The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I did mine, I think, Saturday/Sunday night. Last bit of my journey into Ostend was in an ambulance, but 99 and a bit miles were me or at least done at cycling speeds. Honest. So I'm claiming it. https://www.strava.com/activities/298201088
I'll almost certainly do another ton this month anyway.....
Just been reading your write up and suddenly my strained knee doesn't seem quite such an issue after all.:ohmy:

GWS. :okay:

rb58

Enigma
Nailed my May century with the help of @ianrauk and Long Martin. The Hop Garden Audax round the lanes of Kent. A splendid day, cracking route - lumpy, windy but with some great scenery. It was my first hundred on my new Cannondale Synapse. I love the hydraulic disc brakes - so much more assured than the rim brakes on my other bikes. And Di2 is great - slick, fast, precise. I was a bit uncertain on how I would get on with a compact double - my other geared bikes have triples - especially was we had to ascend Birling Hill at 125 miles, by which time I was very tired. But all was good, although the jump from the 50 ring to the 34 is a bit harsh. Not sure about the saddle though. Got another 200km audax lined up for next week, and will probably try for another century on 31st, to make three for the month and getting me back on track for 26 centuries this year. Just shy of 154 miles today.

Norry1

Legendary Member
Got my Ton in yesterday - my first Ton on a fixed bike. I rode with totallyfixed and Dr Pink (Steve and Helen) of this parish. It was a Forum Fixed ride but due to many different issues, it was only the three of us in the end! The thread is here https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/richard-3rd-100-mile-fixed-gear-ride.175678/post-3688586

It was a great ride and with excellent company of very good riders.

My June Ton will be the Wales Velothon plus a few extra miles

sittingbull

Veteran
Got my Ton in yesterday - my first Ton on a fixed bike.

Well done and some nice pics! Particularly like the one of the train on the level crossing, I tried one like that once and missed.

So how does riding a ton on a fixed bike compare with the others you've done? I've never ridden fixed and would have concerns over getting up hills, getting down hills and my knees.

I've just bought a mid 80s Gazelle (arrived today :smile:) which is currently running single speed on a freehub conversion kit. I bought it for the frame with the intention of restoring full gearing but having decided to give SS a go I've also picked up some flip/flop wheels to give fixed a go too :smile:

Hope your ostrich is OK.

;)

Norry1

Legendary Member
Thanks. I was going to #MilanSanRemo on that pic :smile:

Riding a fixed that far was a challenge but not quite as tough as I expected. It was quite lumpy but we think about 14% max. Downhill is a bit interesting especially if you don't use your brakes like Mr. TotallyFixed. He hit 42mph, which on a fixed is totally bonkers. I only managed 34.2mph.

My legs are okay today, but that slight "warmth" in my knees, showing they worked a bit harder yesterday.

Fixed is definitely fun.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Mays ton in the bag for me yesterday.
Did "Barcud Coch" 200km Audax. Started in Brecon fast flat ride to Llandovery for a big breakfast in West End Café then into the hills around Llyne Brianne ,Tregaron, Devils bridge, Elan Valley ,Llanwrtd Wells then over the Mountain road back to Brecon on very tired legs.
Route is about 213 kms and 3300 meters climbing.I was strongly reminded by my legs that I need to lose a stone or two:blush:

DSCN1330_zpslhzqzoue.jpg

DSCN1334_zps0rd2c1we.jpg

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Nice one @Soltydog ^_^ Should be better conditions by now, I'm still wearing full fingered gloves :blink:

A bit early in the month, but hey, they all count :becool:

That leaves 5 to complete for May :okay:

it is 'better' conditions that it has been previously, I had short sleeves & shorts (& mitts) all day & was comfortable. My tan lines have now actually started to appear after a few hours in the saddle today & it's the middle of May :blush: It won't be too long before they are starting to fade away again :sad: It certainly wasn't cold today, just too damn windy!

Top Bottom