The Fridays tour - Normandy 15th-22nd June

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I thought I'd start a new thread, because the old one had bits about Lincolnshire in it....

Here's the deal

Seven days in a chateau at Brix 13 miles south of Cherbourg. And here's a video

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAElDWTQBcI

and here's a link to the website
http://www.chateaulemontepinguet.co.uk/accommodation.htm

Susie, Miranda, Martin B, Gordon and I are going out for six days in May to recce the rides and sign up cafes. We'll be staying in the coach house of the chateau. Our plan is to find five rides of about sixty miles, possibly a bit more, and work out a day when some of us will go for a long ride and others of us will go to the market in Cherbourg. The rides will be out-and-back, so there's scope for a bit of shortening. We'll check out the chateau, especially the kitchens.

In June we have the entire chateau, the coach house, the mews house, and some of us have hired a couple of gites down the road. Our plan is this: have breakfast, wander off in the direction of the coast, stop for coffee, wander along some more, have a spot of lunch, ride back to the chateau and have ourselves an evening meal. The recce team will scope out the kitchens of the chateau We might self-cater some of the evening meals, or we might go out somewhere locally.

So the idea is to have a fairly easy week, cycling at the usual Fridays pace (which is to say not very quickly, and keeping more or less together) see a bit of Normandy that not many of us have been to, and take in a visit to the market at Cherbourg which, is, I believe, a sight to see. Brix is in the middle of the peninsular, so we'll be setting off westward some days and eastward on other days.

We've had a few cancellations, so if there are any FNRttCers out there who fancy it, get in touch. The cost of accommodation will be about a hundred and thirty quid, and the cost of the ferry about ninety for the round trip. One thing we will attempt to sort on the recce is moving luggage to the chateau from the port - I think we'll hire a cab to take it while the recce team cycles along behind.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
That reminded me of an important point for everyone who's travelling via the evening ferry services (particularly those riding from Caen on the Friday night(: might be an idea to bring a high-viz jacket (or waistcoat etc), the French have rules about wearing them outside urban areas. Probably best to err on the side of caution.

StuartG

slower but further
Can I add checking out wifi opportunities to the list?
Or we could club together and tether to a PAYG broadband SIM.

Gordon P

There's no Calvados? I'll have a beer or a whisky
I've participated in some threads recently that convince me we are still in the nineteenth.
Something tells me that is not good (effectively pre-bike for one thing) but I am intrigued & look forward to elucidation

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
My plan "A" is to take a car and do Pompey - Le Havre and drive up to Brix. Ferry gets in at 11:45 on sat 15th and departs 12:30 Sat 22nd. Why? I can bring the Blackbike and Rhubarb and having a car about might be handy if I suddenly go off this cycling lark, or need to bring home huge amounts of Belgian beer..

Can anyone see the flaw in this plan?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
You'll be expected to carry everyone else's hooch back home as well as your own, thus breaking your suspension. The solution is to bring a second person and ensure your boot is full of bike and luggage. A tandem would help, and two week's worth of kit would be ideal.

Top Bottom