuAff I am traveling to France with Rachel and at present we plan to take our big bikes as it would be easier to carry luggage on the trip. When I booked I was informed there where no more two berth cabins left due to the school trip and so we too have gone for reserved seats. Let me have a conversation with Rachel about the idea of getting a three or four berth cabin.

Our plan for Friday was to have a very gentle pootle up the coast probably following @redfalo suggested route and aim to meet the main party in Brix. Its about 70 miles and plenty of time so should be a very relaxed day. Very happy for you to join us for all or most (depends where you are spending the night?) of the route along with anyone else who decides to take the Thursday overnight Caen ferry option.

StuAff

@StuAff I am traveling to France with Rachel and at present we plan to take our big bikes as it would be easier to carry luggage on the trip. When I booked I was informed there where no more two berth cabins left due to the school trip and so we too have gone for reserved seats. Let me have a conversation with Rachel about the idea of getting a three or four berth cabin.

Our plan for Friday was to have a very gentle pootle up the coast probably following @redfalo suggested route and aim to meet the main party in Brix. Its about 70 miles and plenty of time so should be a very relaxed day. Very happy for you to join us for all or most (depends where you are spending the night?) of the route along with anyone else who decides to take the Thursday overnight Caen ferry option.
Good stuff- as stated in #151, I'm in the Ibis La Glacerie. Just had a look at the remaining cabin options- the £85 outside option (2/4 berth) is still there, as is the £135 Commodore one (two beds plus sofa bed that's a bit flasher, TV, tea & coffee, paper & continental breakfast included..). Between three that'll still be pretty reasonable. If the little darlings have most of the cabins, the seating areas might be a bit quieter...As I recall, I didn't sleep that well back in June anyway thanks to all the engine rumblings.

StuAff

Change of plan- Simon informed me this evening there was a ticket on the Cherbourg sailing if I wanted it. Weighed up the pros and cons and decided to take him up on that, loss of the deposit notwithstanding. You two (and any AN Others) will have fun anyway :smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I've got 21 outward tickets and 34 tickets for the return trip. There is absolutely no rush for the money, but I will send out notes in the next week or so to let people know how much they are.

Cherbourg. Please feel free to book hotels. I'd suggest the Ibis at La Glacerie, which is about five miles out of town, but if you wanted to stay in town, then please feel free. Meeting point in the morning is the bakery at Brix. The gentlemen will have to restrain their enthusiasm.

Bayeux. Please feel free to book hotels. Meeting point in the morning is the Brasserie de l'Europe

Honfleur. Please feel free to book hotels. Meeting point in the morning is the Restaurant au Relais de Cyclistes

I aim to do a 2nd recce next month - it's a matter of looking at the forecast and going for it.

Top Bottom